It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clear Creek OHV
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone been to this area ?, we are considering going there this weekend in pursuit of another hobby (geocaching), wondering if anyone has been there before and also if anyone would like to join us ?, not looking for really hardcore offroad terrain just yet as I don't have much in the way of skidplates. Points of interest to us are San Benito Peak and the Ghost Town of New Idria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:39 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I went there once in early '04 after a ton of rain, so all I remember is a lot of sliding around down hills on stock tires in super sticky mud with asbestos in the soil. Aside from that it was pretty cool and there was a neat open play area where you could go where ever you wanted. Nothing really to hit your skidplates on (unless I was looking in the wrong place) :D I'll be working this weekend :cry: I think it'd be a really neat place to see dry(ish). Have fun and good luck caching!

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:30 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

The area is loaded with lawsuits to keep us wheelers out of there so call first to find out its status. Also they do closures when it's dry so again you need to call. The dry closure is because of the asbestos issue.

My son and I went to the Molino Ghost Run last March and were rained out. Join Cal 4 Wheel, though, and your funds go to help fight the closure lawsuits.

mt

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info, will let you know how it goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fish around the Hollister BLM webpage(s) for Clear Creek, and eventually you'll find some EIR maps. San Benito summit may be a study area, but the NW to SE summit road may be a corridor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well we went down to Clear Creek on saturday and had a great time, the scenery was great and it wasn't crowded at all, we saw 2 other trucks and a couple of dirtbikes and that was it. We went in on Clear Creek road, up to San Benito peak via a detour road, then down to the old mining town of New Idria, awesome views from the peak and lots of exploring and pic opportunities in the old mining town, not much in the way of hardcore off-roading, but I'd recommend it highly if you just want to see some remote country with alot of history behind it.