It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: IRO WJ Rear Upper A Arm Install (Completed)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:01 pm 
LOST Member

Whitby, I just noticed "custom high mount intake" in your signature line...Any write-ups or pics of that? I've been toying with the idea of a cowl intake...Not a cowl induction type hood, moving the intake tube to the the cowl area....

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:16 am 
LOST Junkie

There is a picture roaming around here somewhere, just cut the factory tube, after the 90 and slide on a ractive filter, tighten the hose clamp. Then buy a 99 cent push style barbed hose fitting, jb weld that to tube and connect your crank case breather lines to it.. Done.

The whole deal cost like 40 bucks CAD.

IRO WJ Upper Arm -- WJ Rear LCA's -- Rear Driveshaft Spacer -- JBA Upper A Arms -- 4 inch Lift -- 265/75/16 4" B/S -- WasherBottle Relocate -- Custom High Mount Intake -- Carpet Delete -- Homebrew Winch Bumper -- Warn VR8000 -- Homemade Plow -- Pinch Weld POUNDED -- POR 15 inner fenders --

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Can you pm me your phone number and how much you want sent to your paypal? I want one of these for novelty/offroad use only, I don't mind if you want a disclaimer signed. I can bend and weld it if needed. Cash in hand please get back to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Or if you can send me the file I can have it cut out myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:11 am 
LOST Junkie

I trust that you wouldn't hold me liable for damages incurred, even tho any would be highly unlikely.

Like all manufacturers of offroad suspensions and their equipment, they function from Llc's and limited businesses. They also carry hefty insurances policies. This is because with a high risk part such as this, there really is no telling what could happen and to who. The same applies to oem manufacturers.

Hypothetical, you take your buddy wheeling, the bracket fails, he dies, what's to stop his wife from coming after me? My family and my house?

There are steps I have to go through, strictly for insurance purposes. Once I hit those marks, the bracket will fairly be open to everyone.

THE OTHER OPTION:
I can farm the work out to somebody stateside. It will cost a bit more.. Even tho I won't be seeing any of the money. But it all depends on how bad you want it.

IRO WJ Upper Arm -- WJ Rear LCA's -- Rear Driveshaft Spacer -- JBA Upper A Arms -- 4 inch Lift -- 265/75/16 4" B/S -- WasherBottle Relocate -- Custom High Mount Intake -- Carpet Delete -- Homebrew Winch Bumper -- Warn VR8000 -- Homemade Plow -- Pinch Weld POUNDED -- POR 15 inner fenders --

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Update:

The brackets are available for purchase in the USA. These set of brackets will be made stateside. So the shipping costs will be small and there won't be import fees.

Email me: themastermechanic@live.com and I will put you in touch with the fabrication company.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:52 pm 
LOST Member

So will these come bent and welded or will we need do it/have it done.
Expect an email from me shortly Whitby KJ

IRO 3 Linked
245/75 Duratracs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

We haven't worked out a hardline price yet, but I'd bet if you were to bend it yourself and have a shop weld it, the price would be much lower.

We are definitely thinking about having two options available but the green light is on for DIY versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 am 
LOST Member

Email link doesn't work, but I'm interested in a bracket, or at least your design cad/blueprints/bar napkin with the measurements. I installed an OME lift & JBA uca's for my buddy's super hot sister in law last week. He has the IRO link we took off his WJ when we did the 4link. I put some points on the board doing her lift, and if I make the 2pt conversion by putting the IRO link on, my team will win the championship and bring home the trophy. Not having to design the thing myself definitely gives my team possession of the ball and control of the clock if you know what I mean. :):D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

The_dealer wrote:
Email link doesn't work, but I'm interested in a bracket, or at least your design cad/blueprints/bar napkin with the measurements. I installed an OME lift & JBA uca's for my buddy's super hot sister in law last week. He has the IRO link we took off his WJ when we did the 4link. I put some points on the board doing her lift, and if I make the 2pt conversion by putting the IRO link on, my team will win the championship and bring home the trophy. Not having to design the thing myself definitely gives my team possession of the ball and control of the clock if you know what I mean. :):D

