It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to texas
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm 
LOST Member

hello everyone i just wanted to introduce myself. my name is louis im 23 and i drive a 05 kj. i love it... everywhere i have wanted to go she hasnt let me down. i am a scout sniper in the army and stationed at ft. hood. if anyone in the area knows some good trails let me know. so far hood hasnt let me down... there are trails all over the place. anyway like i said i just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. i like what i have seen so far keep up the good work. oh if anyone has plans for a meet let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy Louis
Welcome to Texas.
I'm not a good reference for trails - I tend to drive up to Colorado to drive through the mountains - but there are people here that find closer playgrounds. The problem we've run into on meetings is that no matter where you have it - 1/2 the people are least 3-4 hours away. We did manage to get a group together a while back in Waco (okay a year ago - that's bad). If the trails you found at Hood are open to the public - you might get a group together there.
Where are you from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:10 am 
LOST Member

well im not sure if the trails are open for the public... um i might not even be allowed on them but untill i hear other wise i will still go out there. as a matter of fact i went out today. no mud, but its raining pretty hard right now so it will be fun tomorrow. thats funny that you go up to colorado, thats where im from... but now im stuck here. where do you go in colorado? have you heard of the silverton trail? well im going back to colorado in august before i head off to iraq. um... may be we could get a meet together in colorado. i meen its only march so it would give us plenty of time to plan some thing out. just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ouray, Telluride, Silverton - Alpine loop - I want to run Blackbear - but I'd like to be with someone who's run it before -
(I think it's more of a mindgame than technically difficult - but it has serious consequences)
I'd like to do an August trip -but I'm having lot's of scheduling issues at work - (long story) so I'm not certain - although if we started planning - we might get some folks - the hard part is getting out of Texas - that's a full day drive.

One of the issues in Texas is that most of the property is private - you have to have the owners permission to drive - in Colorado there were Federal lands and trails all through the mountains that were open. Here there are a couple of areas - but around Houston or West Texas. Most of the 4x4's here are used for hunting on leased land.

Be careful on your trails in Ft Hood - several of those exist for the Tank drivers to practice on, an M1 can hit 60mph on dirt and the visibility isn't all that great, and even though the Liberty is stout in auto collisions, it's not in the right league for an M1. You can probably find an informal network on Hood that keep you up to date on any issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome Scout. I'm about 1 hr from you in West, about 20 miles north of Waco. I've done alot of work in your area. Glad to have you.

L.O.S.T. #DA050656
Republica de Tejas