It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

pixeldzn wrote:
Man I'm really sad to hear about all the problems on this run. This is why there needs to be a drivers meeting at the beginning of every run, to find out who is a newbie, or needs some advice, and to lay out some dos and donts.

It seems like every run to the badlands lately, organized here, someone is going home with some damage that could have been avoided on a daily driver. It's really sad to see a day of fun turn into thousands of dollars in repairs on a vehicle that probably wasn't taken offroad with the intention of this kind of breakage. Stuff happens, for sure, and sometimes can't be avoided, but a lot definitely can.

Good luck to those of you who have repairs to carry out. Those of you who went home without breakage, take some of the mistakes folks made and try to remeber it. Be sure to pass on the info next time you are out.

Evan summed things up nicely on this but I feel I need to make a few points of my own and place emphasis on some of the things Evan said...

Evan and I have been talking for a few weeks as to the best way to conduct the run, keeping the safety of participants and the reputation of the Midwest Group in mind. I was in contact via pm's with most of those who said they were coming to find out the capabilities and skill level of the driver and his/her vehicle to get a mindset of what trails we would run. Saturday morning we spent a good half hour before we started with everyone in a circle talking about the trails the Badlands had to offer and finalizing what we paths we would take. Everyone knew that trail damage was a possibility (its always a possibility regardless of skill level) and everyone was ready to accept what lurked ahead.

I thought we ran the day very well - We had a long caravan of 9 vehicles with most of the leading being done by Evan and myself and we made sure to have spotters at any and all points that looked precarious. As Evan stated, the group made it over some nice obstacles with no damage - it didn't even appear that any of the vehicles that came had pin striping - we took the trails slow and carefully and made sure that those who were less skilled took easier lines and when an obstacle presented itself (ugly rock/gnarly root/stump/rutt/deep muddy hole) we made sure to stop the caravan, asses the situation, look for potential bypasses and inform all drivers of how to get around the obstacle.

In past trips, both of us being unlifted, both Evan and myself made it up the obstacle in the quarry he shattered the front diff on without issue. In more recent trips, with both of us being lifted, both Evan and myself have made it up that same obstacle. I've watched other KJ's both with and witout lifts do the exact same thing. Evan knew what he was doing and just had a spurt of bad luck that could have happened to anyone.

As I stated earlier, we want to build up the reputation of the Midwest Group and encourage more Midwesterners to come and join us on these outings. We ran the trails with the constant knowledge that these were daily drivers we were playing with and we made every effort to avoid taking paths that looked like problem causers.

I know all too well the feeling of killing the daily driver, having to be towed home, and getting stuck with a whopping repair bill. I know the dangers involved with with taking my only ride into places it wasn't meant to go and I'm prepared to live with the consequences if something should go wrong.

I'm not trying to justify anything with this comment - I just want to make it clear that this event was organized and carried out to the best of our abilities and ALL participants were fully aware that this isn't a perfect sport, things do happen, and damage is something that we all are forced to deal with when we take our Jeeps off pavement.

on a side note...

If you attended and haven't done so already, please make a quick post about how you think the day went - what could have been improved on, what you liked, and general feelings of the day.

Thanks for coming,

- Rob

1986 CJ7
Lots of custom stuff...

Gone, But not Forgotten...
2003 Sport - 'Fire Engine' Red
Detours KJ Backbone
Skids
Boulder Bars
JBA 4.5 A Arms
245/75/16 Wrangler Duratracs's on Cragar Soft 8’s
Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers
Superwinch LP 8500
Frankenlifted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What we can all learn from this is, Stay off the skinny pedal. Both problems were due to the skinny pedal. When we have our adrenaline pumping we don't always remember "slow as possible fast as necessary" With that crappy diff you always need someone close by to remind you to lay off the gas. Do not let those front wheels spin.

The water issue i can't comment on since I wasn't there. But every newbie tries to drive full speed into a puddle like they see on tv. If you don't want your day ruined by break downs, everyone needs to babysit the newbies till they learn the basics.

Water = Bad
Mud = fun
deep mud = bad
Rocks/gravel = really bad for the 30a

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Did any of you with the KJ's try using the brake?

It's helpful without lockers...... I've gotten over a bunch of crap using the brake that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Also that might reduce the 30a from breaking as it would reduce the wheels from spinning and increase traction at the same time.

