It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6/27 - 6/28 trip to Padre Island National Seashore
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Camping trip to Padre Island National Seashore, one night. We'll probably camp somewhere on the beach, or in Bird Island Basin, not really sure. The purpose of this trip is to scout the location for subsequent kayak / camping trip in August.

We'd love to have your company :-)

Question: how come people recommend planks and shovels for driving on the beach here? Is it really that different from other beaches or sand dunes? I never needed planks before, am I just not wheeling it hard enough? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 pm 
LOST Member

if you need planks and shovels here then you don't know how to drive. :D

the sand here is very packed. i never had a 4x4 till i was 25 and only got stuck when i screwed around or fell asleep at low tide and woke up at high with the truck sitting in the water.

to get to bird island, you will drive about 1/4 mile from my house. i might be able to talk the wife into going out there to hang out and let the kids play and we can get some liberty pics. when i used to kayak around that side of hte laguna madre i got fairly bored. i used to live right by the wataburger you pass on the island before bob hall and the national seashore so we kayaked alot but i never really got into that stuff to much. i was more interested in surfing though. but, its always fun to hang out with other people and have fun at the beach.

Post subject: I will be there this weekend
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey, I will tarvel to South Parde Island so I would like to how found you

Best Regards,

Alejandro Chapa
achapa@lohmanncorp.com

Renagade 2003 Skyjacker, BFG Mud Terrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

this weekend, you coming? i live here so its easy to find me, just take the exit for the base and turn on the road for the municipal pier. i am the only liberty on the street

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:10 pm 
LOST Addict

We're coming this weekend, rain or shine or hurricanes ...

Can you (superj) PM me your cell phone number so I can call you just in case? I'll be taking one of my kids with me, and another buddy from a kayak club will be going as well. We'll probably stop off in Corpus to pick up some fresh seafood for the evening.

Can't wait ... it's gonna be a great weekend.

chapakj71, the North Padre is separated from South Padre by a channel that was dredged up. It's not possible to cross this channel in a Jeep, unless your Jeep floats really well.

South Padre is more for the college crowd.

North Padre is more for the people that want to get away from other people ... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:05 pm 
LOST Member

i took the kids out yesterday and we all had fun at the beach while bill and his buddy were kayaking around. they are heading home today. no 4x4ing for me since the liberty is front drive shaft free but i got some pics of our jeeps parked by each other at heb while they were in grocery shopping for the night stuff. i will have to load them up though. we had a blast and i had never been to the national seashore, even though its only about 15-20 minutes from my house. the beach is alot cleaner down there then the free public beaches that are right by my house

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 pm 
LOST Member

cell phone pics, sorry

funny, he has the same lift as me but he already did hte part i want to do to mine which is change the front springs for some ome springs to bring the front up more. i am going to swap to ome hd instead of the ror springs. see the difference in height in the fronts of our two jeeps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 am 
LOST Addict

It was nice to meet you, superj :-) The kids sure had fun while they were together. Perhaps next time you could come camp on the beach with us and the kids can build campfire or something ...