I honestly dont know what to say.....football, Jeeps, "buddy's super hot sister". Thats a deadly combination thats gonna end in no more football, no more Jeeps, and no more buddy or his "super hot sister"

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:53 pm 
LOST Member

Luckily it's his sister in law, so he could care less. My Tapatalk didn't show the pictures of the brackets for some reason yesterday, so now I have a better visual of how you did it. The only thing that concerns me is the strength of it side/side. Where you have the V shaped piece, I'd recommend a downward pointing V shaped piece to box in that whole piece. A downward V will still have plenty of clearance for the arm. Some may argue but the upper link controls axle rotation and side to side movement, which is why a track bar isn't needed. There is an unbelievable amount of lateral force that the upper sees, especially offroad. While it may seem overkill, adding that extra piece isn't very time consuming to make it not worth the peace of mind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

I'm staring at a WJ 44a w/ stock wishbone on the floor of my shop at the moment. The whole setup pales in comparison to Whitby's bracket and the IRO arm. :shock: It looks seriously skookum to me. 8)

Sometimes I think 4x4 forums fall victim to overbuilt-itis. :goink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sorry for my LONG absence,

I spent the last two weeks or so getting married.

Going back to the overbuilt-it is.. yes, yes it is. The entire bracket was engineered so that stresses incurred on one side, were transferred along the entire mounting surface of the bracket. The rendered 3d image of the bracket is not the final revision. If you pay close attention to my pictures you will see multiple redundancies built in.

1) The bracket is CNC cut for a precise fit, EVERY time.
2) The bracket is designed to be made from 1/4" thick steel, it cannot fit together unless the material is, in fact 1/4". (WRT to the two undertabs)
3) The bracket is welded together AND mechanically locked with two half inch tabs.
4) If the end user decides, the bracket can be bolted and then the furthest most backside can be WELDED DIRECTLY to the diff.
5) During assembly of the bracket, all weld joints present themselves as outside corner joints, making for a nice deep penetrating puddle every time. It is possible to weld the bracket front side and back side, I know I did on mine.

I currently have 2800 kilometers on mine, heavy wheeling (pulling a '96 ram and an '02 Dakota out of the mud), towing and some various other offroad stupidity that I probably shouldn't have done lol...

This is speaking directly about the bracket.. don't forget the other portion of this mod, is in fact the IRO arm. Where a UBJ would cost around 60 - 80 dollars a piece, a flex joint rebuilt kit is a fraction of the price (20 dollars I think). The arm comes powder coated and is backed by IRO's warranties and customer support.

I am not trying to sell you guys brackets, nor was that ever my original intention... I just can't stress how well this thing has treated me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

in addition to the above:

take a look under your KJ, and then take a look at my pics, explore my imageshack if you want. You decide if the factory POS is stronger than what I've made. :)

I'm getting news that some 4x4 shops are trying to copy what I've made. That's cool. But it ain't genuine and it ain't legit. Buyer beware.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WhitbyKJ wrote:
I'm getting news that some 4x4 shops are trying to copy what I've made. That's cool. But it ain't genuine and it ain't legit. Buyer beware.

For what it's worth, as long as you're doing this for the love of the hobby and for a little money on the side (maybe), you're doing fine. Unfortunately, there's not really (arguably) anything patent-able, so intellectual property is a dead-end.

From my experience, what gets you staying power once people start to imitate are two things:
1) get out there with a viable product that works first and establish a good rep.
2) once you do have competition, make sure you offer a better overall experience, be it in quality, price, added support of some kind, etc.

Being the cheapest (or fastest, or biggest) in a competitive market doesn't always guarantee success, but being there first and treating your customers better than anywhere else will drive success.

Dan

P.S. sent an email, but I imagine you've been busy :) ...and Mazeltov!

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well said:

I just want everyone to have a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Oooh check out those lower long arms.....sooo pretty

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

that is not why i posted that. lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

YZO024 wrote:
that is not why i posted that. lol

Whats going on in that 3rd pic...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next