It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone have a 2.5" lift, without aftermarket shock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I took my DT3000 replacement shocks off last night, because they didn't fit right and had been making a ton of noise. I put the originals back on, and the noise dissappeared. Seems odd, but the ride feels nicer too.

What is the worst that can happen from driving on a 2.5" lift with the original shocks? Decreased rear suspension travel when off roading? Because of the OME front coil springs, I have reduced travel in the front end anyway. I'll probably just stick with these guys till they blow up.

Front Tow Hooks,
Mopar Rear-Hidden-Hitch,
Mopar suspension/transfer-case/gas tank skid-plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:45 am 
LOST Newbie

My thoughts are that you won't have as much "droop" in the rear axle. The shock will reach the end of it's travel a few inches before the suspension does. On road, it shouldn't be much of a problem, since rarely, if ever, do you reach full droop.

Off road, you will loose some articulation. The shocks will "hit the end" more often. Whether this will lead to their earlier demise, I do not know. Every coil spring vehicle I ever worked on relied on the shocks to be the "stops" which keep the suspension from over stretching and allowing the the coil spring to fall out. So early wear may not be an issue.

I think the only time shocks have a huge problem with early wear is when they are allowed to "bottom out" before the axle hits the bumpstops, which would be the opposite of what you have. The forces then can be tremendous and result in bent shocks, etc.

I put a two inch puck lift on my Wrangler several years ago, and kept the stock shocks, which have quite a bit of travel. I off-road it a lot, and have experienced no noticable issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It seems strange to me that you're not bottoming out on every bump. I left my stock shocks on for a few days after I lifted mine, and it was brutal. (Of course, my KJ is pre-lowered and I put an RRO Combo lift on it, so my overall height was probably as much as 1" higher than yours.)

I haven't heard much good about the DT shocks. I have Pro-Comps, and I don't much care for them, either. I'm going to get Rancho RSX's (17004) as soon as I get the chance, and I expect I'll have a better ride.

There are other nice shocks out there. I understand Monroe makes some good ones, but they cost quite a bit more. I've seen other posts that said that any replacement shocks for the Dodge Durango will fit a lifted Liberty.

But, back to your question...If you don't FEEL the rear end bottoming out, you'll probably be okay for a while with the stock shocks, as long as you're not offroading much.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:59 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

I have the Daystar 2.5 " lift with the stock shocks and I can't wait to replace them (or the lift for that matter but that's another story). I've done some pretty extensive off-roading and they have lasted but I have no articulation to speak of. I'm not sure if it's because of the lift or the shocks, but my kidneys get the living daylights knocked out of them everytime I hit a bump. So, overall, they work but you won't like them for long.

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:27 pm 
LOST Member

It is crazy to not replace the shocks.

Contact Quinn at BoulderBars.com AKA All J Products and he will help you out.

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:38 pm 
Home, For Now...
Home, For Now...

02LIBRT wrote:

I completely agree with you and I plan to rectify that as soon as I see my KJ again. One advantage of this deployment is that I get to spend a load of money on the KJ when I get back. 8)

'08 105th Anniversary H-D Dyna Low Rider
OH-58D Kiowa Warrior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:48 pm 
LOST Member

KW AV8R wrote:
02LIBRT wrote:

One advantage of this deployment is that I get to spend a load of money on the KJ when I get back. 8)

That aside from serving your country, right? :wink:
Kick some @$$ and be safe - Is that even possible... Okay just be safe!

Later,
J

LOST #000462

Post subject: Hers the problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hope this helps... The problem with using the stock lenght shocks is that they will top out... In other words they will extend too muck. At some point in time after topping out too many time they usually damage themselves and you will have to buy shocks. Again the DT are another shock that is justa universal shocks that fit many different apps but does not have the right bolt dia. The Rancho RSX 17004 has the correct dia. Just tighen it down good and tight and forget about it. later...Clint

KE7JLP