It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Possible WI Lift party/ M&G?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:36 pm 
LOST Member

STINGN wrote:
no problem, just let me know what happens :)

and DO NOT add the clevis lift to it with a frankenlift right off the bat, it will be too much lift, trust me

This might be a stupid question, but why is that too much lift? I was going to add 2 clevis rings per side and my spacers i bought from Mudd this weekend. Should I hold off on this?

ARB Deluxe bumper w/ Warn 9500i
Skid plates all under
ARB On-board Air w/ Front & Rear Air Lockers
JBA 4.5 UCA's
Lots O' Lights

"If it ain't broke...it might be after i try this!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:26 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

jafstl38 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

and DO NOT add the clevis lift to it with a frankenlift right off the bat, it will be too much lift, trust me

This might be a stupid question, but why is that too much lift? I was going to add 2 clevis rings per side and my spacers i bought from Mudd this weekend. Should I hold off on this?

franky is really tall...wait until it settles

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:39 pm 
LOST Member

STINGN wrote:
jafstl38 wrote:
STINGN wrote:

franky is really tall...wait until it settles

Ahhhh ok! I've had mine for a year with my ARB and winch ans I'm right at 21.75" up front

ARB Deluxe bumper w/ Warn 9500i
Skid plates all under
ARB On-board Air w/ Front & Rear Air Lockers
JBA 4.5 UCA's
Lots O' Lights

"If it ain't broke...it might be after i try this!"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:12 pm 
LOST Member

So we'll have to see what it's like after the alignment tomorrow, but here are a few pics with the lift installed and the new dura tracs on. I LIKEY... A . LOT!!!

And right now this is my favorite angle shot!

So a couple things to mention... I thought I would be able to knock this out in short order, but alas, I was fighting things quite frequently. It could have been I've not done a lot of work recently on my vehicles, or it could have been the fact that it has 135k on it and none of this has had to be worked on yet! Or it could be I was in over my head!!!

I had "directions" that were posted on here and KJ country on how to install this lift kit, most of it was very helpful. I even had torque settings handy so I wouldn't over or under torque anything. However, the upper ball joint on the original a-arms fought me on both sides. I don't know if I did something wrong, but the nut was suppose to come off easy. Well, the nut seized on the shaft and then the whole thing just moved together, so I ended up taking a cutting wheel and just cutting it off below the knuckle. I tried to just grab the bottom side with a vise grips, but it just spun anyway. No biggy, I was installing the new JBA's anyway, but I was hoping to have a spare set. It took me a while to figure out exact placement of things, jacks, ratchet straps etc., so it probably would go faster if I had to do it again, but I spent most of yesterday just on the front. I was trying to make sure I did it all right, and I still had to fight it.

The rear was overall easier, but the rear sway bar bolts were practically seized in there. I went back at that this morning after picking up a new 18mm short socket, since mine wasn't short enough. The right side rear was the first side I did, and that took me about 2 hours (even with directions, I know, I'm probably an idiot! :D ) But the drivers side took me about 40 minutes. I was fighting placement of things trying to get enough droop to get the new spring in. I must have done something wrong, because I still needed a spring compressor to get mine in. Had I not been doing the extra upper isos, I think it may have been a different story.

I'm very glad I was able to do it, very rewarding.

However. A couple things I'm still worried about:

1) I don't think I unseated the CV joints, but until I get the alignment done tomorrow, I'll have a better idea of what may still need tweaking.
2) I managed to get the drivers side front extended bumpstop in, but I'm having a H E double hockey sticks of a time getting the passenger side in.
3) I noticed when I turn left (even at slow speeds) that I have a slight clunk when I hit small bumps turning. Again, I'm hoping this is just do to it being positive cambered and slightly toed in, scratch that, VERY toed in. I imagine I'm going to have some tweaking to do as this develops, but hopefully I can still drive to work Monday.

I really love the look. I'm 6'4" and the first time I got in, I actually had to lift up a little! I'm used to just sliding in and down!

