It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slick rock trail , next ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:13 pm 
LOST Member

This trail is similar to Strawberry. Awesome views, a couple of toughy spots, but still fairly easy run , good time for all. It is located at the end of hwy 4 at entrance to lake alpine and exits at below at spicer meadows rd. camping area. It is about a 2 1/2 hr. one way non stop trail plan on 5 hrs. if stopping for lunch and such. I know Ben ran with Lil matty and I last summer there. I'll see if I can find some pic's and I'll post 'em up in a little bit.

06 TJ rubi,SBC,WARN winch,sliders,skids,corners,Teleflex bellyup,Viair,AEM intake,BANKS header & exhaust,5.5"Rubicon Express short arm,5:38's,35x12.5x15's,Sony explode/infinity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

here were the only pic's i could find and how do you insert them in a column form.[img][img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/wendykreissig/PhotoLibrary-238.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/wendykreissig/PhotoLibrary-236.jpg[/img][/img]Image

06 TJ rubi,SBC,WARN winch,sliders,skids,corners,Teleflex bellyup,Viair,AEM intake,BANKS header & exhaust,5.5"Rubicon Express short arm,5:38's,35x12.5x15's,Sony explode/infinity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 pm 
LOST Member

I need rock rails first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Neal wrote:
I need rock rails first

Yeah, it was a close call on painted rock for sure, but we got you through. :wink:
Slick Rock looks awesome too. I am gone the week from Aug 8 to 15 so anytime but then is good for me I think. :D
I need to do some modifying to my rock rails as well to beef them up, try to get on that next week. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Found these of Slick Rock. Cool pics.

http://www.4x4trailmaps.com/Maps/State/ ... /index.htm

Is there camping at a lake nearby or something. I'd love to do an overnighter. Wheel one day and take our time and then stay the night at the lake or something. Is that an option at Slick Rock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:59 pm 
LOST Member

there is plenty of camping and that is when we usually run this trail.I will be there this year most likely around the first part of sep. over labor day or whatever that holiday is. It is more difficult to run it backwards as matty and i used to. the trip of pics above with ben was run the normal direction. Either way , if you enjoyed Strawberry you will like this alot. It starts at lake alpine and ends at uttica reservoir there is a couple more lakes around there that makes it a great place to stay. I'm pretty sure that you can camp overnight on trail cuz there are some sweet sites made by us wheelers. We usually stay at Spicer Meadows Reservoir campground. It has restrooms and such with really roomy campsites and is only a couple of dirt road miles from trailhead. Which means e-z on and off usage of trail. Stores and gas are not far at all,some at bear valley and lake alpine. Excellent lake trout for us fishermen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, I'm sold. Early Sept works for me. In early Sept. I was going to give a go at the Rubicon from Tahoe to Cadillac and back maybe stay overnight, but that was before the Aussie locker release completely fell apart. :? So now I am running open diffs for the rest of the year probably and we'll see what I decide to go with later for a locker. I'd like to do some camping and fishing and make a nice over night trip out of it. How far away is Deer Valley Trail? Could we do one one day and the other the next? Is that too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

It's about 10 miles or so north of lake alpine. It runs from hwy 4 to hwy 's 88 and 89. by lower blue lake.It is rated very difficult requiring serious armor and recommending lockers front and rear. Last year Matty and I tried it out but I failed to gas up prior to the climb. I had a quarter to half tank and figured that would be enough to go twelve miles across the mtn. but about 1 and a half miles into it and only a few hundred yards away from starting point ( due to the switchback road ) my fuel light went on and both of us decided we should turn back. It took us about four hours to go three miles. It is every bit of a slow crawl. I do believe where we turned around was almost thru the hardest part but would've required more gas and time. Both of which we were running out of ,as we ran slickrock first. Come to find out i bent my drag link anyways and ruined my front tires in 18 miles till getting back to camp and tools to fix it. That was both of us in T.J.'s that trip and we agreed then that K.J.'s would need to be built and well protected, to even attempt that first stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Good to know. I guess we'll stick to Slick Rock only. :wink: Unless everyone is feeling lucky. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:08 am 
LOST Addict

Curious, I found these guys with info on some Sierra trails and they say that a stock jeep could make it through Deer Valley. :shock: Are these guys nuts?
http://www.californiajeeper.com/deerval/review.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:43 am 
LOST Member

from south to north was the direction we were planning on going. uphill climb very rough. a stock jeep going north to south could bounce down the hill i imagine. I still wanna try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 am 
LOST Addict

So do you want to give Deer Valley a go as well as Slick Rock Ken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
LOST Member

Oh yeah I'm down with that. The weekend after next my buddy and I are going up to scout out our fishin hole to see if we can bring our bigger boat up. I might be able to run up to hermit valley there and climb that hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Cool, let us know how it goes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:28 pm 
LOST Member

I should have all my underbelly skids on by then, but I am not sure without sliders :( I would rather not damage to much and still me able to open my doors when I am finished :lol:

WANTS:
OME Coil Lift, Crager Soft 8's 16x8 4"bs, Custom Roof Rack, Steel Bumpers, Cobra 75X CB w/ Firefly, Lots O Lights, Lockers, Four X Diff Cover, One Bad Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The one obstacle near the south exit requires rock rails as I remember. There may be a bypass though; when we went, a broken axle blocked the obstacle.

Will watch for dates. My calendar is pretty booked in to October.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Hope you can make it Ben. 06 KJ Sport, you too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:52 pm 
LOST Member

Marty called -- got rock sliders on order-- should be here in a month or less :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Neal wrote:
Marty called -- got rock sliders on order-- should be here in a month or less :D

Now you're set. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 am 
LOST Member

How much for the sliders?? What brand did you go with??

WANTS:
OME Coil Lift, Crager Soft 8's 16x8 4"bs, Custom Roof Rack, Steel Bumpers, Cobra 75X CB w/ Firefly, Lots O Lights, Lockers, Four X Diff Cover, One Bad Jeep