It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternate Route to Moab?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:21 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Hey Colorado guys ---

I am looking at forecasts for the route over the rockies, thru Vail Pass and it looks like snow both Saturday and Sunday. Is there a way to halfway determine if its the kind of snow showers to make driving unsafe? What alternate route is good when snow makes this route not so good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

There really isn't any way of getting there without crossing a pass or two. The only other way I can think of is further south through Durango and whatnot. You still have to go over wolf creek pass but the roads down here are dry. It's also a nice drive through Pagosa and Wolf Creek up through Monticello. That way would add some hours to your trip though. I think you're going to be just fine driving on the I-70.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Dude, you are driving your jeep right? You would have no significant problems on the interstate in your Jeep.
I-70 is a major interstate and they do a good job of keeping it plowed and open. Very very rarely are there 70-car pileups like the one that happend yesterday to close the highway.

The I-80 route through Wyoming frequently closes due to ground blizzard caused by the constant winds. It is closed from Rawlings to Cheyenne today in fact.

Wolf Creek pass, on the other hand, is a two-lane road that frequently closes during the snowy months due to the weather or avalanche danger. Avalanche danger is highest in the spring. Wolf Creek pass area is also one of the snowiest regions of Colorado. Much better bet to go the I-70 route.

EDIT: Just realized he was going through this weekend...probably had quite a bit of snow to deal with. :'(

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:13 pm 
I live here
I live here

70 car pile up on I-70 at Vail Pass.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military