It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ft. Hood Closing
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:09 am 

Pete - didn't you mention you might be getting transferred to Ft. Hood? It is closing down and moving to Ft. Carson from what I heard this morning... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:28 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Fort Hood is the home for many units, namely the 4th Infantry Division (4ID), the 1st Cavalry Division (1CD), the 13th Corps Support Command (13th COSCOM), and the III Corps Headquarters (III Corps). 4ID is moving to Fort Carson after their next deployment to Iraq and the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (3ACR) is moving to Fort Hood. Everything else is to stay put for the most part. For most people in the affected units, all that will happen is that they will change the patch on their shoulder. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to those who's job doesn't exist in the other unit. 3ACR has the Kiowa Warrior but 4ID does not so I have to move. The last bit of information I got was that the move hasn't been apporved by Congress but (knowing my luck) it will be by the time I get back from this deployment. I've tried to think of every possibility that might allow me to stay at Fort Carson but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. :x To make it worse, if you remember, I just got to Fort Carson in June '04. Since I left for this deployment in March '05, won't be getting back until March '06, and may be moving by July '06, I'll have only been there 13 months. :x :x

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:35 pm 
I was surprised to read they're closing Walter Reed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:53 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I just heard that too (in the last 5 minutes). I sometimes really question what the military is thinking. How do you close the Army's premier hospital?

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:58 pm 
It seems they're thinking a new "Walter Reed II" hospital would be better than rehabbing the original. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:49 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

well, could be worse pete... Yes you may have to leave Co. but TX has a lot of wheeling too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:45 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

One of the reasons I'm a little upset about the move is because I spent the first 6 years of my career at Fort Hood and the only way I could get to Colorado was to volunteer for a tour in Korea. I was in Colorado for a little over 2 years (but being a tank mechanic, I had no time to enjoy it) before I got picked up for flight school. I fought to be top of my class so I would have 1st choice of duty stations upon graduation, made it, and chose Colorado. Soon as I get here, I get deployed and then told I'm moving back to Fort Hood. ARRRG!!!

ok, no more venting....

On the good side of things, pretty much everywhere I can get stationed has awesome wheeling. Here's the list: Fort Hood, TX; Fort Campbell, KY; Fort Drum, NY; Fort Bragg, NC; Fort Lewis, WA; and Hawaii. I'll also pass through Fort Rucker, AL mulitple times for months of training each time, but I'll never get stationed there. Like I said, good wheeling where ever I get stationed.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject: Not moving?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:00 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I just found out that there is a better than average chance that I will not be moving to Fort Hood. It appears that though 3ACR is moving to Fort Hood, it is losing its aviation assets. There will be a new unit formed at Fort Carson called the 1st Squadron, 6th Cavalry (1/6 Cav), and it will be all the aviation assets that 3ACR used to have. Once again this is just a product of the rumor mill, but it is looking like you guys are going tohave to put up with me for a while longer. :wink:

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:11 pm 

Quote:
but it is looking like you guys are going tohave to put up with me for a while longer.

Gladly! :D