It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheeler Ridge run
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

Its been a while since I was last on this site due to difficulties with my daughter and other personal emergencies. But I'm BAAacck!

Since there has not been that much activity since I got busy, I wanted to
show a challenging and fun trip that I did not too long ago. Hopefully to build interest in other runs. Unfortuantely we are in the rainy season - sort of.

Late August a frined and I went South to several places including Wheeler Ridge which is part way in via Sand Canyon, which is also near Laurel Lakes. Check your favorite 4 wheel drive book. We had a great time!

Wheeler Ridge is rated as a difficult. My KJ with the lift kit, ALL-J skid plate and the MTRs did very well. There was one spot that really needed either the limited slip diff or a rear locker. You had to end up waving at least one wheel. It was FUN! It was the most challenging route that I have done.

I was in the bottom of a small wash climbing over some boulders and my spotter was cleverly directing me right into a rather large rock that was laughing at my little Jeep, when a group of 3 Wranglers came up. One of the guys started freeing up his winch cable but the other guy pointed and said "If that was a real Jeep, I would just take this line and simply drive right on out."

I politely thanked him and proceeded to do just that. The three Wrangler owners stood there with there mouths open. It was great!

Then I hear that one of the Wrangler guys had broken a rim in this obstacle previously and they all slipped and struggled in this area. Then they saw my MTRs and they were jealous because i had better rubber than they had. I was proud of my KJ.

It is a long drive for just that short of a run but if you add to it doing some of the other runs in the area - Laurel lakes, Sand Canyon, Armstrong canyon etc.Makes the trip very worthwhile.

If you get a chance to go further South to Cerro Gordo / Swansea grade, that is a real nice challenge. I strongly recommend that you have a second Jeep on this route because of its length and difficulty.

If you are interested in pictures please see the followong website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mikekdavis/M ... _page.html
And go to "Four wheelin' around the southern Sierra".

Sunroof, Leather Seats, Mopar subwoofer, TrakLock in rear, Mopar skid plates, All J Super skid plate II, All J Boulder Bars, Daystar 2.5" Lift kit, Cobra CB, Inclinometer, 6 CD Changer in rear, K&N drop in filter. MTR 245/75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Man, I'm always ready to go wheelin'. Let's find some winter runs to do. No snow for me--six years in Colorado cured me of that--but maybe there's some muddy tracks we can find.

Ken? Jon? Brian? Nanette? How 'bout it?

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Matt,

Is it more difficult with your K&N filter setup to protect the engine from getting water in the intake?

How many water hazards have you been in with that water filter - I mean air filter? :lol:

Got any ideas on a specific trail?

Thanks,
MikeS.

Sunroof, Leather Seats, Mopar subwoofer, TrakLock in rear, Mopar skid plates, All J Super skid plate II, All J Boulder Bars, Daystar 2.5" Lift kit, Cobra CB, Inclinometer, 6 CD Changer in rear, K&N drop in filter. MTR 245/75

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:36 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Mike, it went through a heck of a mud bath at min camp jeep up in Pleasonton. Don't know about the water issue but do know it give me an extra 1.5 mpg. And its CARB legal.

Its up nice and high so I'm not too worried about it.

Jon had mentioned Frank Raines OHV over by Patterson but I know nothing about the place.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:04 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm interested! Pick a day and I'll see if I can go. (Saturdays and Sundays are best for me right now)

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A run anytime is good for me for the next month provided I can get the days off of work. Maybe somewhere that a lot of us have not been to. I have done some trails in Bakersfield but nothing special. Too long of a drive though...let me know and I should be in!

'05 Yellow TJ Rubicon 6spd

Click here for my Jeep Mods

Redneck Yacht Club for life!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

I saw a March 1999 trail report from the internet where they talk about the slickness of the ground for when it rains.

We will have to keep that in mind. I still have not had the time to get the ARB locker put in my KJ in the read. Hopefully soon - before MOAB, if I can figure out the school situation for my kid.

It sounds like fun to go there though. I assume we are talking about sometime in January of 2006.

http://home.4x4wire.com/swilson/trailre ... rankraines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:55 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Mike, you can get by fine with an LSD at Moab. Maybe just a coupleo f spots where not having a locker you might need a strap but I doubt it with your skills. Just have full armor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

lilmatty wrote:
Man, I'm always ready to go wheelin'. Let's find some winter runs to do. No snow for me--six years in Colorado cured me of that--but maybe there's some muddy tracks we can find.

Ken? Jon? Brian? Nanette? How 'bout it?

One year in colorado cured me... snow ain't all that great :wink:

Other stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:11 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Hi Jackie. When we all going wheelin'?