It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Probably moving - UPDATE 22 Mar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:05 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I just got word there is a very good chance I will be moving about 6 months after I get back from Iraq this time. Unofficial word is that I wil be moving to the Manhattan, Kansas area around June or July of next year. I'll let you know more as I get more information.

For those of you that remember the last time I deployed, this is the same kind of thing that happened last time. However, this time it's my unit specifically and the Army has already spent money to prep Ft. Riley for our move. Wish me luck.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Last edited by KW AV8R on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

D amn Dude! I hope not...that would suck!... For us in CO anyway ;)

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I agree 100% especially after our little meet and greet last month. Not trying to bad mouth Kansas but having driven many a time thru can we say miles and miles of flat crop field??

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:24 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I was talking to my wife about the move and she is definately okay with driving back on long weekends to go wheeling in CO. I think she even said something like "maybe even once a month during the summer time, finances allowing." Long story short, I will be maintaining my membership with LOST Rockies and will be participating as much as possible if I end up moving to KS (which is sounding more and more like a sure thing).

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My brother-in-law is stationed at Fort Leavenworth, Ks, and we drive up there occasionally to see him and his family. My wife and I both love the Rocky Mountains and the deserts of the great Southwest, so I’m proud to be a LOST ROCKIES Member. Living in Northern, New Mexico for 3 years really spoiled us. As you already know, there are a lot of great LOST members, and we are always looking to recruit more. We wouldn’t want to see you drop the club due to distance. I wish Sarah and I lived closer so we could take a more active role in the Club, but unfortunately that’s the way it goes. If you can make one - two club trail runs a year, then I think your drive out would be worth it. Being born and raised in Northeastern Kansas, I can honestly say that the Rockies is the place to be!

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:14 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I will be stationed at Ft. Riley near Manhattan so it should only be about a 8 hour drive back to the springs. I figure the way the price of gas is going, I should be able to do the trip for around $200. The nice thing is that we have a lot of military friends in the area that will allow us to stay with them during those trips.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KW AV8R wrote:
I will be stationed at Ft. Riley near Manhattan so it should only be about a 8 hour drive back to the springs. I figure the way the price of gas is going, I should be able to do the trip for around $200. The nice thing is that we have a lot of military friends in the area that will allow us to stay with them during those trips.

Yep, with I-70, you can pretty much sail on over, and with family bathroom breaks, I think 8 hours would be about right. Plus you gain an hour when passing into Colorado. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

KW AV8R wrote:

Actually, it should take a lot less than 8 hours. When I went back home for my grandfathers funeral in January, I stopped in Limon for lunch and Hayes for dinner since I had the kids with me, plus a quick pitstop or two to pee, so a total of maybe one hour minimum (hit the Walmart for a little walk and buy some games for the kids to entertain them on the trip), and I stopped at the familiar gas station in Manhatten at six hours from when I left Colorado Springs. I always set the cruise at 5 miles over the speed limit, so I'm not breaking any landspeed records either. That particular gas station is about 15-20 minutes from Tuttle OHV park. I was telling Troy and Ted once we get the SFA's done, we could run out there for a three day weekend, stay at one of those many hotels, I'd give Dirk at dpgoffroad a ring because I know he would go for a run with us, and we could hit Tuttle Creek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
KW AV8R wrote:

Actually, it should take a lot less than 8 hours. When I went back home for my grandfathers funeral in January, I stopped in Limon for lunch and Hayes for dinner since I had the kids with me, plus a quick pitstop or two to pee, so a total of maybe one hour minimum (hit the Walmart for a little walk and buy some games for the kids to entertain them on the trip), and I stopped at the familiar gas station in Manhatten at six hours from when I left Colorado Springs. I always set the cruise at 5 miles over the speed limit, so I'm not breaking any landspeed records either. That particular gas station is about 15-20 minutes from Tuttle OHV park. I was telling Troy and Ted once we get the SFA's done, we could run out there for a three day weekend, stay at one of those many hotels, I'd give Dirk at dpgoffroad a ring because I know he would go for a run with us, and we could hit Tuttle Creek.

