It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: By-Laws, lets go!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:29 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

OK gang, Tricia has volunteered to type for me...

I have had today off between doc appointments, and been looking.

I think the best thing for the Rockies is to have the LOST Rockies as the parent organization, and Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado as the sections/subchapters.

For Co I have been looking and am thinking we should get with the Colorado Asociation of 4wd Clubs http://www.hightrails.org.

So now bylaws, As I said, Tricia volunteered to type for me.
I have found another sample for by laws http://www.hightrails.org/forms/sample_bylaws.html And then the Lost West Bylaws some of us already looked at http://lostkjwest.com/lostbylaws.doc

Please look at both, and we can butcher cut and paste etc... to make our own.

Please if you can, download them and use one, say the WEST one as the fram, and then add/subtract/paste etc in red, then E-mail me your suggestions. I will do the same. We will give this until 1 December2005, then Tricia and I will try to compile all suggestions and I will put them up on here or we can get some more help as a group and make 3 or 4 then vote on what we want. At least it is a start. If you all have a better idea to post the findings of all the edits, please let me know.

Got to go to my next pre op appointment,
Later,
Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just don't put in there that you have to wheel a KJ. Just that you own one! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:33 pm 
I live here
I live here

Actually, requirement will be to drive your KJ with pink wheels.

Hahaha!

Don't worry. We won't be exclusive to only off-roaders.....and probably not to just KJ owners, but probably at least a Jeep owner......maybe.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:41 pm 

Ted, thanks for doing all the research. I don't have time to look at it in depth right now. Mom just got out of the hospital and I'm helping her out for a week here. When I get back into town I'll take a looksy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:05 am 

hey gang, any inputs are welcome...

David, I will bring some hot pink spray paint for your wheels on the next trip since we know now.

As for vehicles, all I care is that members want to represent responsible offroading following tread lightly principles.

I also would like to have part of the dues pay for membership to the blue ribbon coalition and/or the national 4wd association

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

read thru the by-laws a bit today, I'll think about them and give any suggestions soon.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:18 pm 

Ok gang, I have not recieved any edits for by laws yet....

Also talked to Pres of COA4wdC today at Toys for Tots run...

If we want to get in with this group we need to do the incorporation paperwork with the State first. Also we need to know who our actual members are going to be ($20 a head for Association entry dues)

Seems like a large group with huge hearts... Today was Awesome!!!! We filled 1 and a half 7 ton Marine trucks with toys!!!! Also lots of fabricators in the association sponsorship too.

So I need inputs

Do you want me to run the incorporation paperwork?

If this is a go and is done, the next asociation meeting will be in the springs on the 3rd Sat of January. If we have the paperwork done, and bylaws and membership established, then they could vote us into the association at that meeting.

Joel, they recomend 2 members as reps at each meeting (once a quarter) We can go to represent the Rockies group even if we are not members af the association... We can show interest, feel them out, aand they can know who we are when they vote to let us in. Only thing Rockies will not have is a vote. Do you want to go to the meeting with me to represent us? I would like more than just 2 of us to go if possible, but 2 minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like the idea and would do it if funds weren't tight right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:26 pm 
I live here
I live here

Where do they hold the meetings? Count me in.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:37 am 

Just lemme know and I'll be there. Sounds like between the 3 of us we should be able to come up with at least 2. Sorry I haven't been more involved the last couple weeks. I've been super busy and out of town a lot. Definitely count me in for getting this thing off the ground though. I'll help however I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:43 pm 

Here is a link to the Ca4wdCl Meeting in January
http://hightrails.org/cgi-bin/calendar.pl?month=1&year=2006&view=Event&event_id=27

If you wish to go, there is an e-mail to RSVP with, or I could send one e-mail with all of our names...Maybe a show that we are serious even if we are LOST.

Either way, let me know if you plan to attend... Also do we want to do the incorporation paperwork?

This is what is explained from the Association web site www.hightrails.org:
Quote:
From the very first your club should strongly consider legally incorporating under the laws of your state. One reason is that all clubs in the CoA4WDCi are required to incorporate. Another reason is that any incorporated club or association formed for the purposes of social or recreational activities, even though non profit in character, is considered in the eyes of the law as a partnership wherein each member has unlimited liability for the actions of the organization.

A corporation, on the other hand, is considered by law as an individual or unity having rights and liabilities distinct from those of the persons composing it. In addition, as a non profit corporation, the club can claim exemption from state and federal taxes and should apply to the Internal Revenue Service for an official exempt status. Therefore, the advantages to an organized group, such as a 4WD club, in becoming incorporated is that it affords protection for each member from a financial and legal standpoint.
Contact the Colorado Secretary of State (1560 Broadway, Suite 200, Denver, (303)894-2251) for the necessary paperwork.

