It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Highlanders
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1st lemme' say that i'm truly jealous of your state. Colorado has been a favorite of mine since i 1st went there as a boy and i still relish my bi-annual trips into the wild. Speaking of which, i am bringing a group to backpack for about 4 days this June. This trip, i will arrive about 3-4 days ahead of the group for a little wheeling (me & the two dogs).

Option 1: Last time i spent a half day up & around Crystal (mine) just east of Marble. Map recon shows that County HWY 3 & 317 go from Crystal over Schofield Pass and on to Crested Butte.

1) Is this doable in a lifted/armored Libby? (no winch)
2) Can go solo or advise w/2nd for probable recovery?
3) Is route clear in June?

Option 2: Would like to make a run from Ouray to Telluride through Imogene & Black Bear Pass. Same questions as above.

Planning on wheeling June 6, 7 & possibly 8th & would love to hook up w/any of you out there if interested. Lemme' know & thanx in advance for your knowledge & opinions!

Conquests: Poughkeepsie Gulch, Governor's Basin, Black Bear/Imogene/Engineer/Cinnamon pass, Coal Creek OHV, Badlands OHV, S.M.O.R.R., K-Rocks, Parent's driveway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Just remember that The Rockies consist of more states than CO. Don't be racist against Utahns!
If you plan a trip to Western CO, you should cross the border to MOAB while you're in town.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

JL Rockies wrote:
Just remember that The Rockies consist of more states than CO. Don't be racist against Utahns!
If you plan a trip to Western CO, you should cross the border to MOAB while you're in town.

Fully Agreeable The entire Rocky Mountain region has beauty you will find no where else haveing been raised back east in the Blue Ridge Mountain IE: Lincoln Trail, When I moved to Colorado Ilearned a great deal.

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject: Re: Hey Highlanders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

MP Jeeper wrote:
1st lemme' say that i'm truly jealous of your state. Colorado has been a favorite of mine since i 1st went there as a boy and i still relish my bi-annual trips into the wild. Speaking of which, i am bringing a group to backpack for about 4 days this June. This trip, i will arrive about 3-4 days ahead of the group for a little wheeling (me & the two dogs).

Option 1: Last time i spent a half day up & around Crystal (mine) just east of Marble. Map recon shows that County HWY 3 & 317 go from Crystal over Schofield Pass and on to Crested Butte.

Option 2: Would like to make a run from Ouray to Telluride through Imogene & Black Bear Pass. Same questions as above.

Planning on wheeling June 6, 7 & possibly 8th & would love to hook up w/any of you out there if interested. Lemme' know & thanx in advance for your knowledge & opinions!

Well I believe as long as you know how to drive your KJ, and have skids and rails, a lift and the typical 31.5" tires, you should be fine.

As for being clear of snow in June, I do not know Been pretty week so far this winter, but sometin=mes April is bad, so you will have to check as you get closer.

Post subject: Re: Hey Highlanders
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 am 
LOST Newbie

MP Jeeper wrote:

Option 1

1. I was up to the Crystal mill and the townsite in June 06 with a stock Libby (factory skids, no lift) with out any issues. It is very rocky but should be no problem if you go slow.
2. Solo should be OK. I would make sure my spare tire is good.
3. Should be good up to the mill and townsite. There are many years the pass does not open until July/August or at all. With the heavy snow we are seeing this year there is a good chance it may not open. Kebler Pass would be an option if Schofield is closed.

Option 2

Again you might be a little early. Ophr pass is an option that my be open if the others are not.

July 23, 2006 L.O.S.T Rockies Tarp Conference at Bill Moore Lake with 12 other KJ'S
L.O.S.T. #060165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:54 am 
LOST Addict

Give me a shout if you head over this way. If I'm not working I'm down for whatever.