"To average folk, they're just cars."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:07 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I know I will get slammed for this by one or two people but hindsight is 20-20 and its easy for those that was not there to tell the ones that were what they should of / could of / would of done, the thing is it may of still happened if they were there. There is no way that you can be in 9 different vehicles and tell people how to drive, everyone has to learn how and some listen better than others!
We recently had a MIDWEST RUN in Kentucky where we did water/lots of rocks/mud and no breakage at all and we had newbies on the trip but they listened very well and used common sense. (OF COURSE WE WERE ALL FROM OHIO :wink: ) Things are going to break if you wheel at all. The ones that were there tried their best to make sure everyone did what they were supposed to do and have a fun run. Too bad that there was breakage but stuff happens when you get too much excitement going on! :wink: Sorry for what happened but those on the run can hopefully learn how easy things do happen. No more preaching, its like telling your pregnant teenage daughter about birth control!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:21 am 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

Blaine B. wrote:
Did any of you with the KJ's try using the brake?

It's helpful without lockers...... I've gotten over a bunch of crap using the brake that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Also that might reduce the 30a from breaking as it would reduce the wheels from spinning and increase traction at the same time.

If you are completely open on both ends, the brake does not help at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:25 am 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

We have learned time & time again that the total lenght of that rock ledge is a killer - so far, 4KJs and countless other rigs have been victims. As Rob said... it is just bad luck - you hit it wrong and pay for it - you hit it just right and your adrenaline is pumping like crazy and you want more. It is a learning experience.
So, as long as everybody keeps remembering the do's and don'ts, all future runs will become safer and more enjoyable. Understand that breaking on the trails is part of what we call our hobby and we got to be prepared for it and also let all new people understand that from the begining.
I've seen instances that a lot of people decide to back out for one reason or another and the main thing i learned is to let those decisions up to each individual.
One other thing I learned is to also discourage or at least give a history of what happened in the past while somebody wants to try something new.
Obviously is the Case of Evan where he had done it before and it was no problem - same thing happened to me.... I saw bunch of others do the same thing but I broke big time - it is just part of what we do - it is something we never know what the end looks like.

Hopefully Evan and the guy in the Rubi get back on the trails soon....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 am 
LOST Junkie

KJ-BOL wrote:
We have learned time & time again that the total lenght of that rock ledge is a killer - so far, 4KJs and countless other rigs have been victims. As Rob said... it is just bad luck - you hit it wrong and pay for it - you hit it just right and your adrenaline is pumping like crazy and you want more. It is a learning experience.
So, as long as everybody keeps remembering the do's and don'ts, all future runs will become safer and more enjoyable. Understand that breaking on the trails is part of what we call our hobby and we got to be prepared for it and also let all new people understand that from the begining.
I've seen instances that a lot of people decide to back out for one reason or another and the main thing i learned is to let those decisions up to each individual.
One other thing I learned is to also discourage or at least give a history of what happened in the past while somebody wants to try something new.
Obviously is the Case of Evan where he had done it before and it was no problem - same thing happened to me.... I saw bunch of others do the same thing but I broke big time - it is just part of what we do - it is something we never know what the end looks like.

Hopefully Evan and the guy in the Rubi get back on the trails soon....

I agree completely. I knew what I was doing...it was something I had done before and I paid for the decision to try it. Those ledges are hard...real hard. Stuff is guna break. I race mx besides this...I break things. Stuff happens...nothing lasts forever. When you push the limits...things are bound to fail. This is just the sad truth. I'd like to think that I've looked after myself and my vehicle...

Everyone can speculate on what someone could have done differently...but it just comes down to "crap happens". I paid the price...just like Chris's friend. We looked out for everyone there. There's only many so many times you can beat a dead horse on this discussion.

You either wheel or sit out. It's your decision..your rig..the consequence you pay. Everyone helps out one another each and every time...and we keep eachother safe. Pictures just don't do the justice. We won't leave eachother hanging in the end. Ands thats what happened...I was hanging and EVERYONE from the crew wanted to help in one way or another. You guys are all great great guys...there's not one person on these boards that hasn't been unkind in any way. I hope to get back out there and wheel again with you all, and meet some who I haven't met yet.

On that note...I did find a diff. for $400 and looks like I'm going to get it tonite. Hopefully I can have it installed this weekend and be back up and running.

89' 2 Dr. Khaki XJ- Waggy 44's, 4.88s, 35's, 3-link on 5.5" coils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:16 am 
LOST Addict

FastTRX wrote:
On that note...I did find a diff. for $400 and looks like I'm going to get it tonite. Hopefully I can have it installed this weekend and be back up and running.

