It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wanted: tow hooks for 05
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:04 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone have front or rear tow hooks with the mounting hardware, or possibly a hitch that they would be willing to let go for cheap?

I can pick up anywhere within an hour of gloucester Mass.

Post subject: Re: wanted: tow hooks for 05
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

kayadog wrote:
Anyone have front or rear tow hooks with the mounting hardware, or possibly a hitch that they would be willing to let go for cheap?

I can pick up anywhere within an hour of gloucester Mass.

I have a rear towhook I should probably let go of at some point (now that I have a hitch). I only have the bolts, as I had to reuse the nut-insert things when I installed the hitch. I'll give it to you for whatever the current value is for one of those puppies is, saves me the hassle of putting it on eBay and probably $arm and $leg to ship it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:27 am 
LOST Member

Let me know how much you want for it. I'll find out if I can buy the nutsert strip from the dealer.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've never had a rear hook installed, but the hitch uses bolts that bolt into nuts that are part of the frame (3 on each side).

2004 Sport with just enough to get me in trouble 8)
http://picasaweb.google.com/TRCorcoran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:27 pm 
LOST Addict

PCTim wrote:
I've never had a rear hook installed, but the hitch uses bolts that bolt into nuts that are part of the frame (3 on each side).

yep.

The rear hook uses two of those bolts and one that is off to the side with a nut insert thing. (I assume it's a nut insert thing). The tow hook looks like a T:

Code:
  ___
  |o|
  | |
  |o|
__| |__
|x   o|
   J

Forgive how awful that diagram looks, but if you are looking up at the bottom of the tow hook under the jeep, the Os are bolts that are used and the X is a bolt that is not used. J is the way the hook sticks out. Maybe a photo would have made more sense.

18mm bolts they are, and you will need an extension just to get to reach the second center bolt (the sides of that part are a channel you need to get the socket into).

But in any case, you need that nut-zert. I can try to take out the one I have (since it's no longer being used), but I remember trying to and it was a real pain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:19 am 
LOST Member

Thanks-- Thaks actually very informative. I'll try and track down a nutzert or find out if there is any way to do it without one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:35 pm 
LOST Addict

kayadog wrote:
Let me know how much you want for it. I'll find out if I can buy the nutsert strip from the dealer.

Jeff

I dunno what a good price for it really is. jparts has em for like $65 including the hardware, so how's $35 sound? I'm not positive that the bolts I have will work (and here's why):

The hook was factory installed and since it shares 2 of the 3 bolts with the skid plate, I only took one of them off. I have all 6 of the bolts that came with the hitch that I didn't use, though. I'm assuming that the hitch bolts are the same size + thread, but I really can't be certain since I never used em. The hitch was specifically for the Liberty, but it's not really a name-brand, so that's no guarantee of anything.

You going on the memorial day run? I can get it to you then if you want, or possibly sooner depending on schedule. I'll PM you some details once I get back in the state (I'm travelling for work at the moment).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

$35 sounds very fair if I can figure out the nutzert thing. Right now it appears that it isn't available separately from the dealer. I put a post up about it so maybe someone else has one or can to tell me how to get around it.

My KJ isn't ready to wheel yet. Its totally stock and is my wife's DD. I have an XJ that is a little more built.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:00 pm 
LOST Addict

I thought the dealers sold those nut-zert things as you also use them on the skids but when I was there last I forgot to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

Check Lowes for the nutsert things... Or even like an autozone.

L.O.S.T.#000574
Blue Maglite, Revos on spare rims, Fuzzy Dice.
Long Island/Vermont