It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liking Liberty more, Fall colors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello: Just wanted to let everyone know, am begining to like the Liberty a little better. Did a semi-tough trail today, up Peru creek to the base of the Argentine pass area. Anyone been there??? I figured by taking different lines and not trying to drive over rocks the Liberty does better.
By the way, what does the KJ stand for??? Does anyone know off hand how much a lift kit installed at a dealer might cost??? Plan on saving up over the winter to get it done. I saw the posting from the 4X4KId. You were a little hard on him, I bet he is having the same doubts about the Liberty as I do. But am feeling a little more comfortable each trip out. Finally, my main reason for the 4x4 is my photography. I was a pro photographer at one time and know just shoot for myself. Does anyone have any ideas for good fall color sites. Some color in the mountains I saw today, near Keystone it will not be long. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Bluethunder25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:01 pm 

Glad to hear it! I know Lithia installs lifts, but I doubt it would be reasonable. We could do a lift party for you. I'm sure all it would cost you is a 6 pack and a pizza for labor. USAFCOP might even get you into the AF Academy garage! Now what kind of lift is the question...the cheepies will cost around $200 and the best of the best $750. On the cheap end you get some poly spacers and that's about it. The mid to high range can get you full spring lift with all new shocks and struts.

KJ is the production name of the Liberty. Just like the old Cherokee was an XJ and the Wrangler is a TJ.

4X4Kid - yes that was a bit harsh. You came on here with a much better attitude than he did. We're willing to help, but if folks want to just bash on the KJ and not listen to other points of view then this is not going to be the place for that. Also, I for one don't like the notion that he blames LOST for his buyer's remorse. Off my soap box now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:08 pm 
I live here
I live here

Hey Bluethunder. Glad you are enjoying the KJ. Four common lifts used by most KJ owners are:

Rusty's Coil Lift
Frankenlift
Skyjacker
Rough Country

A few say Daystar doesn't work AS well.

You will need to do research on them on here. Rusty's is great and is cheaper in price, but the Franken and Rough Country can get you a little more lift but costs much more.

Check with your dealer to see if they will cover lifts. Some of the ones I have talked to will negate your warranty if you go 3" or more. Some are cool with it. Check around first.

Knowing how to off-road with a KJ is important. It is not the same as other off-road vehicles.

Hard on 4x4kid? Yes. Don't just jump in here and attack the KJ. Discuss it and we'll be glad to discuss back.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:51 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Lifts on the Lib are far easier than they seem...

We could get you in the shop possibly, but it is a lift that can be done effectively/easily in the front of your garage... (mine doesn't fit in the garage anymore :roll: ) I for one have torn the front of several libs apart to do lifts (back in Missouri) to include updating my own custom fab a few times.

I am currently upgrading to the Franken lift, it is pricey, but All J will pre assemble the struts for you (I have a strut compressor if you still want to do it yourself) which is the biggest pain in the whole lift process. And what I have seen it seems the most liked lift.

As for a get together/mod lift, I am game for a Saturday of Jeep work (as long as it is not a Saturday of a home football game.)

Also, I agree with all the others have said, If you have a good attitude and realize the limitations of your vehicle of choice, you will be happy with it. No the KJ will not do what my TJ, SJ, or my old 79 F-100 could, but there are things she can do that the others wouldn't have even begun.

As for mine, she has been pushed to the max so I can learn what she can and can't do. Could I now afford to get something else, well once the new family car is paid for, yes. But I have grown to love my "compromise" vehicle that I got when I had to get rid of the TJ due to children.

The comments to 4x4kid, some were too Jeeps Unlimited Dillinger (there is a name you don't see anymore... bad ju ju) style, thus I did not chime in. This forum was started on the old board because the JU forum was so negative and the xj folks were too pissed about KJ IFS to even give it a try.

Sorry so long, but I have had a few, and tend to blab or grope the wife when I get this way... keyboard here wife accross room, so you guys get to here me ramble through type.

Welcome to lost Rockies!!!