It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Bend
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

My wife and I are headed to Big Bend Natl. Park for the week of Christmas / New Years. It will be our first time there so we're looking forward to it.

I am a relative newcomer with respect to offroading. I have a stock '06 Liberty. I've taken it out several times at Joshua Tree, Hungry Valley, and a couple other areas here in Southern Calif. I've done some Google searching on Big Bend and I see that some of the roads (Black Gap, etc.) can be rough on stock vehicles.

So I thought I would ask forum members a couple questions: First, anyone have any experience in Big Bend? Any advice? Should a stock Liberty be able to handle Black Gap? Any other roads to watch out for? Second, per chance, will anyone be in Big Bend that week? It might be fun to get together one day and do some of the more difficult roads as a group.

Regards,

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Be sure to take extra gas if your going to do a lot of trail riding. It's a very big park and there is no gas in it. If I remember right. Be sure to take a camera. I drove my 02 all over it and it was stock. BEAUTIFUL country. Some of the trails were made for wagons so it's up and down and through washes. Lots of fun!

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:59 am 
LOST Member

I have taken my KJ to Big Bend twice, one when it was stock and once after the lift and tires. I have wheeled the whole park.

Yes, there is gas in the park. There is a little general store with food, showers, fuel and other things. It is located towards the river side.

When it was stock, I hit my front skid plate on everything imaginable but other than being annoying, there was not problems. Considering that there is about as much ground clearance as a Civic, then it is to be expected. Yes, you can get though Black Gap with a stock KJ.

After the lift kit and tires, nothing in the park is even a challenge.

There are no 'difficult' roads there, just a lot of back roads where you might need a 4wd in a few spots and high clearance that the KJ dosen't have so just mind the rocks and you will have no problems at all.

Black Gap is the most challenging but dosen't compair to some of the stuff in Colorado.

Email me for a few pics if you want.
mrclortho@yahoo.com

L.O.S.T. #006901
Rusty's 2.5" Coil Lift & Diff Skid, 245/75-16 REVO's, K&N
****Grocery Rated****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Forgot about that store. Beautiful country.

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be deer huntin. Y'all have fun!

L.O.S.T. #DA050656
Republica de Tejas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Guys,

Thank you for all of the info... really appreciate. Definitely looking forward to the trip.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

We just went to Big Bend for Thanksgiving. We've been there several times, but usually in Spring. This was our first winter foray. The park and surrounding area is beautiful any time of year! As for the roads (Black Gap, Old ore and River) they are considerably worse in the winter. My guess is that they don't or can't maintain them as well after the rainy season. While we have a lift and good tires, we noticed the difference in the roads this trip. I will tell you that after our first trip to Big Bend with the stock kj, we modified it as we really didn't enjoy getting 3 flat tires on that trip. It's the desert. It's rocky...real rocky. Also, be ready for some weather. We were very excited when we were heading out because we heard there may be snow. well, there was wind and rain and yes, snow (they closed the road to the Basin-couldn't get in or out). We drove out the Sunday after Thanksgiving in 4 inches of the white stuff. There's nothing like snow in the desert! Definately bring your camera. I don't know if you're lodging or camping, but bring warm wind-proof clothes. The wind can kick up pretty good down near the Rio Grande and the weather can change quickly. Keep your vehicle well provisioned for this climate and terrain. Things to see-Earnst Tinaja (on Old Ore Road), Pine Canyon (If you're into hiking), Glen Springs, the Hot Springs, Mariscal Mine, Santa Elena Canyon, Sunset on the Sierra del Carmens, I could go on and on. If you need to stay outside the park, Terlingua and Study Butte are closer than Marathon. Want to eat out? Starlight Theatre in Terlingua is a trip and good food, too! There's also the Chisos Lodge in the park, but I've honestly never eaten there. pm me if you want a phone number.
Kate and Greg