It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Made my decision. input help wanted
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ive decided to do a straight axle conversion on my liberty with 36 inch tires any tech advice would be appreciated. The modification wont happen until I get back from my upcoming deployment so I am just getting everything figured out so I can get it done when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:57 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Unless you want to re-invent the wheel, you may want to see what RL has done when you get back... Looking at it, with full width axles, I should have gotten 36's instead of 35's... Marty wants to shove 37's under them... I think that would be pushing it unless you get taller springs and lengthen the arms, but there is plenty of adjustment for that the way the kit is set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:04 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

With the setup Troy and Ted will have, easily enough room for 37's without adding more lift, it's a matter of the strength of the axles. Troys could handle 37's with the parts he used made out of unobtanium :twisted: and his driving style. Ted's can handle 37's too if he goes with something light like an old style MT/R.

My axle setup is a little bit beefier than Troy and Ted's, and will be able to run 40's easily if I wanted to, but I think some 38" MT/R Kevlars are in my future.

If you save your pennies from your deployment, depending on length of tour, you "should" have plenty for a setup like Ted's. You aren't married are you? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

no im not married just a serious girlfriend, but about the suspension i was going to do a custom 4 link long arm and fender cutting. If I have the money i want to get rock jock 60s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

crazylibertyguy07 wrote:
no im not married just a serious girlfriend, but about the suspension i was going to do a custom 4 link long arm and fender cutting. If I have the money i want to get rock jock 60s.
The rear RJ60 that has the cast steel center section,ARB,35 spline axles,and Wilwood disc brakes will run about $4000(what I have),the matching front will be about $8000(already priced one out :evil: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok thanks much i appriciate it now how much time does it take to do the swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

The time it takes depends on how much time you put into it. I know troy and marty have been working on the swap i think during weekends. not too sure. But most see roughly a month to two months down time.

As SFA build that we start this Saturday on my GF's liberty will take about two months.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

all right thanks now if i go a cheaper route my dad has a 14 bolt front drop out style and 10 bolt font and from my experinces that is a good set up and he would give them to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 pm 
LOST Addict

There are a couple of ways of doing the SFA route.
1. Do junkyard axles and rebuild them-(cheaper)-might need to replace the Tcase
2. Do just a front axle that matches the width of the Rear-(cheapest)wont have to replace the tcase
3. Buy nice brand new axles front and Rear.(expensive)-be replacing everything ha ha.

those are the build types.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

crazylibertyguy07 wrote:
all right thanks now if i go a cheaper route my dad has a 14 bolt front drop out style and 10 bolt font and from my experinces that is a good set up and he would give them to me.
That setup would be from a Chevy and the front axle will not work since it will be a passenger side drop axle(pumpkin on the passenger side) and the KJ needs a drivers side drop front axle.Also the 14 bolt is a very strong and rather cheap axle to build but the weight and size makes it a non-desirable axle unless you plan on running 40"+ tires.

I'm running a mid '70's Ford HP44 front diff,with all the goodies it can handle 37" tires with ease and it's a HP axle and a full width axle,not real cheap to get some beef from it though,I have about $5000 in my HP44.The 10bolt front axle is the slightly weaker Chevy version of the D44 front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 am 
LOST Newbie

i didnt even think about the side the pumpkin needs to be on thanks, and a family friend of ours owns a junk yard here that has mainly trucks suvs and jeeps so i think im going to see what he has laying around. Thanks everyone.