It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Liberty Owner here in Boulder, CO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All,

I just bought this Liberty this weekend, so now I'm ready to hit some trails in the area. Any good advice for some moderately easy trails in the area? We just moved to Boulder a month ago so I'm fairly familiar with the town itself but not the surrounding area.

Thanks,

Bryan[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:38 pm 
I live here
I live here

HEY! Welcome! For a minute there, I thought you had just bought one of our former members (broncsrule) KJ but his is a Reny and had a gold colored shackle.

You should see about taking some vacation days and going to Moab with the National LOST event in late April. At least for a 3-day weekend since you live so close (5.5 hr drive).

Four ways to learn about trails around here:

1. Get the books
a. Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Vol 1 2nd
Edition
b. Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails Vol 2 (still only
1st edition)

2. Trail.net http://www.4x4trails.net/

3. TrailDamage.com http://www.traildamage.com/

4. Going on group runs with us, LOST Rockies

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! I'll check out those sites and see about getting the book.

I'd love to make it to Moab this year, but I think I'll wait another year. Since I've only been here a month it's a bit early to start taking vacation time, let alone do some heavy wheeling in a truck I'm not familiar with. Yet.

Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:58 pm 
I live here
I live here

Moab was my very first time ever, off-roading and I only had my KJ for 7 months at the time (very little driving due to knee surgery). I learned so much about the KJ, at Moab, that I am spoiled and think most trails are easy now. LOL!

We will be doing easy trails at Moab also. Leave after work Friday and do a good trail on Saturday, then do a quick trail on Sunday and head home.

If not, we look forward to hitting the trails with you after Moab.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:42 am 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Unfortunately, there are a few others of us that won't be making it to Moab this year either. We normally 'wheel about once a month so keep an eye on this site for the next run.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 am 
LOST Newbie

I definitely keep an eye on this forum from here on out. Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Very cool to see another on the front range, im in Longmont over the summe rwhen im not in college, you're lucky to be in boulder because the foothill are right out your back door, there are many trails just off of Lefthand Canyon and the Peak-to-Peak Highway, i have done the first half of lefthand canyon trail stock, just stay out of the ruts made by the huge 37s and you should be okay, and the other places you could try are Lefthand Reservoir outside of Jamestown...i'd like to get a group of KJ's and go up there this summer, very easy trail and then you can eat lunch by the lake or play on the "playground" area just below the Reservoir, very cool place see

Tint
Rusty's 2.5" Suspension
245/75/16 BFG AT KO's
16x8 Big Hoss XD Series Rims
Limited Edition Wheel Cover
Coleman Roof Rack
3-D cell maglite and mount
Mopar Cross Rails
Ebay seat covers with jeep embroidery.
K&N air filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Those are some nice pictures!

I actually went up the first part of Lefthand Canyon last night, after having the Jeep in my possession for less than two hours! Pretty fun little place, I wouldn't want to go to deep without having someone else along though, looked like some pretty hairy stuff.

Now to start buying stuff for her....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:28 pm 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

Welcome to the Rockies!!! Best Wheeling this side of MOAB so I am told and will confirm later this month!!!!

A lot is going on for the 2 of us prepping for MOAB, so I know we want to go wheeling, but aint gonna happen for me at least, Jeep is tore up :wink:

As has already been said, we usually wheel at least once a month, and by-laws are still being written, so you will get to help form an "official" Chapter if you want. Also if you feel like traveling south, I know Rock Lizard and I will be wheeling more often than once a month, may even turn into fishing trips with the little ones too.

Well welcome again!!! Oh yea, what's the first mod gonna be? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:31 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

USAFCOP wrote:
Also if you feel like traveling south, I know Rock Lizard and I will be wheeling more often than once a month, may even turn into fishing trips with the little ones too.

Ted, when you plan to do these trips, don't forget to give me a call. Jen loves to fish and I tolerate it especially if I have to wheel to get there. :wink:

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:39 pm 
I live here
I live here

Me three........I don't fish either. Just let me take the trail to anywhere.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm not much for fishing, but I'll go for the wheeling as well!

It's looking like getting a LoadWarrior rack with the attachment for my Hi-Lift will be the first thing I'll be doing to it. I lucked out in finding a KJ with decent tires and a lift already. Next I'm think a K&N intake setup and my obsession with lighting will find a way in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:02 pm 
I live here
I live here

Is the K&N good for fun water crossings?

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:21 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

Tokyojoe wrote:
Is the K&N good for fun water crossings?

From what I've seen and from what I've heard, the K&N is great for mild off-roading and for on-road. If you plan on doing any water crossings that may include any water entering the engine compartment, then the K&N is a bad idea. It will suck up any water that enters the right side of the engine compartment. Since the air box is removed for this install, the water now has only one place to go ... into the engine. That is unless the filter clogs first causing the engine to starve for air and stalling. If it does that, then you have to wait until it dries out enough for you to be able to start your KJ again. IIRC, about 9 months ago, there was also talk on here about the K&N filters not filtering as much dust out of the intake air. I don't know much about that though so I figure I'll just stick with a quality drop-in filter for the time being.

OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've had a K&N on all my other trucks and never had any problems. Although my idea of water crossings probably isn't as extreme as some people's. I figure if I want a rig that can really go through water I'll fabricate a snorkel, otherwise it's a pretty good idea to keep in mind that water can always find a way into the engine if you go in deep enough. From what I can tell the bottom of the K&N would be maybe 3-4 inches lower than the current intake slot anyway, not that much of a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:46 am 
I live here
I live here

We do some fun water crossings and water gets up over the hood during splash down.....or up near the middle of the door..

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:36 am 

I use the K&N drop in filter. The stock airbox does good at draining water. Flooded the tranny, not the engine :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

i use a drop filter like USAFCOP, nothing spectacular but you do notice it breathing better on the highway

Tint
Rusty's 2.5" Suspension
245/75/16 BFG AT KO's
16x8 Big Hoss XD Series Rims
Limited Edition Wheel Cover
Coleman Roof Rack
3-D cell maglite and mount
Mopar Cross Rails
Ebay seat covers with jeep embroidery.
K&N air filter