It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early August Trail Run - Colorado
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:18 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

OK, first of the month trail is the adventurous one. I'm thinking Chinaman's Gulch: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=1
or Wheeler Lake: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=40
say on August 13th?

I know several XJ guys that are very familiar with Chinaman's Gulch that would love to be trail guides to show us the right lines for our rigs, and I have read the Wheeler Lake trail only has two obstacles and they have detours around them. So, I will research the Wheeler Lake one a lot more to see if there are stocker friendly lines, because it looks like an awesome scenic trail. I know Chinaman's is not stocker friendly at all, but not as rough as Spring Creek, so hopefully no one will get left behind on that trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:55 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I would be up for either of these trails. I can't guarantee I'll be able to make it at this point but I'll try to make it.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I should be fairly settled in FT Carson by then and would love to go,needless to say I don't Know CO at all so this will be a good opertunity to get out and see some of the countryside.As far a trail diff. it doesn't much matter but I need to get my new coil springs in before I attempt anything real difficult which should be the end of august.If at all possible I'm in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:53 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Well I should be fairly settled in FT Carson by then and would love to go,needless to say I don't Know CO at all so this will be a good opertunity to get out and see some of the countryside.As far a trail diff. it doesn't much matter but I need to get my new coil springs in before I attempt anything real difficult which should be the end of august.If at all possible I'm in.

By the sound of your rig in your sig, sounds like Ted might have a little competition. You do have rock sliders of some sort, right? It is pretty much mandatory on the trails here, no matter what the difficulty, unless you don't care about your rockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I don't know how much competition I'll be,I'm more used to running through mud in the flatlands of SD!I do have rockrails but they are homemade by a buddy of mine back home I'll see how they hold up,might need to modify the design just a little but I'll have to test them first(I can jack my KJ up by them so they might be just fine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:17 pm 

tjkj2002 wrote:
Well I don't know how much competition I'll be,I'm more used to running through mud in the flatlands of SD!I do have rockrails but they are homemade by a buddy of mine back home I'll see how they hold up,might need to modify the design just a little but I'll have to test them first(I can jack my KJ up by them so they might be just fine).

As long as you have tow points,skids and rock rails of some sort, you can go just about anywhere, especially since you have lockers and a winch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:06 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

tjkj2002 wrote:
Well I should be fairly settled in FT Carson by then...

Where are you going to be? I'm in 1/6 Cav out at the airfield. Make sure you wave when you see me and I'll make sure to do the same.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:36 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

If I remember TJKJ's jeep right, he has me beat... At least I was drooling over it at Ft.Lewis before I deployed last year... Just wait until you see it!!! It was nice before the ARB Bumper... Now we can dent the bumper like we did to the other Ted's at Moab...

Do not worry, my rails are homebrews as well... and don't worry, the first dent/scrape on the underbelly is the hardest... If you ever think your tires or under belly looks bad, just do what the rest of the Rockies guys do.... They look under my junk :roll:

And Welcom to CO!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:59 pm 

OK, from the responses I got on the CO4x4 board, you will need skids, tow points, lift and tires for Wheeler, and especially rocker sliders. The two main obstacles have several routes over them, but the easiest route isn't forgiving on the rockers. I guess it is easier than Chinamans, however, so is everyone that wants to go, want to run Wheeler Lake? I hear there is good fishing in that lake too.

Wheeler Lake on Sunday, August 13th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm in for Wheeler lake on the 13th,suppose I better test this armor the right way!Since I'll be new to the area I'll need pretty detailed directions on where to meet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would love to go on this one. Hopefully I will have the cherokee going by then.

Anyone want to change a rear main seal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 pm 

damo252 wrote:
Anyone want to change a rear main seal?

Um, no, but here is a great tech article on how to do it, just in case it may help: http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/index.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have actually printed out that article to use when I am doing it.

I have just been putting it off because it is soo messy.

Post subject: Wheeler lake
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cool, I used to live in Placer valley about 5 years ago, just down the road from Montgomery res. I've been up this trail several times, both in my old Wrangler and my mountain bike. If I can get skid plates installed in time, I will go. Hoping to get with Rocklizard here soon and get armoured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I just looked up Wheeler Lake in the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails and OMG! I will definately have to do some work on my KJ before attempting this one. Marty, are we going to be able to make it all the way to the lake? From the sounds of things, I may need to get strapped for my first time since the North Supply Road debacle. :roll:

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KW AV8R wrote:
From the sounds of things, I may need to get strapped for my first time since the North Supply Road debacle. :roll:
How on earth did you get stuck on North Supply Creek? Or is that different from North Supply Road?

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:06 pm 

KW AV8R wrote:
I just looked up Wheeler Lake in the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails and OMG! I will definately have to do some work on my KJ before attempting this one. Marty, are we going to be able to make it all the way to the lake? From the sounds of things, I may need to get strapped for my first time since the North Supply Road debacle. :roll:

Sara and some of the others have done it in Wranglers and what not, so they are more familiar with it, but we should do fine. I know there will be some two and three wheelie action, but we'll just have to be prepared for that at those obstacles with straps on the front tow points to pull the nose down when the tire comes up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:39 pm 
I live here
I live here

Kugellager wrote:
KW AV8R wrote:
From the sounds of things, I may need to get strapped for my first time since the North Supply Road debacle. :roll:
How on earth did you get stuck on North Supply Creek? Or is that different from North Supply Road?

John
];')

During the winter, it is a snowmobile trail. Little did we know that. We happened on it and the snow hid some soft spots as we tried to turn around.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tokyojoe wrote:
During the winter, it is a snowmobile trail. Little did we know that. We happened on it and the snow hid some soft spots as we tried to turn around.
Ahhh! didn't consider the winter option. Snow adds a whole new level of difficulty to a trail.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 pm 
I live here
I live here

It was embarrassing for us when all the snowmobiles kept zooming by us. Two KJ's stuck in drop-offs on the side of the road. I had stock tires at the time and Jim (broncsrule almost got stuck in the middle of the trail and would've urinated off the snowmobilers for blocking the trail.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military