It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installing Frankenlift into CRD....DIY or shop
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,
Been reading the wealth of info on this board and finally decided to post.
I've got an '06 CRD and want to install a lift and would like some advice.

First of all i'm not a big off road guy. I just moved out to Reno from Boston, got one look at all the trails and was amazed you could just drive anywhere.
So i did and got two flats! These stock tires stink (and i'm clueless with 4x4 techniques)! This got me looking into options. So here i am considering lift and new tires.

I know nothing about tires/wheels for this thing but have spent the last month reading up on the lift options.
I've decided the Frankenlift w/OME struts seems best.

I am pretty handy mechanically but this seems like a rather big one person, up on jackstands job. Am i wrong?
I'd have to rent tools for sure (spring compressor, maybe a few odd ball sockets).
All the local shops i called quoted $550 and up! Ouch!

Can i run the stock wheel/tire setup for a while?
When/If i purchase new tires should i keep the factory wheels?

Sorry for all the questions but i want to do it right once.

-john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Heya,

I'm looking to do something similar to my '05 CRD. Probably the Frankenlift and 31" tires, maybe 32s if they will not rub. I've been searching myself on these forums and have found pieces of information, but not everything I need. When it comes to tire sizes I'm a newb, so I have no clue what P-blah-blah-blah means with respect to actual diameter size.

Also, I'd like to know what type of mileage loss you get with the CRD and a lift+31/32s. I've seen some people post dramatic losses (3mpg!), while other CRD owners have said they don't see any change.

----
'05 Liberty CRD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:56 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

You won't need a spring compressor for the Frankenlift as it comes already assembled. If you're mechanically inclined the job isn't so bad. Yup, up on jack stands and with a few metric sockets you can get it done. The hardest part will be getting the cleavis back on as the new springs will make the fit a little tight. For this, you'll need a good crow bar and stout screwdriver; the former to leverage some space and the latter to pilot the bolt holes. There rear is pretty simple. You need a way to drill a hole for the bump stop and also need a jack to flex out the axle enough to slide the new spring in. Pretty simple stuff.

AllJ sends along instructions don't they? 4WD and SUV magazine has a great write up on the install. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of it.

I did it by myself so if a fat old 58 year old can do it, you can. :D

Or we can arrange for you to drive to my place and we can do it together. I'm about 4.5 hours west of you though.

Oh, and welcome to LOST NorCal. I assume you've looked over our web site.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

An easy trick for lining up the clevis bolt holes is to use a ratchet strap running from the clevis to the opposite side of the skid. Use it to pull the clevis inline and slip the bolt in, makes quick, easy work of it.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Matty he will need a spring compressor, he's doing a CRD Frankenlift using stock springs. I didn't do my lift I actually found a shop that did mine for 260 with alignment included. good luck.

2005 Renegade
Frankenlift
245/75/16 Goodyear MT/Rs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

$260 with alignment.....Can you forward that shop info to me.

Indeed i know that with the CRD you need to disassemble the strut assembly yourself....this is a bit bothersome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got off lucky, the guy who owned the shop said it was the hardest lift he had installed. I think he got the rough end and won't do it at that price again. Next I'm gonna get him to install a locker. :twisted:

2005 Renegade
Frankenlift
245/75/16 Goodyear MT/Rs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

Well i've looked at the install instruction and they should have the lift all in stock next week.......i may order it and give it a shot.

I've noticed guys are running rubicon wheels.
What would you all suggest for a tire/wheel setup?

I'd like to keep the stock wheels if that's an option and get a tire that looks good but also will be good in the snow and as an everyday driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:04 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

The Rubicon wheels look good. Just depends on what you are going to do with your KJ. I went to Cragar 16x7 Black D steel because the rocks were tearing up my stock wheels.

A lot of us run Goodyear Wrangler MTRs but I hear they're lousy in the snow. You might look at other 4WD vehicles in your area and do a little surveying with the tire shops up there in Reno to see what folks are running. I know some guys are running two tire sets.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think i'll try to find a set of Runicon tires/wheels.

Will the spare still fit in the back if i have Rubicon wheels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:47 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

hurleyskis wrote:
I think i'll try to find a set of Runicon tires/wheels.

Will the spare still fit in the back if i have Rubicon wheels?

I believe so but pose that question to the General Topics. There's lot's offolks running that rim that'll be able to tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Haven't heard of anyone having issues with the Moabs fitting as a spare. Welcome to the site by the way!

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Now to add to the difficult decision making...

I talked with the folks at boulderbar. They say that in October (give or take) OME should
have rear shocks available as well. The question is do i wait and get all 4 OME or go with
the currently available OME fronts and Rancho rears?

Tire question:
I'm thinking the BFGoodrich A/T KO would be nice and i was thinking of getting them before the lift.
I think 245/70 R16 will fit unlifted, but once lifted will i/ can i put the 245/75 R16 on? And if that is
the better choice will it fit now without the lift?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:04 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

hurleyskis wrote:
Now to add to the difficult decision making...

I talked with the folks at boulderbar. They say that in October (give or take) OME should
have rear shocks available as well. The question is do i wait and get all 4 OME or go with
the currently available OME fronts and Rancho rears?

Tire question:
I'm thinking the BFGoodrich A/T KO would be nice and i was thinking of getting them before the lift.
I think 245/70 R16 will fit unlifted, but once lifted will i/ can i put the 245/75 R16 on? And if that is
the better choice will it fit now without the lift?

You should pose that first question in the CRD section and see what those Frankenlifters think. Unless you want o wait until October. That's your decision.

I'd put 245/75/R16s on but you'll probably get soem rubbing, mostly on lock-to-lock until you fet your lift. But also while you have the standard 5.5" backspace on you wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well i found 5 Rubicon wheels of an '06 this afternoon for $150.

They've got a couple of minor scuffs on the edge but for $150 it was a deal.

I'll be getting BFG A/T KO tires installed today in the 245/70 R16 size.
I'm hoping i can run these for a couple of weeks before lifting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:55 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

$150? That's a hell of a price. Around here a set at $500 on Craigslist lasts a couple of hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, It makes shelling out the $ for the brand spanking new tires not seem so bad : )

The guys over at BIG O gave me a good deal on 5 mounted/balanced including swapping over the
pressure transmitter/sensors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

:D They look and fit perfect!

No rubbing at all, the pressure sensor all work perfect. Couldn't be happier......well maybe if i lift her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:01 am 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Got skids? Limited Slip diff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Factory skids....no limited slip diff.

Just got back from a little test drive and i've got the slightest rub on the crimp weld plastic in the front wheel wells.
I can't figure out how to get that wheel liner out so i can bang the weld over.
There are these little black clips that don't seem to want to come off.....and ideas?