It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi-Lift knock-off jacks at Harbor Freight: $29.99
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Harbor Freight has the 3-1/2 ton, 48" Central Machinery "Farm Jacks" on sale for $29.99 (normally $39.99) through September 26.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... umber=6530

(The price listed on the website is still $39.99, so maybe you have to buy it in the store to get the lower price. Makes sense, anyway, to save on shipping.)

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Maybe I am cheap, but I have one of these and it works well. I can't tell a difference....

L.O.S.T #000522 Life Time #JH053535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:58 pm 
I live here
I live here

Not too sure about the quality of stuff from Harbor Freight. Safety is very important to me. Anyone else have experience with this jack?

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm with TokyoJoe. A hi-lift isn't where I'd cut corners. They can be dangerous, even if they're properly maintained and good quality. The knock offs I've seen are not where I'd try to save money.

That's not to say you can't save money on them, though. The best tip I got was go get my hi-lift at Tractor Supply (a local farm supply store). I got a hi-lift brand jack for $40 while they were being sold for $60+ in the off-road supply mags.

7.3L PSD, Auto, 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

no offense, but don't knock the product unless you have seen it.

This is built extermly well equal to a 'real' hi-jack. Go to a farm store and you'll see for yourself. Just not buying a brand name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:20 pm 
I have to agree. Regardless that I own a Hi-Lift, I can't imagine a "cheap" jack. They're all cast or cast / alum and dangerous! Get what you can afford and always be alert when using a jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:45 am 
LOST Newbie

krazz1e wrote:

This is built extermly well equal to a 'real' hi-jack. Go to a farm store and you'll see for yourself. Just not buying a brand name.

One of my friends runs one of the farm store knock offs. It may look the same, but it doesn't operate the same. Your milage may vary, but I've seen his slip a tooth while jacking and it wasn't pretty. I've also seen a Harbor Freight clamp that looked like any other clamp shatter because of the cheap steel used to make it.

Don't get me wrong, I own several Harbor Freight tools and for the do-it-your-selfer they're a great option. I've saved money on tools that I'll use occasionally at the shop and they work good enough for the money, but I don't fool myself into thinking they're as good as Snap-on or Craftsman tools. I wouldn't use them (or at least not for long) if I had to use them everyday and I always consider safety when purchasing.

It's your call and I may be wrong. Maybe all hi-lifts are made in the same Fram oil filter factory, but I personally won't go cheap on one. They're dangerous enough on their own.

Jeff

7.3L PSD, Auto, 4x4

Post subject: Went shopping today!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

khokhonutt wrote:
krazz1e wrote:

One of my friends runs one of the farm store knock offs. It may look the same, but it doesn't operate the same. Your milage may vary, but I've seen his slip a tooth while jacking and it wasn't pretty. I've also seen a Harbor Freight clamp that looked like any other clamp shatter because of the cheap steel used to make it.

Don't get me wrong, I own several Harbor Freight tools and for the do-it-your-selfer they're a great option. I've saved money on tools that I'll use occasionally at the shop and they work good enough for the money, but I don't fool myself into thinking they're as good as Snap-on or Craftsman tools. I wouldn't use them (or at least not for long) if I had to use them everyday and I always consider safety when purchasing.

It's your call and I may be wrong. Maybe all hi-lifts are made in the same Fram oil filter factory, but I personally won't go cheap on one. They're dangerous enough on their own.

Jeff

Went and looked today and this unit IMHO CHEAP. Took one out of the box very shaky. I will spend the extra money and get a High-Lift. Sometime you get what you pay for. The store had lots of other really good deals and I spent some cash. The lift is $39.99 and they didnt know of any promo.

krazz1e wrote:
Maybe I am cheap, but I have one of these and it works well. I can't tell a difference....

Sorry krazz1e I think the one I saw was junk. It may have been a bad one. I will go shop there again and if its soon I may revisit the unit.

