It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good trails in the Mammoth Lakes area?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi,
I'm a member of the L.O.S.T. KJ West group and will be taking a short vacation to Mammoth Lakes, the first week in October. I posted this same message in our folder, but only got a reference to books. I hate to spend $40.00 for a book that I'll only use once, and our local library doesn't have any of them in their catalog. If you know of some good Class 1 or 2 trails in the Mammoth Lakes/Inyo area, could you give me some coordinates to their start and a brief description? Or maybe a Google Earth tracing of the route? Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Mammoth is a pretty civilized town. There's gobsa dirt tracks to travel down. And take your trout pole with you.

I recommend just stopping in to the tourist center when you get to town and ask. I'm sure they know of a few. Save yourself the price of a book.

Years ago I took a track goping south from the road into town up to a couple of cirque lakes. Really pretty, maybe a 2 in a place or two and high enough altitude where low range helps you get around. Some terrific brookie fishing too.

But, man, there are tracks everywhere so just take one and see where it goes.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Also responded to thread on KJWest. Deadman/ Joaquin Ridge (class 2) to 10000 feet on lunar terrain, and Laurel Lakes (class 3) to 10000 feet up Sierra cyn to a turquoise lake.