It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not too confident with a wrench
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

After a bad hit and run last year we decided to get an '02 Liberty Sport instead of replacing my wife's Civic. We camp frequently up in the Bear River Resevoir area and our friends do a lot of wheeling in their Toyota trucks (we're passengers). No rock crawling, just a lot of really fun 4wd trails and some nice views.

Anyway, it was finally time to replace the tires last month so we upgraded the 215s to 235 ATs. Since this is her daily driver she's been hesitant to agree to anything off road, but now that the new tires are on and it's camping time I think she's coming around. BTW- just changing the tires makes a huge difference IMO.

As money becomes available I'd like to make some improvements like rock rails, tow hooks, a tow hitch and perhaps a lift kit. After reading the safety requirements for NorCal LOST runs, I'll need the hooks and hitch so I can begin convincing her to go on a run.

My problem is mechanical expertise. I can take apart a computer but not a suspension! I've read up on the rails, and I think I could install those but I'm pretty sure the rest of the stuff is going to be beyond me. I'm no defeatist, just practical. I figured this would be the best place to ask for information on reliable shops in the Sacramento area that I can trust to do some work on the KJ when I need it.

Thanks for any advice and I look forward to seeing you on the trails as soon as possible.

Stock but for the tires
Front skid plate

Last edited by ajensen on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:09 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

Hi Andy and welcome.

Your heart's in the right place. Before spending money on a shop consult with us since most of us have done some of the mods you are talking about. Nothing like a mod party to while away the day.

I'm sure the Sacto guys will pipe up with shop recommendations.

Be sure to visit our wimpy web site when you get a chance. The webmaster has been falling down on the job.

Keep an eye out for our runs. Note the next one is this Sunday. I'll elt Shawn chime in with whether we can bring along a KJ without strapping points. But that trail would be a great way to get up your confidence. BTW, all our vehicles are DDs.

Do you have any factory skid plates on?

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

It's not sitting in the driveway right now but the build sheet from DC says XEUS-Front Suspension Skid Plate.

Stock but for the tires
Front skid plate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:31 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

It might well have the full set then. Front, transfer case, gas tank.

02 Red Libby w/Frankenlift, Full armor incl AllJ stuff, 245 MTRs on Cragars, ARB locker, custom rack, K&N FIPK, 8000lb winch, RE rear LCAs, Optima Yellow Top, RL Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper
98 TJ w/5.5" RE Long arm lift, ARB front/rear, 35x12.5, Borla, Warn winch, Teralow, etc., etc..

Last edited by lilmatty on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:52 pm 
LOST Member

matt is right,most mods are not really difficult.allow 1 day to install a 2.5" lift.i helped jeeplife last year it took us two hours,since i learned the easy way to the front end.the rear is way easy.let me know here and i can help you out.later ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:56 pm 
Mr. Machine
Mr. Machine

I have the pucks for a Daystar 2.5" lift. Free to a NorCal or West LOST member. Still would need top plates and recommended shocks. The install is easy exspecially as compared to Frankenlift. (But Frankenlift is a far superior lift.)

mt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greets Andy!

I have done 2 wrangler Rubicon Express lifts and with the help of ken a liberty Rocky Road Outfitters OTT lift. About a month ago I also did a removal of said OTT lift . :roll:

I'm in Sacramento as well, but can't recommend any shops, but if you need an extra hand on any project let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Welcome Andy!
As well as the other folks that have responded, I too am always willing to lend a hand.
I have used a local shop for my last two major wrenching jobs for times sake. They came highly recommended and I pass that recommendation on! It is a pretty small shop that is run by Jeff (the owner) and his wife.
Hangtown Extreme 4x4
6180 Enterprise Dr. Suite A
Diamond Springs, CA 95619

As far as the recovery points go...It is a NorCal LOST safety requirement that all vehicles have front and rear recovery points. Since it all revolves around safety, there can be no leeway with these requirements.

So Andy, go buy your hooks and join us on this run!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:22 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hey Andy,

I've got some front tow hooks if you're interested. We should talk. :D PM me if you'd like.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:22 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Offer going....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:13 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Going...