It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Late July/Early August Vacation & Wheelin' Trip in Colorado
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:38 pm 
LOST Member

Hello to all fellow Colorado L.O.S.T. members! Me and the wife are planning a trip out that way for the end of July thru the beginning of August. I'm not new to the state, and usually hang out in the Ouray/Silverton area when I go and know it well, but has gotten a bit old, as it would be the 6th time in 10yrs I've been there for vacation. This time around we are looking for some different choices that might not be so crowded. Any ideas? Anyone willing to meet up with us while we're out there?

Post subject: Re: Late July/Early August Vacation & Wheelin' Trip in Color
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Good luck with that. I am putting a trip together for mid-July to that area.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:42 pm 

You want something less crowded in July - August? That's tough in Colorado. My advice...stay off I-70 and out of Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park if you want to get away from the tourists. Look for stuff along Hwy 285 maybe...we like camping in the Lost Creek Wilderness. There is literally NOTHING out there but some good scenery and solitude. You can go days without seeing another person if you do a little hiking or Jeeping, but there are no services. Or go north to Steamboat Springs...some great dude ranches there.

Let us know what type of activities/services you want to have available and maybe we can be more specific. Hotel? Car Camping? Backpacking? Day Hikes? White water rafting? Horseback Riding? Hot Springs?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:44 pm 
LOST Addict

What dates you looking at?

If I'm not working I can show you some of the areas around Durango and I know the trails up by Leadville pretty well also.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:45 pm 

I was thinking Leadville too...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

If i am around still, I will meet up with you, and me and my girl will take are rubicon, and the newly done SFA crd, and take you guys everywhere.

4'' RK LA, 35's KM2's, Warn front bumper, Warn rear bumper with tire swing, Warn gas skid, Nth oil skid, 4.88's, Alloy axles shafts F&R, Rokmen Corner armor with led's, and Rokmen sliders, custom back-up lights from gen-right, piaa 510's, IPF green glow fatboy's up front.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:31 am 
LOST Member

Definately Durangotang, and Jeepbum!!! Looking to do a bit of day hiking/light backpacking, fishing, and fourwheeling. Prefer to stay out of hotels, so plan to mostly camp. I've done just about every trail thats legal to run in the Silverton/Ouray/Telluride areas. Would just like to explore more of the "lesser known/less traveled" areas of the state. I did Blanca a few years ago right up to Jaws2 then had to turn around cause I was alone, and the fear of dropping off that cliff on Jaws2 kept me from going any further. Been up to the Grand Mesa several times but never to the Battlement Mesa side. Heck, for mine and my wifes honeymoon, we drove all around the state just doing the tourist thing. So yeh, I have a bit of a love affair for Colorado!!!

durangotang wrote:
What dates you looking at?

If I'm not working I can show you some of the areas around Durango and I know the trails up by Leadville pretty well also.

Most likely.......July, 26th thru Aug, 5

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 pm 
LOST Addict

Awful far drive out west to stop a few hours short of MOAB where adventure begins.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:13 pm 
LOST Member

JL Rockies wrote:
Awful far drive out west to stop a few hours short of MOAB where adventure begins.

Uhhhh, not the place I wanna be in the dead of summer. Dry 100*+ daytime temps in the desert are not my idea of relief from humid 95* southern summer weather. Besides, I was there back in spring of 2004, so its not on my must do list anymore.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:24 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Well, we got snow again last night so many trails might not even be open by late July. Most of the trails around Leadville can be had with a 2 wheel drive. Great scenery though.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

Seriously considering the Buena Vista area when we go. Think the CRD can make it thru Chinaman Gulch? Would love to try, but dont wanna get in over my head so far from home. Even though I will be carrying spare parts with me.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:18 pm 

With your mods, you shouldn't have any trouble. There is one pretty big step up and some big (huge) rocks to go around. The club here runs it all the time with no trouble in CJ's. The 4 mile area, which is where this is is a good lower altitude area. It is at 8000' and is snow free right now. On the north side of hwy 285 is another area, Nothing hard, but fun to do. Much can be done in 2 wheel drive, but there is water crossings, and obstacles. Great places to camp. Watch out for Puma. They are everwhere. Keep your dogs close if you have any. Watch for crazy dirt bikers.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:25 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbC4s3icfU

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:28 pm 

2mopar_diesels wrote:
Seriously considering the Buena Vista area when we go. Think the CRD can make it thru Chinaman Gulch? Would love to try, but dont wanna get in over my head so far from home. Even though I will be carrying spare parts with me.

Lots of the LOST Rockies guys have run that trail (myself included) several times with virtually the same setup as you. There are some side obstacles (the steps) to avoid, but they are not necessary obstacles to complete the trail. There are some very tight spots that can't be avoided and you'll want a good spotter with you. Would not recommend running this trail alone...unless you dig body damage. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 pm 

There are easier lies than on the video. Those guys took the hardest routes.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:43 pm 

BVCRD wrote:
There are easier lies than on the video.

Not if you are with Ted. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:55 pm 

Skyjump136 wrote:
BVCRD wrote:
There are easier lies than on the video.

Not if you are with Ted. :twisted:

That may be true. I went with a local guy here and he was in his daily driver. I once went down TinCup Pass from the east, and the last 1/4 mile before the lake crossing was in white water. It was spring run off, and you couldn't even see boulders. It was like I was in a raft shooting the rapids. I believe I was hydroplaning down the 50 degree slope. :dizzy:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:03 pm 

Yowsa! That sounds fun/scary!

Ted likes to take tough lines. Ted also likes it when other people take tough lines. DO NOT let Ted spot for you unless you are looking for a challenge. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, its settled then! Buena Vista it is! Now, who wants to tag along and be my guide and spotter?...........This Ted fellow sounds like a perfect candidate!.....LOL!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:11 am 

I'll definitely try to make it. I need to get out that direction. :JEEPIN:

BTW, Ted = USAFCOP aka "El Presidente" Lost Rockies