It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking1 – St. Mary's Glacier
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:05 pm 

First off, welcome to the site! About the road up to St. Mary’s Glacier...it should be doable. Just make sure you put your tire directly on the big rocks instead of trying to straddle them. When you drive over a rock with your tire it raises the entire vehicle up and has the effect of increasing your clearance! Pretty simple little trick that I never thought of on my first few offroad trips.

One question for you…did you get the skids and rock rails? If not, those should be your first investments. That way when you hear rocks scraping along the bottom side or your baby you can be relatively certain nothing bad is happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Skyjump16, thanks for the timely reply! Yes, I have the factory skid plates (which I think still leaves something uncovered...) and rock rails. I probably still cringe the first dozen times I hear rocks scraping, but from the sounds of some of the adventures posted here, that's nothing!

I doubt I'll make it back to St Mary's this year, but if I do I'll let you know how it went. And thanks for the 'do not straddle' tip. I'd read that elsewhere and am always open (and thankful) for these little tid-bits of wisdom.

See yo on the trails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Factory skids leave out the tranny skid (some '05 have em). You can get it for under $30 though, easy install. Do a search and see what you can find.

Rock rails are very important because you'll go over that big rock with your front tire and as soon as the front decends off it your side will be be dragging on that rock, without protection this isn't good, but with the sliders you slid right through and your rear tire goes right over.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535