It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How about I moved to Colorado Springs...from Spain.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:42 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Wife's offered a good job there, thing is we now live in Spain / Europe. She doesn't want to go because she thinks Colorado is always covered with snow... :roll:

What would be a good place to live with not to much cold?

Can I bring my KJ with me?

Thanks, Tony.

Just seen a place called Pueblo to the south of Colorado Springs. Funny, Pueblo means Village in Spanish... :D

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 am 
I live here
I live here

A total misconception!

Denver metro, Colorado Springs, and Ft Collins are like any other Midwest/Northern city. We do not get more snow than them. In fact, we are better than all of those Midwest/Northern cities. WE get >300 days of sunshine a year!!! The air is drier here and with the sun, the snow metls very fast. We can get 6 inches in the morning and by the afternoon you will see the ground (dirt/dead grass) and the roads will be clean/dry.

I had never been to Colorado and my first impression was that Denver was IN the mountains. It isn't. It is in the plains.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Well that's good to know! It's probably because al we see are snowy pics of Breckenridge.

Will they allow my CRD into the US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Colorado does get snow generally between the end of October through the end of March but, as Tokyojoe said, it will melt off quickly. Generally, no matter how heavy the snow, the roads are clear within 2 days and we have great views of the mountains. I've always said that we get just enough sow to enjoy it but it doesn't stick around long enough to become bothersome. Of the 3 major cities in Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo), pueblo has the warmest temperatures but the fewest luxuries. Denver has all the luxuries but the colder temperatures. Colorado Springs has a pretty good mix of the two. Pueblo tends to hit around 100*F during the summer, Colorado Springs averages 10*F cooler with Denver 5*F cooler still. I can't remember ever seeing negative temperatures for any of those cities. Something else to keep in mind is that east of the mountains (where all the major cities are) is high desert.

As far as bringing your KJ, as long as it meets US requirements, bring it. Even if you don't plan on modifying it, there are plenty of places in the mountains your KJ will take you to see. Is it 4WD?

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

100*F...wow, that's even warmer then here. And my KJ is like a US 2.8CRD but with a 2.5 engine. It made EURO 3 emission specs so I suppose..

And yeah it's a 4x4. Trac lock 4.10 gear rear axle, lifted, skid, ready to rock!

Last edited by tonycrd on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tony - I'd bet Jeep never certified the 2.5 for the US market - meaning you would have to if you wanted to bring it in.
Which would mean a lot of money and paperwork -you need to research this - we some discussions about trying to bring in some European Wrangler Diesels and it didn't sound positive.

FYI - I lived in Colorado Springs for 3 years - I loved it.
(okay I worked in the Springs - I lived in Woodland park 18 miles away - up in the mountains - never missed work because of snow - they cleared the roads & I was careful - no problems - and the 1st 2 years I was driving a Camaro)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Have to look into that...then it will probably be easier to sell it here and buy another one in the states.

Ow, I almost forgot: are Pitbulls banned in CO? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey Tony, I want to say you will LOVE Colorado, all along the front range ( Front Range = the larger citys east of the Rockys) that is Denver , the Springs ect ect ect. The weather as others have said is very over Hyped, as others have stated most of the Snow is in the Mountains and not in the Front Range area. We do get snow some times but the majority of the time, it snows and 2-3 days later you can not tell.
One other Point I must make is Colorado is Very Very friendly :D , I was raised in the Washington DC area on the East coast when skiing in the East if you fell on the slope, you had better roll or they will ski right over you :shock: , then I skied in Colorado when I fell down I was surrounded by people helping me up handing me my ski poles and brushing the snow off my and inquireing if I was OK. :shock: :D
This may be one of the factors as to why Colorado has the REP as being snow bound {Keeps the ill mannored out of Colorado} :-)r :-)r :-)r
I think you will be surpriced and Happy in Colorado they a friendly and great people from all araound. 8) 8) 8) 8)

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

hey it'd be great to have you. And pitbulls are not banned in colorado i have several friends with them. I personally would not recommend Pueblo as a place for residence unless you like desert climate.

Tint
Rusty's 2.5" Suspension
245/75/16 BFG AT KO's
16x8 Big Hoss XD Series Rims
Limited Edition Wheel Cover
Coleman Roof Rack
3-D cell maglite and mount
Mopar Cross Rails
Ebay seat covers with jeep embroidery.
K&N air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

Denver! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 pm 
Monument & Palmer Lake (just north of CO Springs) are nice little towns. Just enough out of the city, but close enough to commute in. Also, the speed-limit on the expressways is 75 here, so getting along the front-range isn't too bad. I used to commute 1 hr each way from Monument to Denver a few years back. I'm a mid-westerner-transplant myself and LOVE the front-range climate. So, what is it that your wife and you 'do' for a living? I assume you'll need a job too, maybe we can help hook you up... Do you have any family or friends here? When are you looking to move?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:30 pm 
I live here
I live here

Pitbulls are banned in certain cities.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:43 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Tokyojoe wrote:
Pitbulls are banned in certain cities.

I know they aren't banned in the Colorado Springs area* but not sure about anywhere else.

*This includes Colorado Springs, Fountain, Security, Widefield, Peyton, and Manitou Springs.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:55 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

wow guys, thanks for al that info. :D

Trying to talk her into it...will let you know asap....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:53 pm 
I live here
I live here

Life is awesome here.

While the Midwest and all other Northern states have cloudy dreary winters, Colorado is SUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to wear sunglasses year-round.

Just a piece of advice: You will sunburn faster here, than in Miami. SUNSCREEN!!!!

More microbreweries than any other state (yes, more than Wisconsin and Cali). Awesome Brews!

This is also a sports nut capital.
Pro Football
Pro Baseball
Pro Basketball
Pro Hockey
Pro Soccer
Pro Lacrosse
Arena Football
Softball leagues EVERYWHERE
VERY Bicycle friendly with lots of bike lanes and trails
Skiing/Snowboarding
Snowshoeing
Cross Country Skiing/Telemark...etc...
Snowmobiling
Hiking
Camping
Fishing
Big Game Hunting
Road racing (biking)
Mountain Biking
Sand Dune sandboarding
The awesome-est off-roading
much more

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Listen to Tokyo Joe He has it pegged :D One other thing the humidity is relativley low compared to the east coast part ot the States. So for me having been raised in the Washington DC area 100 degree here feels like 80 degree there. In the winter 30 dergree in the Easten states would take temps of 20 below zero to equal the humidity makes that big a difference. :shock: :D 8) Much more mild a weather then everyone thinks. :twisted:

PIAA head light bulbs, Fog Light switched out to SilverStar 9005's
MagnaFlo Muffler, New Radiator, Rebuilt A/C system,Rebuilt Rear Diff, LBJ's twice
Dunlop 245/70-16 Rover AT