Oh and I didn't get a measurement after (yet), but before from the ground to the wheel well was 31". Oh wait, I did take the front drivers measurement when I was done with that and had it on the ground. 37" I did NOT add the clevis lift and I'm glad I didn't THIS THING IS TALL!

If the alignment takes care of everything I hope it does, I'll be one happy camper! :D :CAMPING: :JEEPIN:

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!
Coming soon:???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:50 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks Yellowcoyote,

I don't know about it being together OK, but it's together :) I got it aligned today, but there is still a clunking. After some searching on here, I thought it might be the tie rod, but I need some assistance with that trouble shooting. I thought the alignment shop would mention something if it was the tie rod, seeing as they had to adjust that as part of the alignment....

Current Mods: Surco Safari Rack, K&N Filter, Curt Hitch, VR3 HU, Optima Yellow, Frankie II Prem & JBA's Gen 4.5 UCAs, Skid Row t-case skid, and more!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

Is it your A-arms contacting the bottom of the pockets? Mine used to make a clunking noise until I replaced my A-arms with JBA's and also cut out the pockets for more down-travel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:59 pm 
LOST Member

Ryanee182-
I think you may be the winner! I took the front wheel off after my son went to bed. I checked the connections (just to make sure nothing loosened up) and I did notice the UBJ was a little loose, so I tightened that up a little.

However, I did notice that the bottom side of the A-Arms is hitting. However, this is with the JBA's gen 4.5 upper A-Arms!!! The pockets have some bending where the arms are hitting. What is odd is they aren't contacting on the other side (drivers) and visually (I haven't measured to confirm) the passenger side seems to sit higher in the front. Will it be okay for me to drive like that for a little while til I can cut the pockets open a little?

Tommudd mentioned it might be a loose strut bolt on the top, I'm hoping that's not it. But it still could be part of the problem!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am 
LOST Member

Yes, it will be fine if the A-arm is contacting the pockets. In fact, some recommend leaving the pockets alone to prevent too much down-travel. It shouldn't damage the A-arms, but you will definitely hear the clunking noise!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 am 
LOST Member

Ryanee182 -
So the A-arms may have been part of the problem, but I noticed as I drove it more, the harder metal on metal noise was diminishing, but there was more of a clunk on hard turns (like into my sloped driveway or entrances into parking lots). So last night I decided to do a quick 5 minute check of the sway bar links. BINGO. The passenger side was loose. I loosened it a little more while it was on the ground and re-tightened and NO MORE CLUNKING at least from the front right!!! :D I still have to fix my rear sway bar issue. Or rather my stupidity! I sheared off the front bolt for the pass. side of the sway bar, now when I drive over mild bumps it rattles a little!!!

I'm definitely getting some contact via the a-arms, but as it breaks in and settles that should diminish some as the angle won't be as great. The bigger issue with that will be off-road when it is drooping. I'll get around to cutting the pockets open, when I get some time :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:08 am 
LOST Member

Glad you figured it out! Let me know of any more KJ meets in west Wisconsin, as there is no activity here in Minnesota.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jmichaelsjeep wrote:
I still have to fix my rear sway bar issue. Or rather my stupidity! I sheared off the front bolt for the pass. side of the sway bar, now when I drive over mild bumps it rattles a little!!!

Rear sway bar?? Don't even know where mine is anymore. :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:32 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

bugnout wrote:
jmichaelsjeep wrote:
I still have to fix my rear sway bar issue. Or rather my stupidity! I sheared off the front bolt for the pass. side of the sway bar, now when I drive over mild bumps it rattles a little!!!

Rear sway bar?? Don't even know where mine is anymore. :D

i think i got $25 for it at a metal place with its weight too

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:48 am 
LOST Member

haha I'm sure mine if I remove it will end up next to STINGN's in a scrap yard somewhere. I haven't decided that one yet. I do a LOT of highway driving still and my wife drives it occasionally too, I worry more about her misjudging something than me. Thinking about my two year old in that scenario....