It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

let me ask you this how much of the motar can get wet..i know acouple of times i hav gotten watter to hit the bottom of the hood, as far as splashing goes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

ohv_kj wrote:
let me ask you this how much of the motar can get wet..i know acouple of times i hav gotten watter to hit the bottom of the hood, as far as splashing goes...

I've had it pretty wet James... you've seen that! so far no ill effects, however, if you haven't... I want to extend the breathers on mine just for added security. We could do both at once, I'll bring the beer.

then we can let the wifes get there hair done at mayfaire and take a voyage across the street :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ohv_kj wrote:
That's fine the KJ is pretty "weatherproof" and will take a good splash,I'm talking about going through 4'+ of water.

Oh and another reason for drain holes when deep fording is to allow water into the cabin,sounds wrong but if you waterproof the cabin so no water gets in and you are in deep water(48"+) you can "float" and loose traction and control,allowing water into the cabin will keep you planted and have more traction and control.

It's rather fun going through 60" of water,just hold your breath and a hand throttle is very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:37 am 
LOST Junkie

ramlebliberty wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:

I've had it pretty wet James... you've seen that! so far no ill effects, however, if you haven't... I want to extend the breathers on mine just for added security. We could do both at once, I'll bring the beer.

then we can let the wifes get there hair done at mayfaire and take a voyage across the street :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

you didn't here?? mayfair shut down due to your company i believe...i have done my brethers but we can do yours... 8)

so w/ what i have - the snorkel, i should be able to go to my head lights w/ no problem??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:46 am 
LOST Addict

As long as you keep a good bow wake you'll be OK. What sux is when you get stuck in the deep water. That's when you watch the interior slowly fill up with water.

My last trip I go high-centered in a hole with water past the trim that says "liberty". By the time I got pulled out (5 mins) there was 2" of water everwhere.

If you stall do not restart, if you have manual, do not push in the clutch.

I was able to save the interior before the black swamp water festered.

Diving a Liberty through deep water too fast tends to rip off the plastic fenders too!

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:05 am 
LOST Member

ohv_kj wrote:
ramlebliberty wrote:
ohv_kj wrote:

you didn't here?? mayfair shut down due to your company i believe...i have done my brethers but we can do yours... 8)

so w/ what i have - the snorkel, i should be able to go to my head lights w/ no problem??

:( :x :evil: :twisted: well we do have some magnetic decals lying around the garage. I could accuire some and we could say we are there surveying the storm water collection system out there. As long as we snap pictures now & then I'm sure no one would ask questions 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

JL Rockies wrote:
As long as you keep a good bow wake you'll be OK. What sux is when you get stuck in the deep water. That's when you watch the interior slowly fill up with water.

My last trip I go high-centered in a hole with water past the trim that says "liberty". By the time I got pulled out (5 mins) there was 2" of water everwhere.

If you stall do not restart, if you have manual, do not push in the clutch.

I was able to save the interior before the black swamp water festered.

Diving a Liberty through deep water too fast tends to rip off the plastic fenders too!

how do you think i lost one of mine :oops: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

ohv_kj wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:

how do you think i lost one of mine :oops: 8)

Yep, the fenders don't like it too much. Mine was still hanging on partly though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:00 am 
LOST Newbie

JL Rockies wrote:

Lost both of mine that way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Okay I've read through the original posting and the replies and I'm surprised that nobody questioned just how your "diffs filled back up with muck". I really doubt that water/muck could leak into the diffs via the breathers. The hoses are really small and the actual breathers are placed pretty high up on the vehicle. I suspect that the water/muck is entering the diffs via the axle seals. And if water/muck can get in diff oil can get out. Do you see any oily patches beneath your parked Libby?

I'm not a fan of deep water crossings even in my Libby. The door seals don't work all that well, just ask around. Once while stuck in a big puddle waiting for a tug/tow I had water leaking in the passenger side door.

Backwards facing snorkels are great if you like to splash your way through water (fender flares optional LOL).
I plan to put bathtub plugs in the floor pans of my YJ. I've flooded it more times than I can remember.

You can make your Jeep water resistant but I doubt you make it watertight. You would need a snorkel, raise all the breathers (i.e.: transfer case, transmission & diffs) seal the dipstick tubes & distributor and replace the clutch fan with an electric cooling fan. Maybe a periscope would be a good idea too (LOL).
This guys could have used one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Tsz_SMF5I

actually I think the driver could have used a snorkel too

my trail queen
95 YJ with a RE 4" lift, 33" ProComp Extreme's, M8000 Winch, Lockrite Locker up front, Super35 in the rear and 4.88 gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

seals... also make sure your diffs are sealed well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:24 am 
LOST Newbie

JL Rockies wrote:
Don't forget the tranny breather, some years you have to drop the trans to get to it. I had to on mine.

you don't have to drop the trans for the breather. just disconnect your front drive shaft and you can get your arm up there. it is on the driver's side on the bell housing. the clamp is a pain to get on, since there is little room and visibility. I bought "hand tighten" clamps at autozone and it did the trick.