I have not called the Co Sec State yet. If we want to lets get it goinig. After talking to Shelly and Janice (From the Association) The incorporation by the state is a lot of hoop jumping and by far the hardest part. No club has been denied membership to the association yet.

Maybe someone up in Denver could go by the office and get us more information on this??? Please???

If we want any work done on this this week, I need someone to step up and work it. I have to run Night fire and pre deployment spin ups all week, so I am looking at 14hr days all week, to say the least, I will be busy at work.

Thanks,
Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:35 pm 

Quote:
any incorporated club or association formed for the purposes of social or recreational activities, even though non profit in character, is considered in the eyes of the law as a partnership wherein each member has unlimited liability for the actions of the organization.

So why on earth do they want you to incorporate then??!!??!! Hopefully I'm reading that wrong. If not, then I want no part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:09 am 

that is a typo, the second paragraph gives the benefits of no personal liability for club functions

Truthfully, that is also why I asked for one of you who live/work in Denver to stop by for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had been in coordination with USAFCOP a while back about this whole issue. I have a great deal of experience with the legality and filing issues that are involved in starting this type of club. I have been an acting officer for a sportsman club for quite some time (president and secretary mainly) here in Illinois. If any specific help is needed or if you all have any questions just let me know. I could even send a copy of our club's by laws if you would like. I could do your incorporation papers as well if you would like. You can do it online it seems at http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/FileDoc.do

You need at least three officers before filing for incorporation status and an acting agent. I would need all the individuals names and contact info. There is a fee usually for registering but the web site doesn't seem to say what that fee is. My guess would be you complete the form online and the agent gets a mailing of some kind to verify everything and pay the fee.

As far as joining the Colorado 4WD club, I offer the following input.

It looks as if LOST Rockies must be fully established before even attending a meeting with the CO club. They require officers and incorporation status to even apply. I would suggest you elect officers soon and put the joining of the CO parent club to a vote. They charge by rig so you would have to rely on your club's dues to pay for that fee of (($20 x # of rigs) + $10). If you club ends up having 25 members that is $510! http://www.hightrails.org/forms/club_app.html shows the application.

I would say wait until the second quarter meeting with the CO club to be sure you have all of your own club's issues resolved. You do not want to push a few people so hard they are working full time to get the club up and running. You could wait and join the CO club second quarter. There isn't much wheeling going on in the winter anyways I would think.

BTW.....I should be rolling into Larkspur on 1/5/06 so if you want to arrange any meetings to go over this stuff we can do it anytime after that week.

Flowmaster 40 Series
2.5 Lift
1000 watt Kenwood DB+
Electric Trailer Brake Controller
Lost KJ Rockies sticker
More to come...of course
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2342890

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:03 pm 
I live here
I live here

What is our reason to join the CO Off-road club? Aren't we trying to be our own club? Besides, that club is only for Colorado. We have our bretheren in NM and UT.

Would it work to make three groups:

LOST Rockies is a Regional Club with a---

LOST Rockies: CO Chapter
LOST Rockies: UT Chapter
LOST Rockies: NM Chapter

Similar to Mile High Jeep Club

http://www.mhjc.org/patrols/index.htm

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 pm 

It is not "necesary" to join the CO Association. If as members we decide we do not want to that is fine.

The only reason I brought it up was for connections with sponsor businesses, dept of resources(forrest service) and for fundraising help (like the Toys for Tots Run last week)

Clint may be able to give more insight as the West guys are affiliated with a similar group in California.

Yes we can not join the CO Association w/o being fully set up ourselves. After talking to the people in charge, we can go to meetings to feel them out/them feel us out, but we can not vote. We can participate and voice opinions, just no vote to make opinions count.

When we all meet up next weekend, we can discuss this and even vote on it if you all want to.

As for the rest of the states, that is what we are looking at doing for the LOST. As David said, Lost Rockies would be the parent and each state a chapter.

Now we can still do this on our own with the parent LOST to back us (yes some people in the bussiness have noticed us... or been forced to notice us) Like I said, if we do not want to all we have to do is collectively say no. If it seems I am pushing this, I am sorry. The only thing I am trying to push is LOST Rockies to get going.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good call USAFCOP. I would suggest "feeling out" the CO group and letting the members vote later on. PM me if you want any help with the paperwork I suggested earlier.

Flowmaster 40 Series
2.5 Lift
1000 watt Kenwood DB+
Electric Trailer Brake Controller
Lost KJ Rockies sticker
More to come...of course
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2342890