It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blower resistor upgrade, winter's coming!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Last weekend, my blower resistor gave way, leaving me with only position #4 . Removed it and discovered a PC board which is just a normal ceramic pc board with an epoxy coating. Of course, a trace was burnt. I soldered a wire between the two "v" and it worked again. I measured the resistance between each pins. 4-5= 1.5 ohms, 3-4= 0.5 ohms, 2-3= 0.2 ohms, 1-2=short. I also measured the voltage between 3-4 with the engine running and discovered that the current consumption is 5A on pos1, 10A on pos2 and 20A on pos3 which means that those resistors dissipate over 100w each on certain positions. It's quite a load for a pc board!!! I started surfing ebay and the web to discover that the 2001-2004 sebring used the same type of resistor pack and had a lot of problems. SURPRISE!!! The first pack they had used funnily looks like the one the oem sells for the liberty with the 2 "V"wires and the black epoxy. Funnily enough, the dealer and the jobbers decided to upgrade the board following an unusual failure rate and use wirewound resistor encapsulated in ceramic. There's also a thermal fuse rated at 240 deg celsius on it. So, I purchased one (Standard p/n RU347, Dealer 5174124AA, Airtex 4P1326) and it works. Funnily enough once again, the resistance is the same between the different pins but it seems a lot more solid than that flimsy pc board. I guess only time will tell but I'm already more confident. I'm confident because, nichrome is much harder to corrode than copper, because ceramic is a lot more resistant than epoxy under high heat, because that oem p/n is made in Slovenia instead of Mexico. I'm really getting tired of those funny high failure rate on Chrysler products, almost (really almost) make me believe that it's been engineered that way to sell more parts... (fabricated by the lowest bidder, of course!)

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 pm 
LOST Member

Yikes...almost double the cost of a regular replacement.

http://bit.ly/17sNcv

I'd be interested to know how many times people have to do this repair on average to see if it's worth the money to upgrade to the RU347. Good looking out though, a very interesting post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

30$ can for Chrysler oem, 37$ can for Standard p/n, worth it to me.

2006 CRD KJ, 245/70R16 A/T KO, GDE eco tune, ARB bull bar, OME lift, AVIC-N4, turbo timer, pulsetech solargizer, Racor CCV3500, Racor 245R122 fuel head, Caterpillar battery, oem light bar, KC lights, HID fog lts, cb, ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:38 pm 
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA

e_poirier2004 wrote:

I got mine for 21.82 from Jeep

Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

Jeep Dawg wrote:
e_poirier2004 wrote:

I got mine for 21.82 from Jeep

You got the Sebring resistor pack for that much? That's awesome!

Post subject: Re: Blower resistor upgrade, winter's coming!!!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:54 am 
LOST Addict

e_poirier2004 wrote:
So, I purchased one (Standard p/n RU347, Dealer 5174124AA, Airtex 4P1326) and it works.

Please keep us updated on your experiement.

Currently my KJ has a HVAC resisitor failure about every 2 years. at $17.xxUS it isn't too bad, but a permanet fix would be steller.

USA Spec I-Pod adaptor, Mopar Sub, Garmin GPS
Tow Package, Select-Trac
Rock Rails, Tow Hooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good gosh, that thing pulls 20amps on#3? What does it pull on #4?

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 pm 
LOST Addict

^^wow. I am real interested in how you make out with that upgrade.

I guess it sounds like the blower motor and fan use a lot of juice.

Post subject: With Photo
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yesterday speeds 1 and 2 stopped working on my 06 CRD and I found this thread. Here's pictures of old and new. I got mine at Advanced Autoparts and it's ceramic covered as mentioned. The brand is BWD and part number is RU1040 and is listed for a Sebring as listed above. The get to the resistor open the glove box then press inward on the latch arms on the left and right side to let it drop down further. The resistor is right there held on by two 5/16 head screws. You need to pull out on the red tab about 1/4" to push the release and it required some pressure to get the red tap to pull out :wink: It was $28.99 :lol: This jeep has not turned 30k miles yet, what next :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Our 05 lost #1 while back, # 2 went out yesterday. So are you all saying buy the 01-04 sebring resistor instead?

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
Our 05 lost #1 while back, # 2 went out yesterday. So are you all saying buy the 01-04 sebring resistor instead?

Look carefully at the pictures of my old (black covered circuit board on the right) and compare it to the Sebring one from Advanced Auto (Heavy conventional nichrome resistors covered with heat disapating ceramic and protected by temperature fuse on the left)
In other words COST CUTTING on the right and ROBUST construction on the left :lol:

And as mentioned on another thread take out both screws and pull it out of the heater box to give you better accessability to the red tab that must be pulled out about 1/4" before you can press the release tab :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

I sense a need to stickify this thread. I think I may replace this before I experience any loss of fan speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad this thread came up. Mine went out on #1 & #2 on Thursday. When I drag myself away from this dam computer I'll run to Advanced for one myself. Thanks, It's all in the timing ya know! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:58 pm 
LOST Member

some one tell me if im wrong, but usually if the resistor pack goes bad you should lose all the speeds except high. if this is the case. start checking the connectors to the resistor block and other wiring. i have and dodge B van that periodically looses speed 3 because the connector has come loose over the years and is not always making contact with the resistor block

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rt_power wrote:
some one tell me if im wrong, but usually if the resistor pack goes bad you should lose all the speeds except high. if this is the case. start checking the connectors to the resistor block and other wiring. i have and dodge B van that periodically looses speed 3 because the connector has come loose over the years and is not always making contact with the resistor block

Wrong because they are all in series with connectns for each of the three speeds and 1 is at the end followed by 2. Next to fail would be three. But outlines of the traces visable in the epoxy show 3 as having much wider traces with one and two being thinner. Also unless the heat/AC controls are set to off the blower is always on and in my case and I'm guessing most others they are set on ONE.

And as far as years go my 06 is just 5 months out of it's 3 year warranty an has not turned 30k yet :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welp, guess Ill go ahead and pick up a spare. :)

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Welp, guess Ill go ahead and pick up a spare. :)

Then yours will never break as long as you have that spare......Murphy's Law.

Happens to me all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great timing! My 1 and 2 position went out. I replaced the part as described and it works great! I had a pretty hard time getting the old one to come apart but it did eventually.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Terry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

good thread! my sisters neighbors 05 or 06 Liberty, fan only worked on setting #4, she was going to take it to the dealer, im like WAIT!! i looked up this thread, found the part number, and she went to Advanced Auto and bought the part, i put it in, and all 4 settings work again. shes excited, and im glad this thread was here to help. $28.99 is still the same price.

WOW what a difference in quality this new part is, you were not kidding! the other one is a cheap piece of plastic garbage!! this new one is totally coated in that green ceramic and is metal instead of plastic. VERY good quality. it was much bigger than i thought it would be too, it looks a lot smaller in the pictures :lol:

and yea, it was a pain to get the plug off of that sucker! but i eventually got it. the bottom screw it annoying to get to. the top screw you can use a hex nut driver easily, but the bottom one, you need either a wrench or socket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

It's free under the recall.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.