It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bumper vs winch mount
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I recently acquired my first jeep (2002 liberty) in preparation of our first born due in August. Of course, it is 1/4 tool and 3/4 toy (Not how I sold that at home....) and I am adding some aftermarkets to it. I have the roof cargo issue sorted but now I am on to recovery, bumpers, etc and I am having a debate. This jeep was purchased from a friend and will only be around a few years before I end up in something a bit newer and pass this off to the wife, so I am trying to make is capable but affordable at the same time. I am debating between the KJ backbone and the arb bull bar. It seems there is very little in the way of available aftermarket bumpers and these two have been my favorite options thus far. Will I regret the KJ Backbone? Am I giving up anything beyond durability and great aesthetics with this product http://www.detoursusa.com/kjbackbone.php ? Any insight would be great, even if it is a totally different option. Looking to pull the trigger on this ASAP so I can get out on the "trail". Thanks for your time!

Post subject: Re: Bumper vs winch mount
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:30 pm 
LOST Member

I personally do not like how "chunky" and the underbite that it gives the kjs. I have a backbone, no winch yet, but i have used it for pulling, and some pushing. Its plenty strong. Im actually planning on using it for (pardon the pun) a backbone to a winch/prerunner style bumper. If you want to get out on the trail asap without spending a ton of money, id say the backbone is you best option. Arbs run close to a thousand plus a winch. A backbone and a winch should be under 1000 depending on your winch of course. Good luck and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks very much! That's what I was thinking for the most part but it always helps to get actual feedback from someone who owns the product.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:27 pm 
LOST Member

no problem. plus when it comes to lifts/springs etc, running an arb with a winch you are pretty limited to 790s in the front, whereas with the backbone 1) its lighter 2) its easier to mount and unmount the winch. you can go with a lighter duty spring and remove the winch when you aren't out on the trails. the arb the winch is deep inside the bumper from what I gather. I believe you have to take the bumper off the mounting plates to unmount the winch, so your DD'ing with a 100+ pounds of weight you don't really need all the time . just my 2c :2cents: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:01 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ONLY way to go is with a full width bumper like the ARB. The money spent on a Detours could make a very nice chunk out of an ARB price
With full width protection of the vehicle, winch protected more from the elements plus harder to steal why go with anything else?
As far as springs goes, same price no matter what and same ride basically
4 full grown Deer, a Toyota Camry and a GMC pickup all tried my ARB out over the years and hardly hurt it at all
As far as sticking out more, maybe some but never hurt me trying to get up onto rocks etc

My vote ARB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Heres one I built for a guy....turned out real nice.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Heres what I have on my KJ. Full width and 3/16" steel.

I vote for Full Width myself, you will be happier with a Full width and IF you ever had to "bump" something, no plastic os involved.

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

You can't push shopping carts out the spot with all that plastic on there. Full width it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

wickedbruce wrote:
You can't push shopping carts out the spot with all that plastic on there. Full width it is.

Yep because #mallcrawlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:37 am 
LOST Junkie

You say you've got a new born on the way?

Full width.

Hands down. If you hit something, on the road, not only will the arb protect you, it's air bag certified and its insured.

On the trail, if your busy watching the jeep behind you (cuz it's awesome) and you don't see that tree, you won't be replacing a signal light (whoops).

IRO WJ Upper Arm -- WJ Rear LCA's -- Rear Driveshaft Spacer -- JBA Upper A Arms -- 4 inch Lift -- 265/75/16 4" B/S -- WasherBottle Relocate -- Custom High Mount Intake -- Carpet Delete -- Homebrew Winch Bumper -- Warn VR8000 -- Homemade Plow -- Pinch Weld POUNDED -- POR 15 inner fenders --

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 am 
LOST Junkie

X2 to my above,

It is way easier to pitch it to the wife of it falls under equipment that could "save the baby" :)

You could also show her the IIHS video of the libby crash test, where the wheel well tries to enter the passenger compartment and pinches the dummies leg. An arb would help distribute the forces of a frontal collision more into the frame rather than crumpling down the side like it did in the video... Just sayin, that's how I'd pitch my wife.

