It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lift Help in Provo, UT
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:40 pm 
LOST Member

I originally posted this in the main section, but it was recommended that I move this here. I would love to go on the ride on the 21st, but would like to get my lift installed first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
I recently purchased the Rusty's 2.5" spacer lift (it was the best I could afford). I was planning on installing it myself with the help of my friend who has installed a few lifts on other Jeeps.

My friend has not been able to help as I had hoped for, and now I am looking for a good place to have it put on. I would do it myself (I have most of the tools) but I am not very good with suspensions and I don't know what to do with strut compression.

If anybody has any reccomendations of where I can take it to have it done at a reasonable price, I would appreciate it. I am located in Provo, so anything in UT county would be great. Or if anybody has any suggestions or help that they can offer so that I can do it myself, I would be more than greatful.

I hate having a lift in a box in the back of my KJ knowing that I can actually have it on. I am really anxious to get this done so I can go on trail rides with the rest of you.

Thanks in adavance.

- BVG Adventure Roof Rack
- More to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

paste my same response in the other thread :lol:

Hey, yeah we can help you. Troy has a lot of nice tools he might let us use his garage for a day???
-

Let me give you some advice though. Before we install send that kit back asap and get a full refund. Then drive up to Park City and buy the Rocky Road Offroad COMBO kit.

It's the same price but a much better kit. IF you bought the rusty ott kit used, well then we'll just live with it.

BTW I have some 245/70/16 BFG AT tires i am selling if you want some bigger rubber under there (cheap $250 for all 4 plus a spare less than 5k mi on em).

Check out the Rockies forum. We are planning a run the 21st.

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:57 pm 
LOST Member

That would be very nice rather than taking it to a shop. I have a place to work on it in Orem that we I free to use if we needed it.

As far as the kit goes, I think that's all I can do. The kit was a gift and returning it would be a huge headache if it is even possible at all.

EDIT: Also, I just might be interested in the tires. We'll be in touch after I talk with the boss :)

- More to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK. This sat I have to work, and next we are going to do some trails rides, but after that I can lend a hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have to watch the kids this weekend, but I'd be happy to help after the run on the 21st. Sorry I can't help before.

(To be honest, I don't know how much help I'll really be...but I can at least provide moral support. :) )

Do you have access to a strut compressor?

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:57 am 
LOST Member

I don't personally have access to a strut compressor, but I could rent one from Checker or some other auto parts store.

If everyone is really so willing to help, I would be more than happy to provide pizza and drinks for everybody. It sounds like everyone is busy until after the run, so let me see what I can do before then, and I will let you guys know if I can get myself lifted (since I would love to go on the run w/ a lift).

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

- More to come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:17 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I worked hard on my lift yesterday so I could hopefully have it done in time for the trail ride on the 21st, but had no luck. It seems like everything went wrong. The Jeep is ok though and I am driving it today.

I got to the point where I needed to compress the driver's side strut and the compressor I had would not fit in between the spirngs. It got to the point where I had to undo all that I had already done that afternoon just to start over another day. How depressing.

If anybody truly is willing to help, I can work around others' schedules. I know that people have mentioned that possibly the 28th would work for them, if so, let me know.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help. See you all on the 21st for the ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ok yeah, the 28th would probably work. You will need a spring compresser which you can get from autozone as a rented unit.. you put down a deposit and when you bring it back they refund you the $, which means it's free!

If you got that far you might be able to go all the way just need the right tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:38 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah it was really frustrating to get all the way there and then run into that problem. It just killed me when I found that the spring hooks could not fit between the dang springs.

Oh well, start all over. I don't know if anyone else is planning on coming or not, but we can nail down a time and place later...maybe on Saturday at the Meet'n Greet.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I did mine, we used my buddy's spring compressor, and we had to pound it in and out of the springs with a sledge hammer. I don't know if you'd have to do the same thing with the one from AutoZone.

Also, the springs on newer KJs ("lowered") aren't as stiff as pre-lowered...so maybe if you get a good compressor you won't have to use the sledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:02 am 
LOST Member

Pounding the hooks in seems like it might work...I tried using a pry bar to open them up enough, but they still wouldn't fit in. Maybe if I combined the two ideas. What a pain in the butt to get those dang springs compressed.

- More to come!