It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get a CB for cheap
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

for under 100 bucks you can get the whole set up... just installed one in my truck... worked great!...

Here's the stuff:

-CB radio: So you can tak, this one has about a 2 mile range... 40 channels, emergency channel. It does not have a scan feature though so you have to search channels manually if your looking to have a random convo. It has the ability to hook up an external speaker if the inside one is not loud enough which uses a mono jack, you also have a mono jack if you want to add a PA.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024DIDK/ref=oss_product

-Antenna: The antenna i got is a 4 foot firestik firefly. the 4 foot is pretty big, a 3 footer would really be fine for a tailight mount, if you doing a roof mount a 2 foot would be fine. There is a difference between the firestik and firefly. The difference is that the firefly can handle less watts ( the radios you will install in you truck will not even be close to hitting that wattage (200W). The firestik original can handle 600 watts. Also the firefly in my opinion is a better choice as its much lighter so it will be less stress on your vehicle and have less whipping action. Finally the firefly is more flexible so it can take a bit more abuse with branches etc. Another fact about the firestik products is they have tunable tips ( make sure you get one that is) it's easier to tune the cb properly ( basically you dont have to cut it if it's tunable). what i ordered is below, but you can type in any size antenna ( depending on where you want to mount) and find it... they also have diff colors... i of course chose black
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QB917Q/ref=oss_product

-Mount/Cable: When i bought my mount i bought a doorjamb mount to mount by my taillight. the mount i got was also combo-ed with the 18 foot of coaxil cable needed to wire up the antenna to the transmitter(radio). They also have other mounting solutions such as hood mounts etc... look up firestik mounts( ini amazon) and you will see different types. If you already have you mount and just need the cable the second link is for you. the first link is what i purchased
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X39TQ0/ref=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-MU-8R18-Eighteen-antenna-coaxial/dp/B000X3814G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296970970&sr=1-3-spell

-Spring: although not necessary I installed a spring ... the spring I bought can handle a 5foot firestik. so handling my 4 foot firefly is no issue. the spring helps if your antenna will hit things... it lowers the chance of the antenna breaking as the antenna will flex and have even more give with the spring. since it is a heavy duty spring you dont get whipping( loose springs when driving allow for the vehicle to whip and hit ur truck etc... it's not bad just annoying
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00042LC9M/ref=oss_product

-Quick Disconnect: Another optional component but i think this is more important than the spring. The quick disconnect allows you push down and twist off the antenna. why would you wanna do this... well in my case my antenna is high and taking it off will help me get under lower things. If i didn't have the quick disconnect you have to take a wrench and loosen the bolt. Also it allows you to take off the antenna to tune the tip easier and you don't always have to keep the antenna attached. Only thing i see as an issue is that it's much easier for someone to run off with it if you leave it on your truck permanently...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UTQUAK/ref=oss_product

all in all this will get you up and running... i have an swr guage so don't buy one... we will get it tuned up and ready to go. Let me all know what you guys decide to do or if you have any more questions.

I want to do a slider/cb install party so get your stuff together!!!!!

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

Post subject: Re: Get a CB for cheap
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:00 am 
LOST Member

i got a cb for xmas that i need some help setting up. let me know whats up

desert camo seats desert camo wraps
235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

so down,been wanting a CB for a while now, i would maybe opt for a better radio, but thats just me

-Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders(custom)
-Engine skid, Skidrow Transmission skid
-4" Lift - JBA 4.5 Gen A-arms
Installed@165,920k
Pilot lights on cowl
Engine replacement at 175k

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm 
LOST Member

also need my diff fluids changed but dont know how

desert camo seats desert camo wraps
235/75/16 at's on MOABS
Monkey Farts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

steve03sport wrote:

Diffs are very easy. You'll have a harder time finding the fluids then doing it. I did all of my fluids except for the the transmission. That's to much of a pain and waaaay to messy.

Here's my thread on changing the diffs and transfer case.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55217

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Vranes17 wrote:
so down,been wanting a CB for a while now, i would maybe opt for a better radio, but thats just me

like i said you can interchange a better radio if you want... for the price there is no better radio out there, midland is actually a great CB company. The goal of this thread in general is to keep the price down that way more people can have radios which is a important part to wheeling ( being in contact with each other)

steve03sport wrote:
i got a cb for xmas that i need some help setting up. let me know whats up

your a little far,so unless you show up at a meet and greet i wont be able to do the install for you... but I can describe a step by step process for you. and answer any questions you'd like to know.

steve03sport wrote:

it's not too bad as VMKJCRD said... read his how to and basically just take your time... also when you can stock up on fluid as it's always good to have around just in case

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
LOST Member

if every one really getten one im in... been thinken bout getten one for some time now but no one else had one so what was i gonna do talk to my self lol :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Last time I had a CB a couple years back, I mostly heard Spanish when I turned it on. Good for keeping an ear out for policias. Also heard guys talking about my girlfriend... Main thing I used it for was to tell the semi's to stop blocking traffic in the fast lane. Would be cool to be in a group with cb's. Got mine at a garage sale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have one... rachel has one... guys at the meet n greet asked me to wire them if they got em so yeah... its the craze.... everyone is doin it haa

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 pm 
LOST Member

Maybe ill order one this week if I dont pick up a welder :)...

Sent from my galaxy tab using tapatalk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welder > CB
But I have been wanting to get one for a while.

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welder is only greater if ur gunna me stuff (for all of us cough cough) lol.... plus if everyone has cbs and u dont u dont wanna b the guy they makin fun of... lol j.k.... like i said if u get it i will help u wire it n tune your antenna etc

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm 
LOST Member

Hah and wa would u like me to make u?

Sent from my galaxy tab using tapatalk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

first on the list is a light bar. i know exactly how to make/ mount it too. and when your done with that we can talk about a rear bumper :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got a CB for Christmas as well. Looking to set mine up. Looks like quite the project to wire it front to back. How long does it take?

3.7L V6
Cragar 397 Soft 8's - BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2
Pioneer MVH-P8200BT
Reese Class IV (Rigid) hitch
Husky Liners

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

like 20 minutes if you do it right... there two method you can use. I used the interior method, but you can route it the exterior way which is actually much easier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah, from the front to the tail light? Sounds good. I will have to check that out.

3.7L V6
Cragar 397 Soft 8's - BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2
Pioneer MVH-P8200BT
Reese Class IV (Rigid) hitch
Husky Liners

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey John, after seeing Peter's thread, any pictures of your install?
I'm leaning toward actually getting one now.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I dont got any but i can take some... it's really easy bud

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
it's really easy bud

I know, I guess what I meant to say was how about a picture of where you actually mounted the antenna.
Pretty much to see how tall the five footer is.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