It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing the pinstripes!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:57 pm 
LOST Addict

I know they are a badge of honor....but it would be nice to remove them until the next trip

I just picked up a bottle of Mothers Scratch Remover. I figured for $5 or so, it was worth a shot.

I'm going to hold off until the sun is back up before really raving about it, but just with the few minutes I spent on one door, it made the scratches all but dissapear! I can still see them, of course, because I know they are there, but they don't stand out quite so much.

It's an easy treatment to use, you just smear it on with a terry cloth (it says to rub it in in many different directions so that it gets in all the scratches, then you wipe it off in circular motions with a clean cloth. It says to put wax on over it, which I will when I do the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:10 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'll try my method tomorrow clay bar & meguires tech wax on a small area so look for my results after 4:00 sometime,although mine may hide them better being silver but we'll see,I'll still let ya know

04 COLUMBIA ED. & 04 SPORT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm 
LOST Member

I've used that on my bike before. Good stuff!!

L.O.S.T.#000574
Blue Maglite, Revos on spare rims, Fuzzy Dice.
Long Island/Vermont

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:58 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

well I tried out my method & the area I did all gone well hidden actualy you realy gotta look hard & know how to put the light to see them,maybe some weekend I'll get wash it until then it's character :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used the Meguires Tech Wax this weekend. Pin stripes are ALL GONE NOW. :D The wife seems a lot happier now too :oops: Anyways, the only thing I have to take care of now is my flares. Having a sport, my flares are the grey plastic ones. I can't exactly wax those. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I also pulled out a 10" long, 3" diameter piece of a tree from on top of my transfer case skid. It was just sitting there. :shock: Just another place to have to look when done wheeleing I guess.

2004 Sport with just enough to get me in trouble 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRCorcoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:46 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Tim I use Eagle 1 wet tire shine on my wifes flares to shine them up you could try that it might blend them in spray it on a application pad & wipe it won't turn them white like armor all when they get wet either

I still haven't done mine yet been kinda busy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

I swear I've seen a product on tv or something, like on Trucks maybe? That is specifically for that kind of thing. Also, bikers use something called like "blackout" or something like that for black powdercoated things... I'd say just go take a look at the cleaning/polishing stuff at pep boys or autozone. they have a whole wall of the stuff!

L.O.S.T.#000574
Blue Maglite, Revos on spare rims, Fuzzy Dice.
Long Island/Vermont

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got all my door pinstripes removed this week. Brought it to the body shop to repair the damage I got from the tree at Paragon (passenger side) and the parked car from making a u turn in an area smaller than my turning radius (driver side)(oops!). Also got the leather seat upper cover and the door panel replaced from the damage done when they threw the brick through my window. :x

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:59 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

glad to hear you got it back alright,time to hit the trails now :twisted: are gonna make it for Memorial day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, so now my pinstriping is back :x I have no idea what happened, but the only thing I can think of is it rained out a couple of times since I waxed it. I can't believe that wax would wash off in the rain though. Man, this really pi$$e$ me off. Any ideas?

I ran through a Haffner's car wash, then I used Meguire's Tech Wax (paste), with their applicator. I then buffed it off by hang using terry cloth towels. I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2004 Sport with just enough to get me in trouble 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRCorcoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:01 pm 
LOST Addict

PCTim wrote:
OK, so now my pinstriping is back :x I have no idea what happened, but the only thing I can think of is it rained out a couple of times since I waxed it. I can't believe that wax would wash off in the rain though. Man, this really pi$$e$ me off. Any ideas?

I ran through a Haffner's car wash, then I used Meguire's Tech Wax (paste), with their applicator. I then buffed it off by hang using terry cloth towels. I'm at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I gave up, my pinstriping is here to stay. The washing/waxing/etc only seems to work while it's wet and for a short time afterwards. When the sun hits it, I can see all the little hairline scratches.

I'm considering trying an auto-detailing place to see what they think. I don't think I'll end up fixing them (since I'd rather spend that money on more fun stuff), but I'd like to get a professional opinion on what can be done. Plus, I don't want the scratches to become rust or anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:43 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

don't worry about them rusting unless you went down to bare metal which I highly doubt,the same thing is happening with mine if you can get your hands on a buffer & some compound perferably light to med. they will come out & I'd be more than willing to do it for you but I don't have the stuff I have 10yrs detailing under my belt they will come out,I gotta save some $$ myself so I can get what I need you'd think after all that time in the bussiness I'd be set for life :roll: