It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: possible move to San Antonio area
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

The family may be moving to San Antonio sometime in the upcoming year. Any suggestions for neighborhoods near the Lackland area??

How is offroading in that area? Lots of places nearby? Any free places like state parks??

245 70 16 Firestone Destination ATs
http://www.clownthings.com/jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome to Texas (if it works out)

In San Antonio -you should have at least Darby, thebigtman, spyburn - and a few more folks up in the Austin area (about an hour drive)

unfortunately - not a lot of free wheeling - most land is private property - but several clubs work out deals for runs
(Austin has a couple of Jeep clubs -I'm assuming S.A. does too)

I don't know about Lackland - the time I was there I was on base and they didn't let us off very much at all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Welcome!

As ATXKJ said, there are a few of us down here.

If you're looking for a place, I have a friend who is a retired USAF officer and realtor. He's also a native to San Antonio and knows his way around the town pretty well. There are some good/bad areas over there. There's been a lot of growth near Lackland but some of the old neighborhoods are just not the best places to buy a house and have it appreciate.

There's not much wheeling at all. Most people go to Katemcy. There were a few "illegal" wheeling spots in SA but most are completely gone due to the expansion of new developments.

There are a few Jeep clubs here but I haven't gotten involved with them (yet).

Welcome to SA and if there's anything you need, just shoot me a PM. I came to SA completely blind and didn't know a thing about this place. I got out of the Army a few years ago and ended up staying. It's a good place but watch out or your waist will gradually expand from all of the good cheap food here.

Take care,

2005 CRD (RIP 2/5/10)

2008 Grand Cherokee Limited WK, CRD, 4x4, lift, 32's.
2008 HEMI Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK, lots of extras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

thebigtman wrote:
Welcome!

As ATXKJ said, there are a few of us down here.

If you're looking for a place, I have a friend who is a retired USAF officer and realtor. He's also a native to San Antonio and knows his way around the town pretty well. There are some good/bad areas over there. There's been a lot of growth near Lackland but some of the old neighborhoods are just not the best places to buy a house and have it appreciate.

There's not much wheeling at all. Most people go to Katemcy. There were a few "illegal" wheeling spots in SA but most are completely gone due to the expansion of new developments.

There are a few Jeep clubs here but I haven't gotten involved with them (yet).

Welcome to SA and if there's anything you need, just shoot me a PM. I came to SA completely blind and didn't know a thing about this place. I got out of the Army a few years ago and ended up staying. It's a good place but watch out or your waist will gradually expand from all of the good cheap food here.

Take care,

thanks for the info. the wife and family are there this weekend house hunting. they seem to like an area called alamo ranch in north west.

245 70 16 Firestone Destination ATs
http://www.clownthings.com/jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:57 am 
LOST Member

traffic is tough from around 4pm till 630ish. but tons to do in S.A. no idea on any 4x4 places but you can go to any off road shop and ask around also. two shops on the north west side by bandera and 410 that have tons of pics out in the mud of their trucks so they should be able to tell you some spots for sure.

Post subject: Re: possible move to San Antonio area
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 am 
LOST Newbie

The best places near lackland i can recommend are some of the new neigborhoods just west of lackland off of Hwy 90. As a far as places to off road in san antonio, there really isn't too much inside the city limits. But i guess i'm just old fashioned and any road off of the main road i just take it and see where it goes and pray i don't get myself in a bind!