L.O.S.T.#MJ064206
Owings Mills, Maryland
Sport 05
Black
2 L.O.S.T. Stickers
Hook and Hitch added

kjlostcookbook@gmail.com
The L.O.S.T. Cookbook is in the works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone interested in a Brand new 48" Hi-Lift? I bought it when I was thinking of getting into the offroad thing alot more seriously then I actually am. Knee surgery, work, u know the deal. I'll occasionally off road but not going to go nutso.

I have the Hi-Lift, The red plastic base, the Handle Keeper that holds the handle to the unit so it doesn't bounce around and the cast foot/base/gripper thing ( Jack-Mate) that turns it into a more useful tool.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/jackmate/
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/handlekeeper.htm
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/offroadbase.htm

I will sell it all for cost (I'll absorb the shipping) as it's all brand new. Just have to pick it up in lower Westchester, NY.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Went and looked today and this unit IMHO CHEAP. Took one out of the box very shaky. I will spend the extra money and get a High-Lift. Sometime you get what you pay for. The store had lots of other really good deals and I spent some cash. The lift is $39.99 and they didnt know of any promo.

I am puzzled. Northern Tools is where I got mine. It's a Torin rated 7000-lb, exact same as the hi-lift which they sell for $15 more.

I've lifted my jeep on it several times does great.

If you use the accessories of the hi-lift then I can understand getting it, but if you just are using it to lift your jeep to change a flat tire this jack will do that with ease (with rock rails).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

krazz1e wrote:
I am puzzled. Northern Tools is where I got mine. It's a Torin rated 7000-lb, exact same as the hi-lift which they sell for $15 more.

The one at Harbor Freight is made (or, rather, imported from China, or wherever) by Central Machinery. Maybe the Torin is better?

BTW, I looked on the flyer, and only stores in AZ, NM, NV, TX and UT are listed. Maybe it's a regional sale.

Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift knock-off jacks at Harbor Freight: $29.99
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry to raise an old topic. Maybe this information will be useful to someone in the future. :D

I want to tell about my Hi-Lift Jack HL484 48″ Black Cast and Steel Jack. This is 48” cast iron and steel jack and is made up of four different component materials. All the parts are either cast or stamped steel.

This model is quite lightweight, coming in at only 28.9lbs, it delivers a very strong punch of performance.

Rated load capacity: 4,660lbs
Load capacity max: 7,000lbs (Tested)

This model comes with an easy to winch handle, durable mechanical operation, and a shear bolt, so if you decide to lift an M113 Bradley to change a tank tread, well it won’t let you. The mechanism is easy to operate, so I don’t sweat when applying this in any situation.

And one more model it's Torin Big Red 48″ like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-farm-jacks/ which my brother bought recently. The Torin Big Red 48″ ratcheting off-road utility farm jack weighs in at only 30.1lbs and it can life 6,000lbs from 5.12” to 40”. So its an impressive piece of metal machinery.

This model conforms to ASME B30.1 standards, and it operates smoothly. It is used both vertically and horizontally and can be used for lifting, pulling, clamping, winching, and spreading.

The mechanism is really smooth, in fact, its one of the smoothest, we felt, so it competes with Hi-Lift.

It's one usefull video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KbEfqJJLWQ

Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift knock-off jacks at Harbor Freight: $29.99
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Still have the jack available w/accessories - never used.
Anyone interested in a Brand new 48" Hi-Lift? I bought it when I was thinking of getting into the offroad thing alot more seriously then I actually am. Knee surgery, work, u know the deal. I'll occasionally off road but not going to go nutso.

I have the Hi-Lift, The red plastic base, the Handle Keeper that holds the handle to the unit so it doesn't bounce around and the cast foot/base/gripper thing ( Jack-Mate) that turns it into a more useful tool.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/jackmate/
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/handlekeeper.htm
http://www.hi-lift.com/products/offroadbase.htm

I will sell it all for cost (I'll absorb the shipping to me) as it's all brand new. Just have to pick it up in lower Westchester, NY.

$100 for all OBO.

I also have a rear cargo shelf, like new. Originally $250. $100 OBO.

Email - IMF16@aol.com

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230