It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocky Road lift kit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:51 am 
LOST Newbie

:?: Has anybody out there installed the Rocky Road lift kit?

I am considering this for my '03 Renegade as it seems that they recommend nothing over 2.5 lift due to problems incurred at 3" and above.

Please let me know as I'm itching to lift my baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:43 am 
LOST Member

Which one?

RRO has something like 5 of them: 2 Rockfather lifts, OTT, combo and then OME. Not many around here have used the Rockfather, only 1 or 2. I havn't heard any complaints so far. I have the OTT and I haven't had anyproblems buit I would have to say I seem to be in the minority. The combo has been very popular for those looking to go just a bit higher for light to moderate off-road. The OME lift is faily short, well designed, expensive but flexable. This is the only lift with different springs for different setups.

The original Libbies could only go with about 2.5" of lift. After that they had problems with CV joints and UBJ contact (2.5" has this contact). In '02 Libbies were lowered about 3/4" so now we can lift about 3" without problems.

Some people have had problems with RRO. They are a small business with limited capacity. Sometimes it takes a while to get things out the door. We've seen this problem with most suppliers when they become too popular or the demand to too low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The RRO Combo lift is excellent, and, just to be clear, it provides the maximum lift for a pre-lowered KJ, and is equal to any other 2.5" lift for lowered KJs.

To summarize what I think it the general consensus on KJ lifts:

Best (if you can afford it): All-J Frankenlift (~$750)
Best bang-for-the-buck (prelowered): RRO Combo (~$200 + ~100 for Rancho RSX 17004 shocks)
Best bang-for-the-buck (lowered): Rusty's Coil Lift (~$465, but try to get it without Rusty's rear shocks and get Rancho RSX 17004 instead)

I believe the Frankenlift and Rusty's lift both include front struts and rear shocks. The Combo lift does not, but I still have my 4 1/2 year-old stock struts and they're doing just fine.

Not everyone will agree with the above choices, but in the year and a half that I've been annoying everyone on the LOST forums, I've seen these praised and tested the most.

Formerly: 02 White Ltd 4x4 with lots of stuff...
Pics: http://troysterr.com Links & Parts: http://youngs.org/kjparts

Post subject: Rocky Road Outfitters 2.5" OTT Spacer Lift
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:06 pm 
LOST Member

I installed this lift a couple months ago and have been offroading with it since. I have had absolutely no problems with it installed. The only problem came with installing. The directions tell you to use a coil compressor for the front struts to put them back in after the spacer is added. After three different compressors, I found that it was near impossible to find one that would fit into the Liberty's strut. After five days of trying to find one that would fit, I decided to drop the front A-arms, but do not completely remove them. Unscrew the front most bolt first. Then only loosen the back-most. The arm will drop enough to put the strut back in and re-assemble everything else. I should have done this from the start. As for the back, disconnect the shocks and let the rear drop as far as it will go (it will not hit the ground as long as the back is jacked high enough). Do not take the spring out. Wedge the spacer in by having someone else holding the spring up. This lift is cheaper than others (around $200) and is designed and built by Liberty guys who run them on their own Jeeps.

RockFather 2.5" Suspension Lift
RAM Brush Guard
Monroe Front Struts
BFGoodrich LT245/75R16 All Terrain T/A Tires

1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
4" Rough Country Series 2 Lift
Road Armor Bumpers
BFGoodrich 33" All Terrain T/A Tires

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, here is a little trick for reinstalling the lower strut fork bolts when you are installing the OTT kit. All you have to do is put a short strap or cable around the strut fork (we used an axle tie-down strap), hook it to a come-a-long or a ratchet strap and hook the other end to the opposite lower A-arm, a couple clicks and it is over where you need it to be to get the bolt back in, very quick and easy. Hell my wife figured this one out!

T's. husband

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:56 pm 
LOST Member

i also have the ott life and i dont have any problems with it. i think it is a really nice liffe for what you pay for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:34 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Rock Father I installed on my Liberty. Love it works great off and on road. no ball joint contact. rides great . They did take while to ship it I think it was about 2 months before the shipped it. I was told the front coil springs were on back order from Aussy. they are OME springs.

offroad package, pioneer head unit.
Rockfather I, LOST decal
LOST #040306

Post subject: lift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:49 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Rustys version of the OTT in my 2004, it's not as tall (2.0") as the RRO's spacer (2.5") but the same style. I do get some upper balljoint contact at full drop (on jack with both tires off ground) but the swaybar keeps them from hitting when wheelin.

I have over 10,000 miles on the lift and have had no problems (other than installing it) so far. I wish I had known about that ratchet strap idea :oops: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:09 pm 
LOST Member

i have the rocky road ott lift and i have had it on since may i have nod had any probs with it. and i am clearing my 245 75-16's with no problem. i also bought my power trax no slip rear from them and they price match anyone. also i like the company because it is small and everything they sell thay use on there own kj's so if you have a problem with install you can call then up and they can tell you whats going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I have the Rockfather I lift, but have not installed it yet. RRO shipped it to me in under a week. They provided excellent info on the install and provided great customer service when I had questions. I have heard nothing but positives about this lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

yeah i had trouble with my install and i called them and tay said to use a strap or somthing