It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bundy Hill ORP, Jerome MI, Run Satrurday
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Going to Bundy Hill ORP tomorrow 4/17. Never been, but somebody has to go check it out. Right? Going with or without you, but would highly enjoy the company of others. :D Justin is going to ride shotgun. Thinking I'll leave Toledo around 9ish, should put me there around 10 or 10:15, maybe explore till 3 or so and head home. Anybody wanna join me and be the first from LOST?

http://www.bundyhilloffroad.com/

Last edited by KJWildman on Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bundy Hill ORP, Jerome, MI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have a great time Larry :JEEPIN: Make sure you let us know how it is.

Post subject: Re: Bundy Hill ORP, Jerome MI, Run Satrurday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:33 am 
LOST Member

darn I have to work!!! I'd love to go to Bundy Hill. Maybe with some advanced notice?

Be sure to take some good pics!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, made a run up there today. Seems like a good place, friendly people. The guy in the parking lot at the gate was taking pics of my KJ when I came out of the office. :goink: He said he'd never seen a lifted KJ yet and that his brother had one and couldn't find anybody that made lift kits for them! :roll: I steered him towards LOST and told him about JBA,OME,Rancho,Bilstein,ARB and told him to have his brother try to read some of the forums and he would find about everything he needs!!! :BANANA:

Any way, on to the review. This is a relatively new park back in a sand & gravel quarry, with some woods back towards the back. It is located to the West of the Irish Hills so it has some rolling hills. They have some of their trails marked, but could use better signage. Even at the street, I drove right by and had to turn around. They have like a 3' x 5' sign 10' off the road. The surfaces vary from packed dirt to VERY loose sand. They have a rock garden in the back part where they brought in large boulders. The one I saw was for tires 40" and larger only! :shock: There is some water & mud to play in and some medium trails that go up out of, around and through some of the pits. Climbing out of one of the sand pits I got on 1 trail that got pretty bad. about 200yds of weaving in and out of trees, 6" from each door, with hard turns to avoid the next tree! Then a gully that had my suspension flexed as far as it would go :roll: opposite corners both off the ground, but it's too narrow to back out now! WooHoo, we're havin' fun now! :lol: I had to use momentum to get through that one. Got to the other end, turned around and did it backwards! Finished and Justin saw the sign torn down and laying on the ground. It was BLUE!!!!
Spent just a couple hours up there but, it's only about 1-1/4 hrs northwest of Toledo. :BANANA: I'll go back! Filled up the gas tank, drove up there, wheeled a couple hours and drove home. Still got 1/2 a tank of gas!!!! :BANANA:

Their trails are :

Level 1: GREEN Diamond, (which I'm assuming are most of the access roads and adjoining "play" areas just adjoining them) loose rock, dirt, and sand with some slick rock surfaces. Erosion, washes, gulches and rock steps no higher than 12" may be present. 4WD is recommended with good ground clearance and driving skills. Agressive tires and limited slip would be a plus. Water and mud is possible.
Level 2: BLACK Diamond, Trail surfaces are rutted and rocky and sandy with steps not exceeding 14", with considerable erosion damage but passable. Water not exceeding 12" with some mud possible. Good vehicle approach and departure angles are helpful. Tall tires (32" plus) and traction added device (lockers, limited slip) is recommended. Above average driving skills are desirable. A winch would be a plus. Enhanced suspension travel and ground clearance are helpful.
Level 3: BLUE Diamond, Trail consists of rock trees, sand and considerable slick rock with many steps exceeding 24". Off camber inclines are prevalent. Enhanced off road eqipment is required including locking devices ( front & rear), tall tires, maximum vehicle ground clearance, and tow hooks. A winch is desirable. Excellent driving skills are required. Vehicle, mechanical, equipment, or body damage is likely. Roll over possibilities exist.
Level 4: DOUBLE BLACK Diamond, Let the carnage begin! Buggy territory. Street driven 4X4's should not attempt this trail. Modified factory vehicles will not be able to complete this trail. Excellent driving skills are required. Roll over is very common. Wiches, spare parts and tools are recommended.

Poser pic, All by myself couldn't really take any but got this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:03 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Wait :shock: :? :shock: :shock: :? :?
Justin seen the sign that it was a Blue Trail
but you didn't get any pictures due to being there by yourself?
Did you have a mouse in your pocket part of the day? :ROTFL:

I had a guy catch up to me today saying he never saw a Lifted KJ.
A very "well known" 4 WD shop here in Toledo told his Brother In Law that there was no safe way to lift them. If there were any they were hack jobs.
Think I may have to start advertising the fact that MUDS GARAGE is now open for business and show the Dumb butts how its done!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

I fownd that park on thew map larry it is only 20 to 30 min way from my new house and I need to get the front 30a or find one that is and then I will br readt to go try this park out and bring on the trees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:47 am 
LOST Newbie

just heard about this place, thinking of going there sometime with a couple friends of mine. think i should be ok with my stock liberty with no rock rails?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Kdabbagh wrote:
just heard about this place, thinking of going there sometime with a couple friends of mine. think i should be ok with my stock liberty with no rock rails?

Get some recovery points on it and you should be OK. There is a lot of sandy areas that the stock tires will probably bog down in, but if you watch where you're going you should be good. There are areas just off the main roads to play in. I would definitely not go without tow hooks though or a shackle in your receiver hitch if you have one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

yea its an 03 renegade so i have those hooks so i should be good there, was mostly worried about getting body damage. i know when i went to the badlands i had a couple spots where i had to teeter over a rock on the body seam or framerail area, and rocky spots where i didnt have the clearance and dented up my rocker panels a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post up before you go, I'd like to run up there again and I'm sure with a few days notice a few others may go. 8) :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:01 pm 
LOST Member

larry next time you go if there is no one to ride shotty I am game or if any one has room in there rig I am on the way there

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bummer I didn't see your post in time, I would have joined you.
I'll send a PM now with my phone number in case you are planning another trip.
I was thinking about heading over there late May.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:37 pm 
LOST Addict

wolverine wrote:
Bummer I didn't see your post in time, I would have joined you.
I'll send a PM now with my phone number in case you are planning another trip.
I was thinking about heading over there late May.

I know right? How dare these Ohio people come up here, infiltrate our state, then only give us 2 hours notice? :p :-)r

Just kidding with you Wildman. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:56 am 
LOST Newbie

KJWildman,
I might of seen u there. I was with a quad group that had a cook out there last Saturday. I had the liberty there but didn't take it cause it's my daily driver and waiting on parts to get the upper ball joints fixed. It was tempting though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Should've waved me down or over ... or something! :) I was just toolin around myself trying to take it easy, mine's a DD too. Are you getting Al's arms?