It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Possible WI Lift party/ M&G?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

So I am working on putting together the pieces to upgrade my suspension to the lifted variety :D, and unless I hear back from my mechanic friend who lives 2-1/2 hours away, I'm going to have to do this lift completely myself, which since I don't have a usuable garage (my 61Ford is taking up space in it), I'd have to do it outside if I do it at my house. SO.. Is anyone interested in either doing a lift party, or a M&G that would involve some wrench time on my JEEP and then any other JEEPs that would show up where-ever this is? I'm guessing this would be sometime in Oct, just based on my schedule til then, so I'm trying to see what interest there is. :JEEPIN:

We can figure out a way to get paid in beer/ pop/ brats, whatever! :5SHOTS:

Generally, we can figure out the details as I know more.

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

Post subject: Re: Possible WI Lift party/ M&G?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm totally in. Lancaster is only an hour from Madison.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:29 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

i can probably make it up there or you can come down to chicago area if that works out too...sign me up :)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 am 
LOST Member

Thanks!

I'm doing the finalization on getting myself organized, then I'll be making the call to order (after I clear final parts list with the boss, aka wife), then when I know roughly when things are coming I'll shoot out some dates. My weekend schedule is ugly until the middle of Oct., so if the snow flies before then (which I hope not), my place may not work, since all I have is driveway space. So I'm still working on an alternate location (thanks for the offer STINGN, depending on how this works out, I may have to do the drive to Chicagoland to do this, plus it would be a great chance to meet all of you down there).

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

well im in rochester mn and i got all the space and tools you need for the lift

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:16 am 
LOST Addict

Jayme and I have been into Liberty suspensions a bunch of times we'll help if we can. I can bring the rolling tool shed if needed.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I ordered all the parts (I think) that will be necessary for the lift. I might still have to order one more thing and pick up the conduit nuts for the clevis lift.
JBA UCA's on order
Frankie Premium II on order
Extra Upper Iso's on order

So here is what I know for my schedule:
I might be able to work this the weekend of Oct 2-3rd OR Oct 23rd-24th (everything won't be here by this weekend, so I'm not rushing it).

Pretty much all my other weekends between now and the end of Oct have something for me or my wife that ties up too much time to get anything accomplished, plus I need the vehicle, so I can't start and do some piecemeal until it is completed.

If the snow isn't flying, I can do it in my driveway in Madison, WI
If people would prefer a garage gushatman has offered his place in Lancaster, WI (which according to him is 1 hour west of Madison, but mapquest shows it as 1 1/2)
Twack has offered his place/ tools to do it in Rochester MN. This is close to my home town, so if there was enough interest, this would work out well for me too (will get to see my fam)

I'm not opposed to travel to Chi-town, especially if I can get lots of help from people who've been there done that, so do either of these weekends work for you Chicago folks? Others who would travel to or live in/around Chicago? Who would be willing to host in the Chicagoland area?

Knowing there are possible dates, what is the interest, so far the interested parties are/were:
JMichaelsJeep (me)
STINGN - experience (couldn't tell if you were offering to host or not)?
Yellowcoyote - experience
gushatman - garage in Lancaster (if that is the location)
ihatemybike - rolling tool shed & experience
Twack - (space and tools if in Rochester, MN)

Is there anyone else who may be interested? More so in Chicago or Madison (or elsewhere in WI)?

If it is in Madison or Lancaster, I'm thinking a M&G prior just so folks can meet prior to lift party may be kind of nice (for those that might be interested).

Let me know or PM me if you are interested.

List of tools I have for the lift:
pretty much all necessary hand tools
drill(s), grinder, and many, many more. Just name what we might need and I'll tell you if I can provide it.
air tools and an ancient old school air compressor that mostly works and takes up lots of space
small hydraulic car jack (not a bottle jack), scissors type

Is there anything "obvious" that I need to make sure to have/ bring?
We can arrange other details such as food/ drink as it gets closer.

I'm an early riser, so if it is at my place I will get started early (if not Friday night). If it is somewhere else, I can get started on the road early and drive to wherever I'm going. Or get there the night before.

So please respond with what weekend works, who's coming, what you can/ are bringing, and the location (s) that work for you. Then I can continue my planning.

Last edited by jmichaelsjeep on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

I'd join you if you come to Rochester!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Ryanee, I'll keep it in mind as I plan this.

Yellowcoyote - I COMPLETELY forgot about ECS! AND I didn't remember about the Badlands either! Well, that will take all of you out then. I'd like to do it sooner than later. My wife and I are planning a short getaway the Sept 25th-26th, I don't think I can change her mind on destination and activities! Never say never though. I'll look into it.

