It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with aux lights...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

i need to find the low beam wire from the headlights, but since all the wires under my hood are pretty much brown from mud, its kinda hard to tell, and i am very unfamiliar with the electrical setup in the KJ. basically i have some lights on the roof that im trying to wire up and i got everything goin'! i got the relay all wired up, but i was told by a friend that i could bypass wiring the switch to a 2amp power source... i dont think that is holding true. so now all i need is to find that 2 amp headlight wire and it should work. if not... off to circuit city it goes and im $175 poorer.

some good did come out of all of this however, when i disconnedged the negative termimal from the battery and then reconnected it, the transmission now shifts a whole lot smoother from 1-2 and 2-1. all those trips to the dealer and all those software upgrades, and something that simple could have cured it all along! :D

Communications System Provided by: Cobra CB
Navigation provided by: Garmin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:38 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Why do you want your overhead lights hooked to your headlights?

The lights should have come with the switch and wiring harness w/relay, just follow the instructions that came with, no need to overcomplicate it man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:21 pm 
the switch lights up, so it draws power from the headlights such that when the lights are turned on, the switch lights up. I thought it would work without being lit up (and in theory it should), but apparently it doesn't. workin on the 2A location, got a hook up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

USAFCOP wrote:
Why do you want your overhead lights hooked to your headlights?

The lights should have come with the switch and wiring harness w/relay, just follow the instructions that came with, no need to overcomplicate it man.

lol, if only it were that simple. there was no wiring harness, i had to make it, there was no relay, i had to buy it. thats not a big deal, ive done it with plenty of other cars however i was a little more familliar with the electrical setups. toyota and suzuki believe in running wires as directly to the source as possible, chrysler on the other hand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

if only I were in town, I could have helped you. I am somewhat familiar with 12V systems.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

aawwwwwwwwwww, u so nice. no need for it tho, as soon as i feel like it, everythings getting ripped out and going in the trash...
thanks for all u guys' help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:40 pm 
I live here
I live here

I've got no experience with firewalls and wiring for the KJ. I followed someone elses suggestion for my CB. (straight to the fusebox on the drivers door-side). Otherwise, I would have broken out the BFH and sledged the firewall for ya. :lol:

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

o i got thru the firewall, my wires were thin enough to where i didnt have to drill through the plastic bolt but just go thru the grommet. the problem is/was i need a 2 amp maximum constant power source for the switch, which i think after looking at the diagram more powers the relay...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Why don't you run a direct line from the battery and place a 5A or 2A inline?

I have done a lot of wiring for my lights (front and rear) and my ARB, compressor etc...7 relays, 6 switches, 2 circuit breakers lots of wiring, switches, solenoids etc...feel free to PM me for my e-mail or phone #

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications