It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GWNF Trip ( We're baaaaaaaaaack)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just want to say I had the best time it was so much fun. The trails were kind to beginers ( even stockers. like me) and offered a little bit of challenge to those who wanted to take them . But the really good part was meeting the fellow club members . It was so nice to put faces and real names to board names. Everyone was so friendly . patient and helpful ... the picninc was fun . A few of us camped and that was fun too. It was an excellent oppertunity to make new friends and get to know people. If you missed this you missed a lot!
good people + good trails + good fun = a real good time.
EVERYONE needs to make a trip to GWNF , regardless of your offroading experience, or lack there of. a great place to get your tires muddy for the first time . In my opinion you wont find a better group to wheel with , especially if you've never gone before!
pics at my cardomain site ! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/666214 * heads up the we had "color reversal film" so color is off and not all are posted)
pages 4-11 are the GWNF trip !

L.O.S.T member #071300
04' Renny Black 5 speed
all the stuff that came with it

Last edited by Jeepgirl on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Sorry I missed it!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I am so sorry I couldn't be with you. I am glad it went well and I am looking forward in meeting with all of you next week.

I was thinking of the group all day and the fun I would miss.

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

This was one most excellent, bodacious time! Al, you missed out on alot. You really missed out on something you would have really loved at the end of trail ride today. Not only did we have to move a huge tree that cracked and fell across our path, but there was a "stair climb" (and I use that term loosely) down that would have made Paragon jealous. Simply amazing to make it through that. Great spotting Grant!

Anyways, I just got home. I`ll post up my pics and a full report tomorrow. Thanks to all the members that came out. Great to see some new friends as well as the old friends. Everyone was most excellent folks and the Saturday trails were nice enough for the stockers with the one trail having some challenges the modded KJ`s could enjoy. The picnic was awesome. Great job "WVGrillmaster" Chris! :wink:

Mike

p.s. OK, sorry for the Bill and Ted talk... :P

EX-Vice Pres. Mid Atlantic Chapter
L.O.S.T. Moderator

Rusty`s Lift, all armor, BB`s, locked, and tons more stuff...and more to come

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

Well, I got back about an hour and a half ago. THOROUGHLY enjoyed both days. Seemed like everyone else had a good time as well. On Saturday we got started a little later than expected. We headed out of the gas station and headed for the trails around 11. After a few miles of relatively easy trail, we stopped at a mudhole to have a little fun. There were a couple guys there from NOVA Jeepers to do a 101 for some new members. We chatted with them a little and then decided to head straight for lunch. Along the way we ran into a couple more of the NOVA crew coming the other way on a narrow section of mountainside trail. We talked about how we would pass each other and they decided they could back up a little and give us enough room to pass. It was a tight squeeze between the other Jeeps and the several hundred foot drop off the side of the mountain, but we carefully inched by. We then headed up to Flagpole Knob for lunch. Chris set up the grill and started cooking while everyone kicked back and started talking Jeeps. After everyone had a burger and some other munchies, Mike handed out some raffle tickets and gave away a few small Jeep related door prizes to everyone that came. Picnic ended just in time for a little rain. Three of the KJ's had to leave a little early and the rest of us headed out for some more fun. We tackled the so-called "Jeep" trail which even Jeepgirl's stock Renegade managed to get through with just a little patience. When we got to the end of the trail, we found a good place to take some poser shots before we headed back to town. I think maybe we should consider making this an annual event. On Saturday we had nine KJ's. There were plenty of fun had by all, including the stockers. Then on Sunday, myself, Mike and Grant went back into the forest to explore another trail. All seemed well until we stopped for lunch. That's when the rain started. So we tuned to the weather radio and heard they were expecting heavy downpours and lots of lightning(none of which happened). So we wrapped up lunch quick and headed for asphalt. That's when the real fun began. The trail was a little rocky and running with rain water which made it a little challenging. About halfway down the trail the rain let up, so we decided to get out and stretch our legs. That's when a couple of guys on ATV's passed by and warned us that there was a downed tree further down the trail. I had brought my cordless sawzall just in case of such a mishap, so we weren't too worried. We continued on and found the tree. It turned out to be too much for the sawzall. I drained the battery on it and still couldn't cut all the way through, so Mike tried strapping it out of the way. After about an hour of hacking at it with Grant's emergency shovel and numerous yanks with the strap, we finally got it clear of the trail. Thinking we were almost home, we continued on only to find a section of trail with rock ledges some might consider too much for the KJ, but we had come too far to turn back. So with near perfect spotting by Grant, we inched our way carefully across the ledges without getting a single scratch. :D However this process took almost another hour for just the three Jeeps. Once we cleared this obstacle we hoped we wouldn't run into any more obstacles like the ones we had just conquered. Who knows what would have happened if we had to turn around and go back. Thankfully, there weren't any . So we headed back to town, aired back up and got some gas. We decided to get some dinner before we headed home after a long hard day of wheeling. My pictures from both days outings can be found on my Ofoto page- http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=26881540607
Thanks to all who participated and made this an event to remember.

2005 Wrangler Unlimited not so stock
L.O.S.T. #082670
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/803306
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2399643
More mods planned than money.
-----------------

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:05 am 
LOST Member

Had a great time on the trails of GWNF. With 9 jeeps and 17 people we certainly had a convoy up and down the mountains. I agree that we should make this a yearly run. Let's make this our main club run and camp out on the top of
Flagpole Knob. Make it our basecamp for each days foray into the jungles and trails. I liked the fact that everyone could participate whether stock or mod, and allowing each of us to actually choose how much damage we wanted to incur :shock: . Lunch was excellent and the people were great. I liked meeting all the people that I chat with on the forum. I always learn a lot with you guys. Camping Saturday night at Brandywine Campground was tons of fun,, you guys are a blast :lol: . I will definitely check out these trails again. Thanks to Mike and David for scouting out a great area,, you did a good job of organizing and leading us,, thank you! Here's some of my pics,, hope it works

ps Jeepgirl, only a couple pics are coming up

Get muddy

george

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/796305/7

3" Lift 265 Cooper Discoverer S/T
Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

The difference between me and a madman is: I'm not mad! (Salvador Dali)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:38 am 
LOST Newbie

thanks George it's fixed!

L.O.S.T member #071300
04' Renny Black 5 speed

Post subject: RE: We're back
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:23 pm 
LOST Member

I had a blast!
Sorry I had to leave after lunch... although it sounds like I may have needed more than a little guidance up the "jeep trail"
pics are posted from saturday ( http://mysite.verizon.net/vze88hvp/id4.html )
Can't wait till next time!
:D

Post subject: The Fellowship of the KJ`s
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:02 pm 

The Fellowship of the KJ`s

David B & Kimberly
Mike P & Wendy
George C & Nancy
Grant S
Kevin O & Sandy
Jack
Chris S & Jen
Jenn M & Bill
Andy B

Wow, great report David. You covered pretty much everything. It was great to meet everyone. 9 KJ`s in all, 15 people. The event was a success and tons of fun had by all.

The first day, the trails and scenery were very nice. There was a nice big mudpen play area to get the Jeeps muddy half way through the trail. Some pretty creeks to cross and a few side play hills to have some fun on, and it was on to the top of the mountain to Flagpole knob. The weather was overcast which was a good thing. It kept it nice and cool because the few moments the sun did shine through, it was killer heat. Chris was the iron chef of the mountain and did a superb job of cooking. Good food!

I loved giving away the Jeep stuff, hoped everyone liked it. Next big event, I`ll try to get some bigger prizes. The Jeep Compasses were courtesy of Hendricks Jeep in Woodbridge, Va. The other cool stuff I picked up at Camp Jeep on the Beach to use for this occasion.

After the cookout, it started to rain a bit just as we were ready to leave. Perfect timing. 3 of the group headed out and the rest of us did a cool "Jeep Trail" for the remainder of the day. The weather was threatening all day and we even got a sweet view of a downpour from Meadows knob. Group pics were taken there. The trail was a fun one and had some challenges that made it interesting for the modded ones and a great experience for the stockers. I would highly recommend that you have skid plates for this trail.

This took the rest of the day and there was one fun hill to play with near the end where you could pose or climb around in and around. After this, it was time to head out. George/Nancy and Jenn/Bill headed to the campground in WV and the rest of us headed to Harrisonburg and ate at O`Charleys. Chris/Jen headed home afterwards. Overall, the day was a total blast.

The next day, David, Grant, & I (along with the appropriate gals) decided to do the the trail Grant and I scouted out last week and this time head down a new one. The first one, Second Mountain Trail, was a fun one, especially in the beginning. Once again, minimum of skids needed for this. It had two "scenic views" from the power lines, the first one having "poser rock". Also, right before that was a nice play area full of mudholes and good mud climbs. Some "weird but cool" rock formations were also before this.

After getting to the ATV staging area where a bunch of trails meet, we did a lunch, and as David mentioned, it started downpouring on us so we finished eating in the KJ`s and headed down Dictum Trail. This trail is not to be done by stock KJ`s due to the aforementioned steep rock "steps" that no KJ in their right mind should do. Well, no "right minds" in this group! :twisted:

Anyways, This trail is mostly downward and mostly rocky. It is definately a fun one and I would absolutely LOVE to go UP this trail next time if we can get past the steep rock "steps". It poured on us half way through it which was really cool. We then met up with some ATV`ers and were informed of a downed tree. OK, we`ll check it out.

Knowing that we weren`t too far from the end, we came across THE TREE. This monstrosity cracked and fell across the path and wedged itself between two other trees down off the trail. It took a small sawzall, some hacking by a military shovel, and some pulls of my towstrap to finally get Godzilla Tree out of the way. Oh, and some digging too. It would get stuck and dig itself into the ground of a tree.

Man, after finally getting past that, we thought we were home free. Well, guess what. We weren`t. Leading the way, I looked down the trail ahead as we drove and just said "Aw, chit!". There was the huge rock "steps" that, as I mentioned above, no KJ in their right mind should even attempt. But, we had come too far and accomplished too much to be deterred. The road was only a few hundred feet from us and to turn around would take another 3 or so hours.

I was the first sucker to go down and with some great spotting and also David helping and also standing on the bumper so we wouldn`t tip, I made it through. After that, David came through and then I spotted Grant through. Seriously, this was FUN. Nerve wracking, adrenaline pumping, FUN. Scared the chit out of Wendy, she went down the trail and didn`t want to watch. Man, Grant and David, you guys did great! Oh yeah, there was also a part you had to go by a tree and narrowly miss sliding into it. At the bottom right past it, the left was a muddy ledge that had a nice drop off. You made one wrong move or the ground gave way, and it it was tumble city...:shock: But we made it...:twisted:

Welllll, after that, we reached the road in about 3 minutes. There were further downhill rock "steps" that would definately let your skid plates know you were banging rocks, but after the "big one", we just laughed at these and sailed on through.

I want to thank everyone for coming and making the whole weekend a great experience. I definately agree to make this an annual event and I love the idea of using Flagpole knob as a "Base camp". I also want to extend an invitation to anyone who didn`t come to come to the next event, whether it be just a wheeling trip or even a Jeep show. All the folks in the club are very friendly and you will have the time of your life!

Mike :twisted:

Here are my pics. Go to the bottom.

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Last edited by Talon 1 on Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:21 pm 
LOST Member

my wife's name is Nancy

Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:31 pm 

For the life of me, I just couldn`t remember it. Also, I think Jenn`s bf/fiance name was Chris. Other than that, I got them all. Not bad for my memory with names. :oops:

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I knew that! I knew that! my fiances name is Bill , but we just call him riker!

L.O.S.T member #071300
04' Renny Black 5 speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

I remembered riker :roll:

Brushguard Diff Guard
Skids & Rails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:12 pm 

Riker? Where`s Data and Geordi? :-)r

L.O.S.T. Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Caught Talon 1's KJ in the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:28 pm 

Sweet pic Jack! Have you posted your other pics?

Mike

L.O.S.T. Moderator