I'll have to either do it without all of you, OR wait until Nov...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks... I have done a lot of vehicle repairs, upgrading, maintenance, so I'm not really worried about the actual doing part, except the spring removal/ installation part. I've replaced shocks/ leaf springs before, but never coil springs. So my biggest hesitation is doing something "wrong" that will put my life/ limbs/ face :) at risk... Other than that, I'd tear into it this weekend if everything was here, I am at least hoping for some supervisory help, if not as much hands on help to speed up the process as possible.

Plus getting to actually MEET some LOST folks in person would be kind of nice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

just let me know what plans are, I should be around most weekends.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:52 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

i can offer up my place after october 31st on any day pretty much (Long Grove, IL...i have gotten to madison in about 1:30 minutes, took me about 45 minutes to get from my place to lake genevia)...i have enough room and have had two at my place so far and noone has complained yet :P

im not as experienced as ihatemybike, but i know what to do now from his help :)

and if i were you, hold off on the clevis lift, that frankenlift will give you just enough lift at first.

and make sure you grease the BA UCAs before you install the just in case no body has a greaser with a bendable neck ;)

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I can't commit just yet to coming/helping/meeting, but will be keeping my eye on this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:13 am 
LOST Member

Well, here is the update.

I think I could still fit this in the weekend of Oct 2nd, but my wife put the kibosh on that weekend, we are cleaning for a midweek b-day party the next week, Ugh. I could probably still get it done, but oh, well. It is also a party to thank the people that helped out while my wife was in the hospital most of Aug, so it is kind of a big deal.

So I had a friend near Appleton/ Green Bay, WI offer his garage for sure the weekend of the 22-24 of Oct. He may even be able to hook me up with an actual mechanics garage for the project, vehicle lift and nice shop air tools! (Woo Hoo!), Not that it is necessary, but would be kind of nice.
So I think this is leaning towards that weekend and likely at that location (sorry folks in MN and Chicago), it is much further if you still choose to come help.

Given this is happening a little further north, is there anyone new that would like to help and anyone that can no longer make it? It is probably a 3 1/2 hour drive from Chi Town to Appleton a little further to Green Bay, and my firend's place is roughly somewhere between.

From Madison it is about 2 1/4 hours drive.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to stand looking at the parts in my garage for a month! But I guess I'll have to. :pepper:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 am 
LOST Member

Oh, and thanks STINGN for the offer. If for some reason that weekend in Oct. falls through, I'll let you know and you may be my PLAN B.

And everyone else, I really apprecite the offers to help, hopefully some of you can still help at this and hopefully I can meet more of you soon.

I still think I'd like to do a M&G before this lift party... Probably in Madison, I have the perfect place for us to meet, anyone ever been to a Quaker Steak and Lube? :)

Hmmm, I may have another idea too, but I don't want to give false hope, so hold that thought.... It invovles maybe being able to "break in" the new lift.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:09 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

no problem, just let me know what happens :)

and DO NOT add the clevis lift to it with a frankenlift right off the bat, it will be too much lift, trust me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:44 pm 
LOST Member

About the Clevis, yeah, thanks. I got the same response from the Rev. Mudd, so I will heed the warning from both of you! :D

Thanks and I appreciate all the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am 
LOST Member

So all my parts are now in my possession! WOOHOO :pepper: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :rockon:

As far as I know, the location for the lift party isn't changing from my buddies house near Green Bay/ Appleton. As it gets closer I'll PM or email those that are for sure coming with directions. It will still be the weekend of Oct 23rd. I may start tearing it apart on Friday night, so it is just install, or I may start on the rear on Friday night, who knows.

I do know that the majority of the fun will happen on Sat Oct 23rd! I will have my tires by then, so this is going to be a "complete" transformation (well as complete as a JEEP ever is :D ).

I'm still waiting to hear if I'm going to have an actual "shop" space or my buddies garage, or a really cool other option, but regardless, we'll have an inside space with adequate room to work.

I'm thinking I'll supply the pop/ beer/ whatever, as well, I'm still working on food options, that may change on who comes.

So if you're interested still given this location and date, please let me know. Right now I have me, and 1-3 other people (not LOST memebers) that are lined up to help. There will likely be space for some other minor work.

I'm still trying to confirm, but it is likely we'll have someplace to "test" the new suspension and tires!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:51 am 
LOST Member

Okay, so I'm a little excited and a little bummed, I can't do the lift party on Oct 22-24th anymore... I'm paying myself on Friday (I have a little PTO left, more than I had budgeted for), so I'm taking this Friday off and I'm installing it then. It will mean I'm doing it myself (unless someone wants to come help me Friday?).

So :BANANA: :BANANA:

I'll be frankied and al'ed AND Duratrac'd by this weekend!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:00 am 
LOST Addict

I'll be at work, but can offer phone support if needed. PM for #.

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)