It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clevis Bushing?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:36 pm 

Okay, installed new upper A-arms and that took care of most of the noise I was having up front. But I'm still having some noise out of the front passenger side. Does anybody know what the symptoms of a bad clevis bushing would be? Ted, I know you do...

Here's what I have going on...over major bumps (curbs) and dips in the road...no sounds at all. However, small imperfections in the road create some light knocking...man hole, seams between cement, etc. My first thought would be the sway bar, but I removed the noisy discos and everything looks tight. Any ideas on how to further diagnose this one? I have 70k on the clock so I'm thinking the clevis bushing, but not sure how to check.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, its been a busy week working on the KJ. I also replaced fluids in both diffs, txfr case, and transmission. Machined rotors / installed new pads and dropped in a new battery....I'm pretty excited to have the KJ back in top form and should be ready to rock for next season! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

Sounds exactly what mine did when the steering rack developed the same noise. It could be duplicated parked and turning the steering wheel side to side just a little bit. It was where the rack and pinion came together on the drivers side. New rack....no noise. I certainly hope that is not it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:57 pm 
Sounds like you just need to keep it OFF ROAD!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:37 pm 

You're probably right...the closest she got to "off road" this summer was a dirt road leading to a car camping spot. She's probably just mad at me and needs a nice flexing along with some mud slinging. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 am 
LOST Addict

if the upper shock mounts aren't seated right or not tight enough they can make that noise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:18 pm 

Like the top strut plate? I made sure those were good and tight when I installed the upper a-arms. Could be a strut going bad I guess, but the ride isn't suffering as of yet. Oh well, its a Jeep...they make noise. Until something falls off I'm just going to ignore it. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:48 am 
As they say, "Ignorance is Bliss!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:29 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

I would go with the steering rack being loose. My front end makes noise if it even sees a crack in the driveway... If the clevis bushings were bad you would see them pushed out on one side or the other, and the clevis fork would be touching the metal on the lower arm.