My State Cross Country meet was held at Tuttle Creek when I was a Freshman in High School, good times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:51 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I've also made this drive in about 6 hours or less but that was in different vehicles. For some reason, my KJ doesn't like to cruise at 75-80mph so I would probably be cruising somewhere around 65-70mph. I also try to plan for more time than the trip will actually take so the wife is pleasantly surprised when I make it in less time. :wink: However, if there is some snow or high winds, it may just take me that long.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Quote:
I also try to plan for more time than the trip will actually take so the wife is pleasantly surprised when I make it in less time. Wink

That's great thinking Pete! At least you'll be getting the little guy used to the driving early... :D

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:23 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

I would definetly be up for a run to Tutle creek, heck I could just take the trailer and stay at the campground like I used to all the time when I was stationed in MO.

sucks about the move though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:12 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

The move is almost a foregone conclusion as of right now. The only thing that could affect the move is Zach's medical care (long story). If it does, then I will be moving someplace other than KS but I'll be moving one way or the other. This will happen around July '09. I may be gone before that for a 5 month long school enroute to my new location but that's not a sure thing as of yet.

As for Tuttle Creek, chances are that our new house will have a guest room so if someone comes out to go wheeling, I may have room for you to stay (especially since Tuttle Creek is only 5 miles north of town).

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I will not be moving to Fort Riley, KS. There is about a 95% chance that I will be moving to Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA. There are only 3 other possible assignments I could get and those are in KY, WA, and HI. None of them are as good an assignment as GA though that does put me about as far away from CO as possible and still be in the contiguous United States.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KW AV8R wrote:
I will not be moving to Fort Riley, KS. There is about a 95% chance that I will be moving to Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA. There are only 3 other possible assignments I could get and those are in KY, WA, and HI. None of them are as good an assignment as GA though that does put me about as far away from CO as possible and still be in the contiguous United States.
Well that just sucks :( !

It's going to suck to see you move Pete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bummer………………….LOST ROCKIES needs as many “active” participants as possible. Your absence will be felt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

First thank you for your service, know it is appreciated. Sucks being relocated.......................I do hope all works out for you and you get chances here and there to get back to CO to wheel. I hope some where along the way of life you will get the chance to move back.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk

Post subject: Latest Update
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Okay, as most of you know, the only constant in the military is change. I will still be moving soon after I get back from Iraq but the exact date is still unknown. The only places I can be assigned other than CO are: GA, KY, WA, and HI. My career manager is saying the mostly likey place will be HI and that WA is not going to happen. I'm still trying to swindle a slot in GA but it's not looking good. I'll keep everyone updated as I get more information.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject: ARG!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

OK, my career manager is clueless. He is now saying that I will be going to Fort Lewis, WA (Tacoma, WA). I don't think he knows what he's doing and I expect to be told that I'll be going somewhere else in about another month. :x At this point, I would like to get locked into anywhere. Damnit, just tell me where I'm going next already!!! Maybe by the time I get home, I'll at least have an idea when I'm moving since I still don't even know that!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm completely frustrated with the system.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject: Re: ARG!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KW AV8R wrote:
OK, my career manager is clueless. He is now saying that I will be going to Fort Lewis, WA (Tacoma, WA). I don't think he knows what he's doing and I expect to be told that I'll be going somewhere else in about another month. :x At this point, I would like to get locked into anywhere. Damnit, just tell me where I'm going next already!!! Maybe by the time I get home, I'll at least have an idea when I'm moving since I still don't even know that!

In case you couldn't tell, I'm completely frustrated with the system.
Ft Lewis sucks,I know I was stationed there,cold and drizzly for 11 months out of the year :evil: .Tacoma is a total dump also.

But hey you'll run like the wind at only 100' of elevation :lol: !