It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Geocaching while wheeling the Libby?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:59 am 
LOST Member

Anyone doing this? I have some friends that are doing geocaching and I'm thinking it looks like it could be fun to mix with some wheeling and camping adventures.

:JEEPIN: :CAMPING:

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Last edited by jmichaelsjeep on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Geocaching while wheeling the Libby?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Check in with 501 , he does a lot of it all over the place. he knows the ins/outs/ good/bad everything ! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 pm 
LOST Member

Did a little light wheeling and caching in the U.P. over 4th of July weekend last year. Will probably hit more trails around Michigamme again this year. Good times!

Oh, on geocaching.com, I go by "Patriot Blue".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I've been on a few trips put here where we were caching at the same time.... It's fun !

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The last 2 years, up in Michigan, there has been a Road rally/ Geocaching event around the Houghton Lake area that I hope to hit this year (if they have it again). It sounds like a lot of fun.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:52 pm 
LOST Member

501 is there a link to a website that talks about the Road Rally event? I was thinking I could just use the app for my blackberry as opposed to buying a gps specially for this type of thing (although if I "need" a gps for this in addition to being helpful for my Boundary Waters trips maybe I could sell the idea to my wife with more success!). Any recommendations or experiences in various forms of caching like Blackberry vs various GPS devices?

GeoJeeper, Diggerfreak,do you guys know if there are a lot of caches that are accessible off the trails you ride? Or is it more of a ride into a state park/ forest and then do your hiking to a cache off the trails? I like hiking and do it frequently, so it is not a being lazy thing and wanting to wheel to the cache thing, just curious as to what is "typical". And GeoJeeper I go by JackPine78 on geocaching.com

Tommudd, Thanks!

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 pm 
Master of the Blender

Not sure about the other areas but around here (Phoenix metro area) There are a number of caches that have been placed by folks while out 4-wheeling so it is the optimal mode to get to them 8) For instance between the three most popular wheeling areas I can find around 100 caches that would be best accessed by 4WD or ATV (I suppose you could horseback or hike in too if you really wanted to). A really good tool is the free Google Earth program, download it and there is a file you can download on the geocaching site that will display cache coordinates in GE - great for planning a caching day on the trail!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmichaelsjeep wrote:
501 is there a link to a website that talks about the Road Rally event? I was thinking I could just use the app for my blackberry as opposed to buying a gps specially for this type of thing (although if I "need" a gps for this in addition to being helpful for my Boundary Waters trips maybe I could sell the idea to my wife with more success!). Any recommendations or experiences in various forms of caching like Blackberry vs various GPS devices?

Here is the GC number for the event I was talking about:

GC1MBJH This was last years event. From what I here it was a blast and there is rumor that they will be having another one this year.

I go by 501_Gang on GC.com

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:41 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks 501 got your message from geocaching.

It looks like a really cool event. I got my Nuvi 200 all set up now and all the different software installed on my computer, so now all I have to do is start finding caches!

And in case anyone is wondering, if you have Verizon, you can't use all the fun geocaching programs that actually work with your blackberry and the geocaching website. That one sucked to find out. I have a blackberry app world program that I can use to input locations into, but I can't easily transfer the locations from Geocaching.com to my blackberry because of verizon. Oh, well, my nuvi 200 I guess will work fine to start.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I use a Garmin Etrex yellow, the most basic GPS garmin sells, usually under $100.00 and have found over 2400, So you don't have to spend a lot of money to have fun. You might find it easier to use one of these over the Nuvi.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 am 
LOST Member

We already had the Nuvi, so my wife didn't get lost with all the traveling she does for her job, so it was no additional cost. A buddy of mine has the Garmin Etrex that you mention and I'm helping him get it figured out for a trip we're taking late in May. The handheld is much nicer to use for the trail (hiking), but the Nuvi is okay too. Once I get close I can use my BB too since I also already have that, only problem is if I lose satelite, I lose the ability to do GPS mapping with the BB. If I decide I like the Etrex I might get one as they are pretty inexpensive, but the only disadvantage I see so far, is you can't download new maps or do any uploading/ downloading of wayfind, POI, etc. I would also use a handheld in lieu of my paper maps when I go on my hiking/ paddling adventures in the Boundary Waters, so being able to add appropriate maps would be nice, especially since we are WAY off the beaten path at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:06 pm 
LOST Addict

My wife and I started geocaching a couple months ago and now have over 70. What a Blast. For anyone on Geocaching.com look us up our name is bas9909. We are currently using the magellan explorist GS which is awesome for paperless caching.

4" Stump Lift.
JBA UCA's
245/75/16 GOODYEAR DURA TRACS

Thanks for throwing me under the bus Evil... Just remember this when you decide to turn yours back in to a... Real Jeep.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
LOST Member

I have done a bunch of local ones within 10 miles, but have not been in a while. My son loves it. We use an old Garmin Etrex Venture. Simple and basic, but it works.

Westin Bull Bar
AntennaX 13" Shorty Antenna
Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for all the tips and congrats on everyone getting out and caching!

As soon as I got all the software uploaded/ downloaded etc., my gps got mauled by my console (thanks to someone in my family being a shove method person).

So I haven't done any yet. But I'm bound and determined to get going doing some caching by early next year....

Everyone I know that does it just has so much fun! Plus my now two year old I'm sure will like it, he loves gadgets and being outside with Dad!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just joined Geocaching today but I'll have to wait to either upgrade my iphone IOS or get a proper gps.
Costco.ca seems to have a good deal on the Garmin 62sc right now. I'm tempted but not sure if I should get the 62sc or a basic but newer one...

edit: I just realized this is a 4 years old thread. anyone still doing it?

cheers!

LT headers / Bora 3" Exhaust / K&N / Ported TB / HID Projectors and more....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 pm 

I'd say most are even after 5 years. I know 501 is for sure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 pm 
LOST Member

I do a form of it. Most of it is game based more so than anything.