It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: installing skid plates on 06 4x4 sport.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

Hello,

I am new to the jeep world. I purchased a 06 liberty used and I am adding some of the stuff needed to go off road. So I have all four skids and I got the gas skid on. I am looking at the instructions for the last three, engine, transfer case and transmisstion skids.

I am trying to see if there is a particular order to put the plats on. On the transmisstion skid plate instrutions, it shows it going door to door (under the kj that is). But later it shows it going frount to back with some over lay with the eingin skid.

has anyone install these that can shed some light on the subjec, these are the morpar skids. I am a bit confused on how they go in. I did a search but could not find anything. Any help would apreciated it :shock: .

Rear Class III Hitch and ever Changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have Rusty's skids so I can only help minimally. The Transfer Case skid and Transmission skid should both use the bolts on the center crossmember (4 each, 2-15mm, 2-18mm, OEM crossmember hardware)...at least that's how it is with my Rusty's skids, but I can't imagine it's that much of a different design. The Tranmission skid also bolts to the front crossmember, where the back of the engine skid bolts. Put the transmission skid on first, then the engine skid over it on the front crossmember. Reason: obstacles could catch the lip that would be made by installing them in the opposite order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just finsihed installing 3 of the skid plates a half hour ago. The front and trasfer case were pretty easy. The gas tank skid is ackward with the trailer hitch, but it to is done. The tricky part was figuring how to unplug the trailer light plug.

I can't speak to the trasfer case skid, since I'm suppose to pick it up later this week. But, looking underneath the KJ, it looks pretty straight foward to install.

The only suggestion I would about installing the skids is to make sure you keep the "nutserk?" flush against the metal frame. One of mine moved slightly, so it is not quite flush. I pounded it flush and now the threads are a bit stripped when the bolt went in. Still strong enough for holding the skid plate, but I might replace it later.

-Sunroof, Tow Package, 235/70R16 Wrangler Silent Armor
-Mopar: tow hooks, rock rails, skids, roof basket, seat covers, compartment partition
L.O.S.T. #062602

His:
2005 X Wrangler - Stock - Electric Lime Green

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:13 pm 
I live here
I live here

If they are supposed to overlap, make sure the T-case is under the Tranny skid and the tranny is under the Front skid. This way, when you slide on rocks, they don't catch on the lips.

Just an FYI....just in case.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just finished installing the last Mopar skid plate the other day (Transmission). With our 2006 the only overlap is between the front (Engine) skid and the Transmission. They use the same two mounting bolts.

So, that is the only sequence you need to worry about. The gas tank and the transfer case skids can be done in any order, since there is no overlap.

Hope that helps.

-Sunroof, Tow Package, 235/70R16 Wrangler Silent Armor
-Mopar: tow hooks, rock rails, skids, roof basket, seat covers, compartment partition
L.O.S.T. #062602

His:
2005 X Wrangler - Stock - Electric Lime Green