It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CV axle fixer upper
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm 
LOST Member

When you did that did the end of small end of boot move down on shaft as well?
I'm thinking of taking factory clamp off, extending boot down and installing hose clamp to hold boot.
Do you have an after pic?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually I don't have a picture of an after.. try what I said and you will see what I mean. It is almost instantaneously noticeable.
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeah. When I installed my latest CV I had to purge some of the air from the boot being compressed with a screwdriver as infernicus mentioned as well.

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
GY Duratracs 245/70/16 AT's on Cragar Soft 8s
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 am 
LOST Member

Went under jeep last night and boot seemed to be wearing a little where it was folded over clamp, I tried to just le some air out as you guys suggested and it didn't seem to do much so I completly removed factory clamp and extended boot down on axle. I then used a regular hose clamp on boot to hold on axle (being carefull not to overtighten). Drove about 50 miles last night and all seems ok for now. Boot is no longer folded over on itself. Ill be happy if I get a full year out of this axle. I've been wearing thru boots pretty quickly.
If I can figure out how to post pics, I will update.
As usual Thanks for help guys.
Keep your fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Jimjeep, are you using the NAPA remans? I got a leaky boot after installing the NAPA reman shaft, and then decided to just get a MOPAR replacement. The NAPA boots are of lesser quality, almost a soft neoprene, and seem to fail quickly under a lifted KJ. I had mine on for 700 miles and it started to show bad signs of wear and splattering CV grease. I did find a suitable OEM quality boot, but have yet to fit it to the CV axle. It seems you have worked out the issues with the hose clamp idea anywyas. I think Dean mentioned to me about using a hose clamp with the NAPA remans as well, but have yet to try it out. So, I went MOPAR on my latest axle and the quality of the boot is more durable, a more rigid plastic than the NAPA remans. Have had it under the Jeep for over 4000 miles so far, and all looks good. I guess time will tell with how we make out with these modifications/repairs...keep us posted.
-jeff

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am 
LOST Member

Yes NAPA remans. Did you do just Mopar boot or whole Axle? If Axle, how much did it cost?
The only reason I used hose clamp is because the smallest "pleat" in inner boot was folded over the clamp itself and I was afraid of it wearing. I have replaced Axle many times due to the boot wearing on itself and eventually splitting on wear groove. I have not tried just replacing boot yet because by the time I notice and am able to change I worry that enough crud gets in to ruin CV joint itself.
So far clamp has worked, but only have about 100 miles on it.
I have unofficially switched with the wife because she only drives about 20 miles a day. I check every evening. I do at least 200.
The 87 volvo doesn't quite handle the power lines like the jeep though.
Sorry no pics, I havent mastered that level of technology yet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I hear ya on poking your head under the Jeep and checking everytime. Kinda sucks, but comes with the territory I suppose! :dizzy:
Well, I bought a complete MOPAR axle. But I also have an extra MOPAR quality boot that I am going to try to replace on my old NAPA reman that tore a boot, just in case I have another failure or as a trail spare. I never changed just the boot, so I thought it might be a fun little project and learning experience. The MOPAR axle is about 200 dollars from a dealer. I used Moparparts direct to buy the axle. I know the remans are much cheaper, but I was tired of watching the boots, and worrying about having to replace it again. SO the extra money I paid for a MOPAR axle is peace of mind. Especially because I don't want to be messing with CV axles in the winter outside on a driveway! COLD :5SHOTS:

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

I was thinking the same thing about keeping the old axle and changing out boot to a Mopar one but I left it on jeep tore open for way to long this time. The thought of winter made me do it now as well. Plus the 130 core charge. This one dosen't seem to be as tight on itself as others I have had installed. Well see how long this one goes.
I found a local mechanic who does side work out of his garage and talked him into letting me do at his place with his tools so I can do on my own next time. I have no garage either. Keep thread updated with how the Mopar boot last as will I with the NAPA. 200 miles and counting, whoo hoo!!
Enjoy the snow it'll be here soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm 
LOST Member

so i believe my passenger side is shot, how much is this going to cost me? :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:06 pm 
LOST Member

cost me about $60 and an $80 core which i got back wheni gave in the new one.

The intermediate was like $70 and it was a pretty easy job to do, i can lend you the axle nut socket if you want.

4.10s, True Tracs Front & Rear
245/75/16 BFG Mud Terrain KM2's on MOABs
Renegade Lightbar
ARB Bumper + Warn M8000
--
'84 CJ-7, 4.56s, Yukon Shafts, ARBs F&R, 4.5" BDS, 33x10.5r15, M8000.
--
'13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 6.0L -- Stock and staying that way!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Brian. I had some issues witht he Napas, but a lot of folks seem to not have any problems. Dean also had some tearing issues with his remans. The Mopar is about 200 bucks, but is def more durable. The intermediate I got from Erics Auto and it was 112 with the shipping. So far so good and it's been about 35000 miles on the axles. I can def tell it is starting to wear as I hear a similar rotational sound within the axle, but not the thumping I was recieving before I swapped the original axles. I got it down pretty good, and if you need the 35mm socket set as well, I have that and a pnuematic hammer chisel if you aren't able to separate the parts. Lemme know, I'm always headed east on the weekends anyways and could swing by.

Full Mopar Skids
Yakima roof rack system
ARB bumper
Hella 500's
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA 4.5 A-arms
Cobra Classic CB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ya, my boot ripped shortly after installation. It most definitely could have been from pinching/slightly tearing it during installation.

I believe the internals of the Mopar and NAPA are probably the same.
If you want to learn more about how a CV works (by taking it apart and back together again) then, you can get a NAPA Reman for about $60, I think, and a new Mopar boot for about $40, I believe, then swap the (significantly) thinner NAPA boot for the beefier Mopar.

Really it comes down to time -vs- money -vs- ease of installation.

I also have the 35mm axle nut socket, and I won't be anywhere near you.

The intermediate shaft, which they recommend buying new as well, keeps going up in price, and also harder to find (I think).
I think I got mine for $90 shipped. I didn't even separate it from the CV, since it was stuck in there, I jut returned the whole thing back to NAPA, when I was asked why it didn't fit in the box, I told them I didn't know, haha.

Anyway. Good Luck. And if I'm available, you know I'm more than happy to help.
You can read all about my story here; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56509

8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
LOST Member

i hate spending money. i will keep you guys informed. Might be a while for me to do this, the kitchen just ate up another $2500 for countertops