It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scout camping help
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

We are leaving this Friday headed out to Union Park to camp. We will be stopping by Colorado Springs on the way. We plan on seeing Pikes Peak and the Air Force Acadamy. Someone was to see about camping at the Acadamy. We found out that will not happen. So, now I need to pick your guys brains on a free place to camp in the area. Our does someone have a contact at the Acadamy that could help? Is there National Forest area not far out of the city to set up camp? We will be there this coming Saturday the 7th. By the way, I had no input on making the plans. I'm just trying to bail them out now. Anyone?

I tried getting ahold of USAFCOP, never heard from him. Is he in the sandbox again? Can someone help a Kansas City Jeep Club guy out?

LOST Member #160
All J rear bumper
2" lift
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
OME shocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gold camp road west of colorado springs toward cripple creek there are alot of free camping spots along this route .I found agreat spot right on a creek around 12 miles west of town .Might be a little crowded on a weekend .

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:31 pm 
The whole area around Pikes Peak and to the north is all NF land. I'm unfamiliar with the area, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a spot, I've got maps and google earth. Where is Union Park (KS?) and when do you plan to get to the Springs? Perhaps Darryl and I could come down in the morning and scout out a spot and save it for you. How many people, tents and vehicles are you going to have. What type of vehicles, and how capable are they.

Eagle Scout myself, so willing to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Dawson, we will be camping at Union Park just South of Taylor Park Resevoir North of Gunnison. Looks like we will be heading in from that way since Cottonwood Pass probably won't be open. We will have about 30 people, about 2 to a tent. As for vehicles, 3 fifteen passenger vans and a 3/4 ton truck with a 16 foot box trailer. So the roads need to be easy. We will be driving in from Colby, Kansas(Western Kansas,spending the night there) on Saturday. Not sure of our arrival time. Will know after tonights meeting. We plan on touring the Air Force Acadamy and maybe Pikes Peak that day. Spending the night in the area and trying to make service at the Acadamy Chapel Sunday morning. Then heading out to Gunnison. I just talked with the Troup leader as I was typing this. He wants to try to stay as close to the Acadamy as possible and without having to set up tents. He's concerned with time. Are there any National Guard armories close to the Acadamy? Could you look for any phone numbers so we can call them? Or could you? If not, camping is the last thing he wants to do. I'm going to PM you my cell number. A BIG thanks for helping. Joe

LOST Member #160
All J rear bumper
2" lift
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
OME shocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:16 am 
Taking a quick look at the map, there are some roads that head west from I-25 into the National Forest to the north of the Academy. Honestly, finding free bunk housing for 30 is going to be next to impossible with five days notice. I am not familiar with any of the bases down there and wouldn't know where to start, that would be a Ted or Troy thing. About the only thing I can do is maybe call the National Forest and see if they would have any suggestions for sites big enough to accommodate your Troop and still be close to the Academy. If you grab a map, Rampart Range Road (starts just east of Woodland Park) runs north through the National Forest. It is a nice dirt road with plenty of off-shoots that we could probably find a spot on. But, it will take some time to break-down camp and get to the Academy, unless you left camp, went to service and returned to break-down. Yeah, it's getting complicated. I'll look for a National Forest contact today. In the mean time, maybe Ted or Troy could shed some light on the base possibility.

We'll keep this thread going for anyone who can help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 pm 
Still haven't had a chance to call the Ranger District. I'll do it on lunch tomorrow. But if they can't help, the best I can do is go down Saturday morning and look around for a place to camp. Maybe start researching and calling some of the other troops down that way, maybe one of them can get their meeting place to open their doors, or someone's big back yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Wouldn't the local council operate a Scout Camp?

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

They have two camps I believe, both are too far out of town. I have a call into the National Guard. But it looks like they are going to be out on drills this weekend. No one will be at the armory while we are there. We are sponsored by the Mid America Nazarene College here in Olathe. we are checking to see if they have any affiliations with a Nazarene church there. You guys have been a great help. THANK YOU!

LOST Member #160
All J rear bumper
2" lift
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
OME shocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:12 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Sorry so long out on this, and maybe too late, If you call (719)333-1110, that is the USAFA operator. Ask for public affairs, they will be the ones who will be able to let you know about the availability of the scout camp site ont the USAFA. There is a legal hold harmless agree ment that needs signed. Joe, Call Tricia (719)271-9248, she has been our Cub Scout Pack leader while I have been gone, she may have the specific phone number for you. Yes I am in the sandbox again... at least a few more months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Ted for the info. Glad to hear from ya!

LOST Member #160
All J rear bumper
2" lift
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
OME shocks