IRO WJ Upper Arm -- WJ Rear LCA's -- Rear Driveshaft Spacer -- JBA Upper A Arms -- 4 inch Lift -- 265/75/16 4" B/S -- WasherBottle Relocate -- Custom High Mount Intake -- Carpet Delete -- Homebrew Winch Bumper -- Warn VR8000 -- Homemade Plow -- Pinch Weld POUNDED -- POR 15 inner fenders --

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:02 am 
LOST Junkie

X3 man I could do this all day,

If the lift and tires is an issue also with her, or if it isn't it doesn't matter, consider all the crap you can make it through with a lifted vehicle during an emergency. Say a tornado knocks out the only road outta town or you've got flooding, or insert whatever you want here lol.

Two winters ago we had the "ice storm" up here, no power for three days (5 km from the nuke power station) and the streets in my city were all littered with massive branches and 2 inches of ice. There was garbage and debris all over the roads.. Everything was pitch black. (Up here this is a huge deal).. The Libby was able to climb over all the debris and branches and I drove a bit to the next town that had an open Walmart, bought two generators and then drove home. Our house was the only one on the street with power and a working hot water tank. All because my lifted libby :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks everyone!! I may have to wait a couple weeks but I have plenty of ammunition to support the ARB AND sell it to the wife :BANANA: . Any idea where I can get a black one to start or does everyone just diggerize it at home? All I have found thus far is the silver version despite some time invested in google searches.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FosTerH0ME wrote:
Thanks everyone!! I may have to wait a couple weeks but I have plenty of ammunition to support the ARB AND sell it to the wife :BANANA: . Any idea where I can get a black one to start or does everyone just diggerize it at home? All I have found thus far is the silver version despite some time invested in google searches.

Only ones I've ever seen from the factory are the black/grey powdercoates ones. I'm guessing anything else has been painted.

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:43 am 

diggerrize ....never
do it right and paint it
Best thing to do is talk lift now as well since stock springs will be on the bumpstops otherwise :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
ONLY way to go is with a full width bumper like the ARB. The money spent on a Detours could make a very nice chunk out of an ARB price
With full width protection of the vehicle, winch protected more from the elements plus harder to steal why go with anything else?
4 full grown Deer, a Toyota Camry and a GMC pickup all tried my ARB out over the years and hardly hurt it at all
As far as sticking out more, maybe some but never hurt me trying to get up onto rocks etc

My vote ARB

This is what I like to hear. My wife hit a deer and I am putting an ARB in place of a new OE bumper. I am hoping that next time it happens(which it will) the ARB will just mow over the deer and she can keep driving.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thinking Frankenlift II premium for the lift but still researching a bit. Looking for the best bang for my buck and I don't want to wish I had gotten something else once I drop the $. Open to suggestions if someone has had great experience but it looks like everyone has a differing opinion based on their vehicle use and I haven't even had it out on the trails yet so I am not certain exactly what/where I will take it out. NW Arkansas jeep roads are pretty likely but it is hard to say what will be best suited for that environment. As a daily driver, I am unlikely to get in too "deep" (that's the plan at least..... :ROTFL: ).

Up to this point my tool of choice for off road has been a ktm 500 exc or honda 450 CRF and I am more than a little out of my depth in this new realm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:
tommudd wrote:

My vote ARB

This is what I like to hear. My wife hit a deer and I am putting an ARB in place of a new OE bumper. I am hoping that next time it happens(which it will) the ARB will just mow over the deer and she can keep driving.

And just a FYI - Tom sold me that bumper and I was able to massage the dents out of it and now it's protecting another Jeep. The ARB's are tough!

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You could also go with JBA and their 4xGuard setup. Since you have a 2002...you can order it with the receiver hitch up front. Then you could get a winch and cradle that would be able to be front or rear mounted. You could also remove the winch all together for normal driving. Just a thought...

http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2002-2007 ... guard.html

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

4x4kayak2112 wrote:

Heres one I built for a guy....turned out real nice.

Really Like that Setup

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph