It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LOST Rockies at Moab '06
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, Moab is just around the corner. As many of you probably know, LOST Rockies has been invited to co-host the event with LOST West and LOST Arizona, and our contribution is going to come in the form of a few cool raffle prizes and one or two breakfasts at the campground.

The raffle prizes have been selected by a small committee of old-timers and funded by decal sales.

For the breakfasts, I'm planning to bring a few dozen Costco muffins and the plates, cups, utinsels and napkins. Dave Warfield is bringing eggs and paper towels. If you'd be willing to help out, go ahead and post what you'd like to bring (or pick up at the local supermarket).

We'll need juice, and maybe some fruit, danishes, cinnamon rolls, etc.

I booked one of the little cabins at the campsite, thinking that my family would be with me part of the time, but they may not be able to come down, so we can use it as sort of a LOST Rockies headquarters and store the breakfast stuff there, if you want.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 am 
I live here
I live here

Troy, Ted will be bringing paper towels. I've got the eggs.

Did Clint say what day we could do the breakfast?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Did Clint say what day we could do the breakfast?

Any day we want. It seems reasonable, though, to do it Tuesday or Wednesday, when historically the most people are there. And if people are bringing food from home, it would be best to use that food early in the week.

Sunday might be another good day to do it, although I will likely be driving home to spend the day with my family if they don't come down to Moab for the day. (My wife has a bike ride that weekend in SLC.) But there's no reason you couldn't go ahead without me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

okay, I got a box of paper towels, should be plenty, I also bought a plug in cooler cheap at Wallyworld, so i can bring some OJ and Fruitpunch, and the CO guys know I will have coffee.

I was told no on borrowing the huge pot from work, so if anyone else can get one, that would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:36 am 
I live here
I live here

Check with MWR/Services. They might rent it with camping equipment.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:38 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

For a huge pot, preety cheap go to a Mexican Foods Store. They sell really big ones for making tamales in but they are quite affordable, like $20 affordable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 am 
I live here
I live here

I'm thinking we could do Tuesday morning. We should find out what trails will be done on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings since there will be some days where we leave really early.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:58 am 

Dave, can you check your MWR for the silver bullet coffee pots, our MWR down here does not rent them to go off base, only loan to units for official gatherings.

Post subject: See ya
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I will see ya there but will be atving!! Should be arriving on June 27 and bugging out on April 30. I will be driving a Dodge Durango and pulling a trailer w/4 atvs on it. Drop in and say HI!!! You guys better save a little room to have s drink with me!!! Does anybody know if Skyjump is going to be there?

Just a jeeper now but at one time there was nothing but LIBERTY!!! L.O.S.T. #297
Co-Founder of Lost Rockies

Post subject: It all went great...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, I'd call our first attempt at helping out with Moab was a great sucess, except for the low turnout from our club :roll:. What's up with that, guys?

Anyway, I was unable to attend the breakfast, but I understand it was well-attended, and I think we can feel pretty good about the grub we provided--eggs and bacon, tortillas and salsa (for breakfast burritos), muffins, orange juice, and coffee. And to top it all off, even though we offered it as a free breakfast we ended up getting "tips" from most of those who ate, so the costs were fully covered!

Our raffle prizes were also well-received, especially Ted's AWESOME grill clocks, the GPS, and the Leatherman tool. (Of course, the billet aluminum badges were popular, as well, but they weren't announced as being donated by LOST Rockies--but no worries.) The LOST West guys very generously split the raffle proceeds evenly between the 4 clubs attending, so we got $95 added to the treasury (the balance is always available here).

Ted made a big splash with his Rock Lizard bumpers, and left with several notable accomplishments, including the Escalator and Hell's Gate. (And he entertained us all at Rock Chucker, even though he didn't quite make it--just needed another couple inches of clearance.)

I got to lead Metal Masher on Thursday (w00t!), which was a blast. I don't know if any other LOST Rockies members got to lead trails--maybe Ted?

Anyway, it was a blast, and I think we made the club proud. Let's just try to get more people there next year!

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Last edited by Troysterr on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:31 am 

Glad you guys had a good time. Sorry I couldn't be there. I've only been at the new job for 2 months and have zero vacation time currently. It just wasn't possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:28 pm 
I live here
I live here

I just got home this morning at 1:55am. Ted should have gotten home soon after. Takes me 40 minutes to get home from Morrison and Ted says it takes him about 45-50 minutes from Morrison to his home. Yes, Aurora is farther than you think.

Almost had a death experience coming home. We were going down a long steep hill (still in Utah) and the camper started fishtailing. I could've made a diamond from the pucker factor (off the scale) while I tried to get it under control. I drove much slower the rest of the trip. The camper just had a constant lack of control the whole way. I never had any problems going to Moab so a couple things could be the cause (1. kept the MTR's on instead of putting my SRA's back on 2. weight distribution in the camper). Most likely #2.

Moab was great though the lack of LOST Rockies people (it is in our backyard) was sad. Basically just Ted, Troy, and me. Though there were a couple other Utah guys there during the first weekend.

Fewer people overall and a lot of no shows.

Had an awesome time though. Pucker Point and the Easter Egg (Flat Iron Mesa) were some of the best challenges. I also conquered the waterfall in Kane Creek for a b-day present to myself.

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:19 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I wish I could have been there. I had the leave set aside to go, Jen had vacation set aside to go, then we got the call to pick up my niece. Life happens. I will be making it the Rockies Silverton run and probably to Moab next year. (not to mention all the little runs inbetween)

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:40 pm 

MOAB was Awesome!!! Troy, I tailgunned for Ted the older, and led Hells Revenge on Saturday, Talk about a welcome to your first MOAB... I did have Wally as a copilot, so it wasn't too bad.