It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello all...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ive had both an XJ and a KJ for some time now. Recently the wife and I decided that solely for gas price reasons we needed to sell one for a more fuel efficient car. After some long thought on the subject I decided to get rid of the XJ. Its had some issues from the day I bought it and ive dumped more money into it than its worth. The KJ is a much more comfortable feel for me except it being a bit more tipsy than the XJ. The suspension is much nicer on the KJ as well. I just hope to see something in the way of a 4" lift soon or the possibility of running 31's or something. Heh...ah well. Glad to have found a good comunity for the KJ. Any tips on handling and offroading with the KJ would be great...im so used to an XJ im afraid ill screw up somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 pm 
Here Ye, Here Ye, Get your SFA's Today! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

lol...ive been with the XJ crowd for so long. It's really hard to let that thing go. But...I think its past it's time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 pm 
I live here
I live here

You can get 31's on the KJ with a 2.5" Frankenlift (actual height increase is more but not official).

Welcome. Good choice with the KJ. Now go get some mods on it.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:51 pm 
Vertisce wrote:
lol...ive been with the XJ crowd for so long. It's really hard to let that thing go. But...I think its past it's time.

Curious. SFA was the talk of the summer here... I don't understand it either; love my 4x independent. Now, if only they'd gimme a diesel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I understand the need for SFA...I just dont need it. On one hand the independant suspension rides smoother on the roads. On the other hand SFA gives you more stability offroad when it comes to how far down your tires can go without caving too far inward. Getting an SFA kit for the front of my Liberty isnt out of the question for me...but the question IS...how much? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Vertisce wrote:
I understand the need for SFA...I just dont need it. On one hand the independant suspension rides smoother on the roads. On the other hand SFA gives you more stability offroad when it comes to how far down your tires can go without caving too far inward. Getting an SFA kit for the front of my Liberty isnt out of the question for me...but the question IS...how much? lol
No kits yet,I'm doing the swap and so far I've got about $13,000 in parts,not all bought yet and still have to make the custom cradle and belly pan for the TJ long arm kit.

Oh and welcome to L.O.S.T. Rockies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:40 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Welcome to LOST.

I made the switch to a KJ from a TJ back in '01, and the KJ has never really let me down, except for a couple times, and one was my own ego.

The KJ is a tough machine. You will enjoy wheeling it. The aftermarket is really picking up thanks to a few smaller local vendors in Cal, CO, Kentucky, and UT(I, think). If you need some mods and money is tight there are for sale and wanted threads at the bottom of the main page, and there are a few of us that will or have posted IFS lifts on there due to IFS swaps in progress. The key is wheel what you got. There are a few of you in Salt Lake, now, and a bunch here on the frontrange in CO. CO usually tries to do 2 runs a month one stocker and one mod/diff run, last year we were all broke (fiscally and physically)and busy so it was not as often, but we try. I will be gone this summer, may be able to hit a few trails in the fall (maybe a fall MOAB run if I can talk enough people into it).
If you have looked at the rest of the board you will see a lot of talk about Lower Ball joints. This is the achiles heel of the KJ. Check them often.

Overall, welcome to LOST hope you enjoy your KJ as much as your XJ, just remember every vehicle is different and once you learn how to drive it, it will perform excellently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I know I had the ball joints replaced as part of the recall a while back. I plan to lift but I gotta have that money for the wheels and new tires first as well. But I hope to do it soon.