It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did Slickrock (Wrong Day)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

Hi Guys,

I'm such a boob. I don't know how I did it, but somehow I got it into my head that slickrock trail was on Sunday. So Incubusmike is going to get a confusing voice mail on his cellphone. :)

I got to Lake Alpines general store at 10:07 and didn't see any KJs, so I thought I had just missed you guys and with no cellphone service I figured you guys had gone on. I jammed down the first section of the trail trying to catch up until I ran across some guys on quads who said they hadn't seen anyone come down the trail yet. Then, yes I know I'm a dummy, I thought maybe I was early so I hung out beside silver creek for 45mins to see if anyone came by. I didn't realize my mistake until I had made it back home.

I'm really sorry if I held you guys up on SAT waiting for me to show. I wasn't intentionally being a inconsiderate jerk, just a guy who fails at reading comprehension. :(

I was really bummed when I realized I had missed you guys since I was looking forward to wheeling with you. :cry: But I went ahead and did the trail alone and had a really good time. It's beautiful up there. The grocery getter did me proud! I was able to finish the whole trail with open diffs without needing to strap (but man, the mopar rock rails did not fair well).

When I reached the last obstacle I was pretty sure I was hosed. I really didn't think I could make that without lockers or someone to strap if I got in trouble. There was a group of 5 people having some brewskis waiting to watch 4x4s try the obstacle who convinced me I could do it, though I thought it might have been the beer talking.

While half way through my first attempt, a built TJ, JK, and CJ came along and were held up behind me, so I kinda started stressin that I would hold them up and offered to move. Let me just say, these were the coolest bunch of dudes ever. They said hell no, we're here for the show. Everyone helped with spotting and stacking rocks, and helped get me off the rocks once when I got high centered. I made it up the first half, but then took the left turn option after maybe 10 tries.

Later I hung out with them and watched them all go up, the JK took the left turn option as well and popped his right front flender in the process. Looked cool though. Had his driver front wheel chest high in the air. The CJ and TJ made it straight up after a few tries on the upper half of the obstacle.

It was a great day but again sorry I missed you guys and hope I didn't hold you up. Look forward to hearing how your trip went.

Paul :wink:

JBA's A-arms
Alldrivelines front drive shaft
31x10.50x15 Mud Terrain Radial SXT
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2295588

It's a jeep thing, my levels of perception are sufficient to ascertain your implication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:33 pm 
LOST Member

We did Slick Rock on Sat. but on the last obstacle, after some other guy found a bypass, I got seperated from the group. The bypass was supposed to be real quick, and would have been except for two places where you had to go between trees and they were as close together as the guys pickup. I went thru easy, but he was first so it took too long and I didn't know where anyone was camped. So never saw our group again :(
Sorry you got the day mixed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:15 am 
LOST Member

Yeah sorry I missed you guys Neal. Sorry you got separated too. I think maybe a CB is in order (in the event that I show up on the right day) to help with the comm. Cell phones sure don't cut it in the places we wheel.

Was the bypass the right turn before the last obstacle? I took that right and it went between some narrow trees. The trail took me down to the water, where I just turned around and came back. Just wondering if those were the same trees.

JBA's A-arms

It's a jeep thing, my levels of perception are sufficient to ascertain your implication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:36 am 
LOST Member

Hi Paul, the bypass turn was to the right just b4 the last obstacle. Mike and I checked that and went down to the water and that runs into large rock that were purposely put here to block the path. But the other guy found the bypass which is down the same path b4 the water. There is a natural rocky spot to the left and that is the bypass. It drops down about 3 feet and then up and thru the tight trees back to the trail after the last obstacle. The plan was to beat the group, but that was not the case. Oh well- Agree it would be good to have some communication. Or at least have had a meeting spot for later. It was a good run even tho I chickened out on the last obstacle. Probably would have tried it if I had enough beer :lol:
Glad you made it ok- next time we should all go the same day :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 pm 
LOST Member

Glad to see you guys made it out ok neal. we were all concerned and did not want to leave without knowing. Will post pics later of saturdays run.

06 TJ rubi,SBC,WARN winch,sliders,skids,corners,Teleflex bellyup,Viair,AEM intake,BANKS header & exhaust,5.5"Rubicon Express short arm,5:38's,35x12.5x15's,Sony explode/infinity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:35 pm 
LOST Member

I was hoping to meet up with you guys also, but after the Strawberry Pass trail, the Red Lake/Blue Lake Pass trail, then the Deer Valley - with Labor day traffic - it was 3:30 before we made it to Hwy 8. By then even I wasn't wanting to do another trail. So we headed down to the 395. Though we did a side drive up the the secluded High Lakes near Ebbetts Pass. Very nice.

I'll post some pictures of the trails. Especially the Deer Valley.
They might be on the SoCalLOST page.

Did anyone make it up the stair steps - last obsticle??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:32 pm 
LOST Member

I made it up the first half then went left up a granite slab. Didn't think I could make it up the second half. Actaully I can't imagine an IFS liberty on 31s making it up the whole thing without having to winch/strap. :shock:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hatin' and I'd love to be proven wrong.

My hat's off to you if you can!

JBA's A-arms

Last edited by gastip on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Sorry we missed you gastip. I ended up making it up the same way you did, up the left side of the stair steps. You should have given it a try Neal, it was awesome to make it up such a gnarly obstacle in the KJ. We waited at the top for a good 15 minutes for you and the other guy that took the bypass.

That trail was awesome though. I am looking for my USB cord to download my pics, so hopefully by tonight there will be some in a new thread here and in the pics of your rig section and /or past trail rides section.

Also going to post more pics of my front bumper.

MKJeepers, how was Strawberry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:14 pm 
LOST Member

Strawberry was awesome, enjoyed it alot. But compared to the Deer Valley it was a walk in the park.
Deer Valley was one of the most cool trails I have done - I've put in my top 10 list of trails.

The trail is very, very simular to the Rubicon, only shorter (6.5 mi.). Difficulty is not quite as extreme, but very challenging.
The trail is continious obstacles the full 6.5 miles.

I'm not sure I would take an IFS Lib. It's pretty rough. You'll do alot of dragging. Though you can do the first half, from Blue Lake, to Deer Valley
and camp by the river.
Then decide if you want to go further. The second half to Hwy 4 is quite a bit harder. Although there isn't any impossible sections,
just alot of hard, rough 4 wheelin. One fellow said this year is the hardest he's ever seen the trail. I liked it!!
I'll post some pictures of the trail later.

Another cool trail is from Hwy 88 to Blue Lake. You go from Red Lake on county Rd. 13 over to upper Blue Lake.
It' a 2wd road but takes you up into the alpine area (9000 ft) then down to the Blue Lakes, and Deer Valley trailhead, really cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:23 pm 
LOST Addict

I keep hearing Deer Valley is a rough one. Slick Rock was probably rough enough, even though the only really challenging obstacle was the staircase at the end. I did use my skids quite a bit on Slick Rock too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 pm 
LOST Member

I think the Deer Valley was much more challenging than the Slickrock. Though it was 2 years ago I ran the Slickrock.
But do the first half of DV combined with the Strawberry.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll probably wait until I have at least a rear locker, probably front and rear, to do Deer Valley.