It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marble/Crested Butte Area Questions...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm making our annual High Altitude Expedition to Ouray/Silverton the first week in September. Instead of staying in Ouray as in years past (the rooms are getting way too expensive) we're staying in Montrose this time around.

Since we're staying in Montrose, I wanted to run up to Marble and check out the Mill on Crystal River. While up in that area for the day, I want to do some trails between Marble and Crested Butte on the way back to Montrose. Specifically:

- Wells #19 Devil's Punchbowl (D)
- Wells #20 Paradise Divide (E)

My questions:

- How difficult is the Devil's Punchbowl trail past the Mill and the cutoff for Wells #18, Lead King Basin, going to Schofield Pass? Wells rates it as difficult. How does it compare to Black Bear which I've driven a few times?

- Once at Schofield Pass and going south to Crested Butte, which is the more scenic route... the left fork taking Slate River Road, or the right fork on Gothic Road?

- What about taking FS 811 (Washington Gulch Road) which goes down the middle to reach Crested Butte over the two routes I mentioned above?

Oh, I'll be driving a stock height JK with OEM skids, 32" BFG M/T tires and OEM Rubicon rock rails.

Thanks for your inputs and opinions....

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 am 
LOST Addict

What, none of the LOST Rockies crowd knows anything about the trails in the Marble/Crested Butte area??

It's an AZ LOST JEEPS thing....
other folks don't understand!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

My wife and I haven't run Crystal/Schofield in about 15 years, so our information is not up to date.

We were up there scouting the trails last weekend though, because we are planning on running them next month.

We initially tried Schofield (#317) from Crested Butte, but it was closed about 5 miles up. It was a temporary barricade, so may have just been due to snow, or the water crossing was too deep. It was raining at the time. We then took Kebler Pass to Paonia and then to Marble. It was already about 7:00 PM so we only scouted both Crystal River (#314) and Lead King Basin (#315) for about 1/2 mile each. Both looked fine and appeared to be open. You can take these as a loop if Schofield is still closed.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Renegade Lightbar, Jeep rack w/Hi-Lift, shovel and axe, Franken/jacker coil lift, LT245/75R16E BFG M/T TA's, All J & RRO skids and bars, all factory skids, FlowMaster 50, front DrawTite hitch w/Mile Marker winch, on-board air, JBA 4.5's, etc, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
I live here
I live here

Holy Mackerel Westy! It's about time ya said something on here. It's been what, a few years? Welcome back.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks TokyoJoe.

Yea, time flies when your having fun. lol. :?

Renegade Lightbar, Jeep rack w/Hi-Lift, shovel and axe, Franken/jacker coil lift, LT245/75R16E BFG M/T TA's, All J & RRO skids and bars, all factory skids, FlowMaster 50, front DrawTite hitch w/Mile Marker winch, on-board air, JBA 4.5's, etc, etc.