Sweet! Glad you found something so quick.

And I think you all represent midwest just fine, Im still going to make a run one day....

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:20 am 
LOST Junkie

Jeger wrote:
FastTRX wrote:

Sweet! Glad you found something so quick.

And I think you all represent midwest just fine, Im still going to make a run one day....

I know..I'm excited too. I started getting everything ready last night to start tearing the old one out. This won't hurt the wallet too badly either.

Please do come run with us. We'll look out for you for sure. I know you talked about coming out a while back...I didn't make the run either...but one of these days we'll all get out there together. We all have a great time...this is just a great group of people, each and every one of us. Everyone is friendly and helpful. It's just a great time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
its like telling your pregnant teenage daughter about birth control!! :roll:

I would say it is more like telling your daughters friends keep a close eye on her so some dude doesn't come along and punish her. :D

And when your daughter has a d30a you know someone is gonna nail her sooner or later.

Evan,
Props to you! you have a the right attitude for a wheeler. When I blew my diff everyone ragged on me too. We have this discussion everytime someone blows one.
Welcome to the Blown Diff Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:58 am 
LOST Junkie

Bakerkj wrote:
tommudd wrote:
its like telling your pregnant teenage daughter about birth control!! :roll:

I would say it is more like telling your daughters friends keep a close eye on her so some dude doesn't come along and punish her. :D

And when your daughter has a d30a you know someone is gonna nail her sooner or later.

Evan,
Props to you! you have a the right attitude for a wheeler. When I blew my diff everyone ragged on me too. We have this discussion everytime someone blows one.
Welcome to the Blown Diff Club.

Paul,
I was all pretty much laughing when I got out. I mean there was alot of hard feelings about what my parents would say, and about how much $ it would
require to fix it...but I just knew it was guna go someday. It was funny becuase my parents and me had discussed this at the dinner table about 2 weeks before this happened...and they told me they were guna kill me if something like this had happened. They kept their cool, understood what had happened (unintentional), and were more worried about my safety in getting home. They did however tell me I'm got some savin' to do!! I felt horrible when I got the Jeep home...but I understand that things will happen...especially wheeling a vehicle that wasn't really meant to go as hard as we push em'!

Bakerkj wrote:

I'm sorry mom, I guess I just didn't use good enough protection... :P

I understand why people have given up on the KJ. It's a great little introductory vehicle to offroading..but it can only take so many hard knocks. But god I love the looks we get every time we pull in the park!! 8) A JK is in my future one of these days...but I'm having too much fun in my KJ right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

$400 bucks... Buy two, there cheap :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

bugnout wrote:

That was my exact thought as I was driving to school..... :lol:

With the money saved...I may put the TT in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dang... Bakerkj, FastTRX, KJ-Bol... who else in the Midwest broke the D30A? I didn't know our local stones were that tough...

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

meh_kick,

I really thought one of us was going to last time in KY. Specifically when trying to climb up through the s-turn part on the usual trail (rockcastle rd?). I remember feeling like I was bouncing pretty good there. I didnt like it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:07 pm 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

meh_kick wrote:
Dang... Bakerkj, FastTRX, KJ-Bol... who else in the Midwest broke the D30A? I didn't know our local stones were that tough...

Also, need to add Bogdan to the list and Eric too
so a total of 5 that i know of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wow sorry to hear about the bad luck on the trip guys. I really wanted to make it but i had already had plans for that weekend for a long time to go to the rally race. I cant wait to get back out for another run. I'm missing going wheelin. by the way evan where exactly in the quarry did you pop the diff?

Last edited by AndySRT on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:55 pm 
FastTRX wrote:
bugnout wrote:

That was my exact thought as I was driving to school..... :lol:

With the money saved...I may put the TT in it.

Where'd you find one for $400? I may have to pick one up for a spare.

Keep in the back on wheelin trips, along with the tools to replace it :lol:

I'm definitely gonna have to make it to one of these big runs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:18 pm 

come with us to Kentucky next trip Tbirdjunkie!

tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jerbacher wrote:
meh_kick,

I really thought one of us was going to last time in KY. Specifically when trying to climb up through the s-turn part on the usual trail (rockcastle rd?). I remember feeling like I was bouncing pretty good there. I didnt like it...

I was thinking the exact same. Heck, even with the powertrax I had to back up and try that one again.

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)