It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Hard to find noise -- clinking and clanking
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm 
LOST Member

Diesel Dan wrote:
I don't put the ATF in the fuel, just the engine oil.
Mercedes Benz even published an article years ago about running ATF in fuel, they did not recommend it.

I am interested to read the article you speak of. Until a few years ago I was an active member of Peach parts & then Pelican Parts when ownership of the site changed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:21 am 
LOST Member

I'm back. Sorry to have been gone so long.

July 7 I took my pistons / wrist pins / new bushings / pistons to the machinist. Today (Sat, Oct 19; 3 months 12 days later) I finally got them back. I did feel like going all Popeye on him, but I didn't. However, this is the last time I take my business to him. I'll ship things across the island to Hilo for any machine work, or maybe even to the island of Oahu to get machine work done.

Tomorrow I'll finally get back into this job and clean the carbon layer off the inside surfaces of the crankcase. It is black but not thick; I can not scrape chunks off. I plan to spray the inside of the crankcase (without including the crankshaft/bearings) with oven cleaner to take off the carbon. Afterward I plan to continue with SuperClean, the purple engine cleaner. Maybe I should do SuperClean first to get oil off, then Oven Cleaner to remove carbon, then SuperClean again to remove Oven Cleaner.

Anyone have better suggestions to take carbon off the inside surfaces of an engine? I don't want to take the block all apart again and have the block boiled.

Once I get the engine together again, I can include a quart or two of transmission fluid in the oil to clean the remainder and drain it after the first day of driving. After that, I hope this engine will be clean, lean and mean.

See, I did read the latest posts since my last one. All caught up now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

This year has been a very odd one. Typically summer is the rainy season; this year it rained all summer and through the fall. Now the weather guessers are predicting the rain will continue until April. Apparently global warming comes with a rinse cycle.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Good to hear from you again!
Wow, other than shipping costs, it sounds like you would get the machine work far sooner elsewhere. :banghead:
Sorry it's been such a long drawn out endeavor.
Your situation is unique enough I'm not sure how to proceed.
With restoring cast iron cookware, they say to soak in oven cleaner (EasyOff) to remove the carbon, then in vinegar to remove rust, but that's probably not an issue with the crankcase.

I don't know how well ATF would work.
Being a turbocharged diesel, I would be more inclined to leave it run at a fast idle (8-900 rpm) for a couple hours rather than drive it, as carbon sludge being cleaned away from crankcase surfaces and being carried in the oil could damage the turbo pretty quickly if it's spooled up to boost levels with carbon sludge and ATF solvent in the oil. It could damage the bearings and seals PDQ.

With normally aspirated petrol engines in the past, I have substituted a quart of mineral spirits in an oil change, mixed with the motor oil before putting it in, so it didn't hit the oil pump in pure solvent form. Never drove them, just used regular 30 weight, and left it idle for a half hour, then changed again when hot. Seemed to work pretty well, but I wouldn't try it with a diesel.

Thanks for keeping us informed on what you try and how it works.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the greeting GordnadoCRD !

Finally started to work on the engine again. Got the block cleaned with Oven Cleaner, then rinsed with vinegar to neutralize the lye-based oven cleaner. The block is cast iron-colored now instead of my basic carbon black.

First was to do a test to ensure the new jets actually work that shoot oil up under the piston skirts & lube the wrist pins. Assembled the counter-weight assembly, oil draw tube and the oil pan. Filled with clean oil and cranked it with a hefty electric drill on the crank pulley. I'm glad I made that test because those jets did not shoot oil, not a drop.

Disassembled again and cleaned the jets. They were filled with junk from all my cleaning the block efforts. Through this week I hope to spend an hour each night flushing and filtering the oil. Will get some more oil galley plugs in preparation for cleaning them out with a galley cleaning brush. I'll flush a couple times with oils, including transmission oil and Marvel Mystery Oil.

I'm hosting the Home Brewers' Meeting Sat Nov 9 so I'll only get 1 day this weekend.

Dean.

Changed Turbo.
100,000-mile service.
Replaced harmonic balancer.
Noise in front axle or 3rd member - removed loose chain in transfer case.
Rebuilt engine - replaced #3 cylinder, piston, valves, head repair. Removed EGR.
Sheared bolts on TC. Replaced flex plate, TC, bolts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29