It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi New to the KJ
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi All from Colorado Springs I have been looking around the forum and like what I see.
just got a 02 sport and the 2.5 lift is in the mail.
So far all I have read has been true so keep up the good work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:08 pm 

Welcome! Glad you got LOST. If you want some help with the lift we can probably put together a "wrench-a-thon." I have some new control arms in the mail that also need to be installed.

Ted, are you game? David? Anybody else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:47 pm 
I live here
I live here

I'm up for a Lift party.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:52 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Just name the place and time in advance so I can plan it and I will be there with the tools of the trade!

Oh and Farleyd, Welcome to the LOST group...

I have been LOST from the beginning when we left JU, and you won't find a better group/resource for your KJ wheeling needs!!! Welcome to the "club" can we call it that now? :wink:

Also if you want some used 255/70 bfg At's, I have a set of 5 sitting in the garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:31 pm 

Yeah, and I have a set of 245/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller Revos / wheels for sale as well.

You guys are all welcome to come here (keeps the drive a little shorter for Dave) or I'll come down to the Springs. It makes no difference to me. By the way, the 28th or 29th works well. I definitely can't do anything next weekend as the in laws are in town. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:36 pm 
I live here
I live here

Sorry...that is the front range military Snowfest event. All weekend long at Keystone.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:38 pm 

What do you have going the following weekend?

Post subject: Thanks for the offers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys Let Me get the parts in hand and we can talk then.
As for the 255 BFG AT's I would like to know more?Will my stock wheels work or will I need spacers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:31 pm 

no you will not need spacers, I have them mounted on the stock steel wheels still, they rubbed a little at full lock on the swaybar . They are about 60% tread and the spare is 70-75% tread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:26 pm 
I live here
I live here

I have Air National Guard training the first weekend of February, but don't let that stop everyone.

Actually, I will be snowboarding on Friday and coming back that night to play some Texas Hold `em in Castle Rock (friend invited me last night during the playoff game). At my age, a day of falling hard on the slopes means a day of rest in between so I can skip Saturday and head back up on Sunday. If I was good, I wouldn't be hurting so much because I wouldn't fall all of the time and then I could do multiple days in a row. I hurt a bunch right now from Saturday's snowboarding.

Go ahead and plan for Saturday 28 Jan.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:08 pm 

I'm all set to go for Saturday the 28th. My buddy Chet will be helping me out. We're getting started around 11:30 am for those that would like to lend a hand or just watch. We'll be in my garage (with a heater) so don't let cold weather scare you off. The A-arms really shouldn't take very long so if anybody has other work they'd like to do this would be a good time...plenty of tools and know how will be available.

Post subject: The 28th is good
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

The 28th works for me. you can E-mail me how to get there.By the way My name is Don. I can bring some jack stands if needed.

Post subject: Re: The 28th is good
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:23 pm 

farleyd wrote:
The 28th works for me. you can E-mail me how to get there.By the way My name is Don. I can bring some jack stands if needed.

Don are you going to have the lift by then? We may want to pick a day when we can get started a little earlier. When I first wrote that post I was thinking more along the lines of a 9:00am start time. Then I learned that Chet can't make it until close to noon and I edited the post. The later start time might leave us short on day light for a lift install.

If Ted (USAFCOP) is able to arrive earlier in the morning then I'm still up for it. I just want to make sure we have at least one experienced mechanic in the bunch (and I'm not there yet). Ted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:21 am 

Well, so far the 28th in the AM sounds good... looks like the 27th may be a down day too, so I can do school work and maybe squeeze in by-law work on that Friday.

Don, what lift did you order? it could take a while to do it if we need to disassemble and assemble struts it can be a PIA!! Also, depends on the overall condition of your Jeep and its fasteners/bolts/under carriage.

I have a spring compressor, but it is still a pain to assemble and align the clevis notch.
As for your arms Joel, they are an easy 45 min max job. Hardest part is just getting to the nuts and bolts in the engine bay.

Joel, do you have an air compressor? what tools do you not have? I have a manual for the '02 and other tools I can bring.
I am also up for an earlier start of say 8:30/9:00 but not earlier, it is a 30 min drive for me... yes I drive the speed limit :roll:

I will keep track of this to see how it turns out and see about updates.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:33 am 
I live here
I live here

9am will work for me. Please PM Directions to me also.

Ted, as far as I know (for Buckley at least), you either work or go to the Snowfest event. Each base could be different though.

Let me know what tools are needed that you guys don't have and I'll see if I have it.

If taking the struts to a shop will be faster and willing to spend the money, then that might be a good choice to save time and safer. Up to you Don.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:39 am 
LOST Newbie

the lift I have is a rock father OTT so no spring compresor needed. Should be here this week. Is there any chance I will need other hardwear then comes with the kit? The rig is 4yrs old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:22 am 

Quote:
Joel, do you have an air compressor? what tools do you not have? I have a manual for the '02 and other tools I can bring.

I do NOT HAVE a compressor or air tools (that's why Chet was coming to help), spring compressor, ball joint seperator.

I DO HAVE:
heavy duty jack and two jack stands
ramps
Tons of sockets (metric & standard, standard depth & deep well) - everything we'd need
Wrenches - two torque wrenches 1/2 and 3/8, multiple sizes in both 3/8 and 1/2 drive rachets, all kinds of standard wrenches, breaker bar, etc.

So we're pretty well set for the standard tools (wrenches, sockets, etc), but some of the more specialized stuff we'd still need.

Ted, I'll probably tell Chet we don't need his services if you have the air tools and what not. There is a NAPA 5 minutes away if we need someone else to assemble the struts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:44 am 

farleyd wrote:
the lift I have is a rock father OTT so no spring compresor needed. Should be here this week. Is there any chance I will need other hardwear then comes with the kit? The rig is 4yrs old.

Are you absolutely SURE you want to install this particular lift? It is widely known to have some problems...mostly it eats struts for breakfast. RRO's combo lift is a much better choice IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:11 pm 

I can bring air tools and my special tools.

I have never seen this kit Don, so if you want to use it, can you scan the instructions as a PDF or Word doc and post them or PM them to me? That way I will know exactly how to proceed. I assume I know what it needs if it is just an ott, but I will say, if all the lift is above the strut&spring assembly, then you are looking for trouble and accelerated wear of struts. A combo kit that puts a top plate and internal puc is much better. If you do not understand, I can bring my home brew kit with me and show you.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:04 am 
LOST Junkie

I want to be around for this. Joel, I live in Red Hawk; used to have a girlfriend in The Meadows.